- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - Starter removal question.
jmegabyte   Posted Wednesday, May 4th 3:06am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 8

Pa. USA
1983 320is
Hello all
I have a 1983 320IS that is giving me a headache. How do you remove the starter? I managed to remove the support bracket after much vocal exercise and removed the wiring and mounting bolts. However there doesn't appear to be enough room to slide the starter back to remove from flywheel! Am I missing something simple, or looking at intake removal? Thanks Jon in Pa.

Oahu320i   Posted Wednesday, May 4th 9:36am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 12

Sunny Honolulu
83 320iS
Just did this job. I assume that you have taken out the air cleaner. There are the 2 bolts that go through the bell housing and 2 nuts on the back of the starter that attach to a yoke. After I removed the 2 nuts on the back I bent the yoke out of the way. Now it is just a matter of patience and manipulation. After the starter is free from the bell housing just keep twisting and turning, but be gentle. I recommend replacing your old starter with one from an E30 M3. The M3 starter is much smaller, lighter and has higher torque. I did this upgrade and love it. Best of luck

Aloha,
Mike H

jbob   Posted Wednesday, May 4th 10:30am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 322

AZ, USA
81 320i
as a last resort, some people have unbolted the fuel-distributor assembly.....but it IS possible to wiggle that starter in & out of there without having to mess w/ the fuel-distributor

jmegabyte   Posted Thursday, May 5th 4:59am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 9

Pa. USA
1983 320is
Thanks for the response. I finally got the starter out, only damaging one hose!..ughhh I bought my new starter, and there is no way it will fit, having a slightly larger housing, and 1/2 inch longer. Thanks Mike H, I will be getting an E30 M3 starter.

BarryA   Posted Friday, May 6th 11:39pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 69

Sacramento CA
81 320
Spent several frustrating, knuckle skinning hours (over 3 days) on this task a few months ago & learned a few things in the process:
1. It IS possible to get an M10 starter in and out without moving the fuel distributor, but it ISN'T easy.
2. It is NOT possible to install the virutally identical (but slightly longer) M30 starter without moving the fuel distributor - it LOOKS like it should be possible, but the M10 unit is a few mm too long.
3. There's an ignition module ground wire that attaches to one of the intake manifold support strut bolts - if it's not connected, the car won't start, or worse yet, if it's touching metal, the car will start, then die when vibration moves the wire and breaks the ground connection (took a couple of hours to track this one down....)

aussie323i   Posted Saturday, May 7th 3:21am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 338

australia
1979 323i
Hi there

I had the same problems when trying to remove my brother inlaws starter on his '83 e30- (his is a K-Jet believe it or not- exactly the same as the late e21 set up!!). I couldn't believe how hard this was when the early 320i M10s were so easy due to the fuel distributor being mounted on the inner fender rather than in under the inlet- there was much grumbling and skinned knuckles on my part trying to get this off too!

jmegabyte   Posted Saturday, May 14th 2:25pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 10

Pa. USA
1983 320is
Hello all! Thanks again for the advice,The M3 starter was the perfect ticket for my E21. So now I am back on the road,hugging corners, and saving fuel!..lol Thanks again everyone. Jon in Pa!

jmegabyte   Posted Saturday, May 14th 6:05pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 11

Pa. USA
1983 320is
Aughh! I installed my new M3 starter on my E21. Starter works great, but I keep blowing my fuse to my fuel pump. I do have the ground wire to the support strut on tight, any ideas? P.S. the M3 starter was a breeze to install. Thanks again, Jon in Pa.

g323   Posted Friday, Nov 30th 2:13am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 200

California
323i 1982
a better starter saves fuel how?

melloh   Posted Saturday, Feb 16th 11:26pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 644

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
Doh! I just got the e30 m3 starter this week and uh, what did you do about the bracket? Do I need the bracket from the e30 m3? Or, did you mod the existing one? The bolt holes don't line up at all. I await your answer before I have to special order that part from Pelican... Thank you.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.