-Unified
 -Hosting
 -Personal
 -Vin-checker
 -Events

Registry
 -Index
 -Thumbnails

Tech Forum : oil in the fuel distributor....

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - oil in the fuel distributor....
bruno323   Posted Thursday, May 5th 2:19am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 23

PEru
bmw 323i
today i noticed that the engine is pouring oil to the fuel distributor... all over the hoses over the head... Any particular reason for this?? maybe worn rings?? any solutions...?

Thanks

DHoang   Posted Thursday, May 5th 10:19am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 236

Texas USA
323i, e39 528i, Maserati Spider, Tundra LTD V8 p/up
1) If you mean, upon removal of the intake bellows off of the fuel distributor, you see oil covering all over the inside of the fuel distributor, then perhaps
Oil migrating into the intake plenum is indicative of worn valve guides.

Essentially, oil that is used for lubricating the cylinder walls may be breaching out beyond the valves, and building up pressure inside the valve cover, and blowing by through the large exhaust gas recirculation hoses. Since the recirculation hoses are connected to the air intake bellows, the blow-by will leave an oil film all over the bellows, the fuel distributor flap plate, and inside the intake as well as the cold start valve.

Worn piston rings will usually build up gasseous pressures in the oil pan region, and can blow by the EGR hoses and find its way into the intake boots. It depends on how your system's EGR plumbing is configured.

2) if you mean upon opening up your hood/bonnet, you see oil covering the fuel distributor housing and covering the outside hoses, then perhaps you may have lost your oil cap or it's not properly sealed ? Is your dipstick existing, and sealing the tube ? Maybe you severed an EGR hose.

Tricord   Posted Thursday, May 5th 11:11am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Administrator
Post nr. 822

Belgium, Europe
323i Baur
DHoang, I don't think there are 323i out there with EGR; it's a North American thing

The oil comes through the valve cover breather hose in the vaccuum lines of the fuel injection. A 323i has vacuum in the carter through that breather hose, but a carbed car (such as the 320/6) does not. Since air has access from the cylinder head to the fuel distributor, oil could pass as well. I don't know why usually it doesn't and sometimes it does.

What is the oil in the distributor like? Normal consistency and black, as if it came straight from the carter? Or brown and a little foamy? If it's the latter, you have an indication for a cracked cylinder head I'm afraid

I've had a 323i crack a head on me and it started regurgitating foam/oil in the fuel distributor as you describe. Hopefully it doesn't look like this:

g323   Posted Sunday, Jan 14th 8:30am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 79

California
323i 1982
i havent looked at the intake boot yet, but sometimes there are little bubles in my oil,,,what does this mean?

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.