Tech Forum : homemade turbo setup ,please help me

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - homemade turbo setup ,please help me
82bmw320i   Posted Thursday, Apr 14th 4:51am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 66

Creston, B.C
1982 BMW 320i
Hey guys I have been looking in to making a custom turbo setup for my 1.8L m10.What I want to do is look for any old turbo in good condition from somthing like an old subaru and instaling it in my car.I will have to make a custom exaust manifold or if it's posible to flip the stock one upside down and adapting it to fit. also all the pluming to the intercooler and throttle body. I was wondering if anyone knows how much boost a stock 1.8L could safely take and if the CIS system would adapt to it. I dont know too much about turbos but im doing my research and could use alot of help.
thanks in advance

Chris

myersport   Posted Thursday, Apr 14th 6:05am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 99

east tennessee
'82 320iS. '91 327iC
About the custom setup I can't help, the turbo I installed was in a kit with the exhaust manifold, intake, and plumbing. As for boost, for a short time I ran about 9 psi and the air/fuel ratio was still fat. This was sans intercooler and she was pulling strong! Until the hose blew off the throttle body.I I have it sat at 6 psi until I get some highr quality hose and clamps, and I have an intercooler in the works as well. From what I understand, the stock k-jet can support 180 horsepower if you can get enough air to the cylinders. Hope this helps!
--Dennis

imaradiostar   Posted Thursday, Apr 14th 8:34am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 344

Nashville, TN
81 323i, 82 525i, 85 524td, 90 535i
assuming you use up the headroom with the stock CIS system there's always volvo CIS components to play with.

jamie

redmist   Posted Thursday, Apr 14th 5:01pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 539

NY USA
357i , 325i e30 turbo
I would make one from some mandrel bent header pipe and some metal plate if you have a welder and a plasma cutter. An intercooler from a Saab 900 works well as well as the turbo.

RDAvena   Posted Thursday, Apr 14th 5:07pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Staff
Post nr. 1218

SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0
1981 323i, 1988 545is, 1997 528i
Later Saab Garretts have water cooling ports. There are also pre made flanges for these turbos if you decide on welding a tubular one together.

ads 323   Posted Thursday, Dec 21st 9:48am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

nsw australia
e21 323 turbo
82bmw320i wrote:
Hey guys I have been looking in to making a custom turbo setup for my 1.8L m10.What I want to do is look for any old turbo in good condition from somthing like an old subaru and instaling it in my car.I will have to make a custom exaust manifold or if it's posible to flip the stock one upside down and adapting it to fit. also all the pluming to the intercooler and throttle body. I was wondering if anyone knows how much boost a stock 1.8L could safely take and if the CIS system would adapt to it. I dont know too much about turbos but im doing my research and could use alot of help.
thanks in advance

Chris
i made my own manifold and used a turbo of a volvo 760 it works well

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.