-Unified
 -Hosting
 -Personal
 -Vin-checker
 -Events

Registry
 -Index
 -Thumbnails

Tech Forum : pics of electric fan replacing visco-fan...

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - pics of electric fan replacing visco-fan...
nsbone   Posted Monday, Oct 6th 10:40pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 11

KL, Malaysia
e21 323/6 316, e34 520i, e32 730i
appreciate for photos of electric fan behind radiator replacing engine driven fan.

I need some idea, to see how it's mounted, use of fan shroud, size of fans, CFM value that's suitable. My visco clutch is not stuck, hence fan is running at nearly engine speed.

rahman

jbob   Posted Tuesday, Oct 7th 2:51am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 62

AZ, USA
81 320i

it's a 14" hayden (haydenauto.com) 3690 Rapid-Cool/Thin-Line electric fan.....it can be used as a pusher or puller fan.

u might be able to see this in the first pic....i had to cut some sections of the safety shroud off so it would clear the water pump pulley. and u'll notice that the fan is not centered on the radiator because of that water pump pulley.

expect a noticeable gain in acceleration above 3,500rpms & lot less engine bay noise.

nsbone   Posted Tuesday, Oct 7th 6:39am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 12

KL, Malaysia
e21 323/6 316, e34 520i, e32 730i
thanks jbod.

I used a Japs 12" inch, it was not enough CFM. The temp goes beyond half with a/c on and idle.

My other challenge is that i am using M20 engine. I will look for 14" fan in my part of the world seems very very rare.

rahman

g323   Posted Tuesday, Nov 28th 3:36am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 22

California
323i 1982
how much are those electric fans? and is there room in my e21 323i to put it in front of the radiator and leave in the mechanical fan i already have in?

imaradiostar   Posted Tuesday, Nov 28th 8:21pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 957

Nashville, TN
81 323i, 82 525i, 85 524td, 90 535i
Just installed a hayden fan this weekend- I'll let you know how it turns out! I had to trim the top and bottom of the housing a bit but it's configured as a pusher in front of the radiator. Fits great!

jamie

aussie323i   Posted Thursday, Nov 30th 1:30am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 545

australia
1979 323i
I run a 16inch Bosch from an e28 with an aftermarket adjustable thermo switch and the two speed arrangement removed (it just runs full speed or off). Works great although it is a little loud when the fan kicks in... my temp is solid as a rock at around 1/4 to 1/3 (I have a low temp thermostat too). This is the case, even at 40 degrees C outside.

This is in front of the radiator though, not behind.

The fan was cheap from the wreckers.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.