Tech Forum : putting head back on

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - putting head back on
chad   Posted Sunday, Jun 8th 2:26pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

saskatchewan, canada
79 320i, 82 320i
hopefully today (sunday). and i have a couple of questions. i had piston1 at tdc before removing the head, but now after having the head rebuilt the camshaft and valve arent in the same position. how can i adjust this so that my head is in the same stroke as the bottom end? and i know that i should get new head bolts, but could i reuse my old ones. i dont want to pay $120 for new bolts, ive already put too much into this car. i just want to fix it and get it sold to fund my turbo and suspension for my 82.

thanks.

Tricord   Posted Sunday, Jun 8th 5:18pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Administrator
Post nr. 34

Belgium, Europe
323i Baur
$120 for head bolts? WTF?

I paid $20 for a set of 14 head bolts for the six engine. The price is for a set, not per bolt
So do fit new head bolts at any rate.

About the timing, when you put piston 1 at TDC, there should be marks aligning at the crankshaft pulley. All you have to do is find the marks on the camshaft and cylinder head and align those as well. Then you have to align the distributor.

Once done, put the head on the block and install the timing belt (or chain, in your case) without moving anything and you should be good. The M20 has marks to align everything, so it would be logic to assume the M10 has those as well (or at least other means to align things).

Perhaps an M10 owner can shed more light on this

RDAvena   Posted Sunday, Jun 8th 8:01pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Staff
Post nr. 13

SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0
1981 323i, 1988 545is, 1997 528i
Chad,

On the head just turn the cam to where it is at the #1 piston position, both valves closed. If you notice on turning it to the #4 position the #1 valves will be open. Just make sure that both valves are cloded and this should be fine to reassemble the engine. If you have it this close once you mount the head and if you did not remove the cam gear match the cam to the position of the cam gear. This should finish the last part of TDC than what you had already set on the #1 chamber after you made sure both of the valves were closed.

The m10 bolts just like the M30 bolts can be reused in a pinch. I did this with mine and I have not had any problems after 30,000 miles. M20 are stretch type and must be replaced. You really need to make sure that the bolt holes are super clean and no junk is in there. This will affect the torque values and increse the risk of cracking the block due to the junk that is in there.

On the extra degree settings on your torque. Grab your ratchet and count how many clicks it takes you to go 360 degrees. If it only asks for 30 degrees extra torque count the clicks back to 30 degrees and tighten back to your starting point.Or you can use a paper protractor with degree settings written on them.

Ray

chad   Posted Sunday, Jun 8th 9:04pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 2

saskatchewan, canada
79 320i, 82 320i
tricord, where i live the cheapest place i can find head bolts is the dealer and they are like $11 or $12 a piece, so for the set its like $120.

ray, what did you mean about torquing the bolts 30 degrees? in the haynes manual it says to torque them in three different stages. can i just turn the camshaft by hand?

thanks a lot.

Tricord   Posted Sunday, Jun 8th 9:41pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Administrator
Post nr. 36

Belgium, Europe
323i Baur
If you follow the Haynes manual you should be OK. The degree method just indicates how many degrees you have to turn the wrench in order to complete the stage.

You probably won't be able to turn the camshaft by hand. An oil filter removing tool (basically a belt with a handle) around the sprocket does the trick for an M20 head, but I am unsure of tricks to rotate an M10 head, since it is chain-driven. Sorry I can't be of much help, but I'm an M20 guy myself.

RDAvena   Posted Monday, Jun 9th 6:00pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Staff
Post nr. 14

SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0
1981 323i, 1988 545is, 1997 528i
Chad,

Yep you can do the oil filter wrench trick like Tricord had said on the previous post but wrap a rag or something pliable around the cam gear. This will allow you to turn the cam so you can get the valves set.

The extra degree setting on the head bolts is an additional measurement of torque that is added to the head bolts after running the engine for 15 minutes. Again like Tricord said it depends on the manual. I know for my M30 engine I needed an extra 30 degrees worth of torque after running the engine for 15 minutes. This is usually the 3rd torque setting. If the manual does not specify do not worry about it.

Ray

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.