-Unified
 -Hosting
 -Personal
 -Vin-checker
 -Events

Registry
 -Index
 -Thumbnails

Tech Forum : what material is the stock manifold made out of?

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - what material is the stock manifold made out of?
chad   Posted Thursday, Jun 12th 8:42am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 6

saskatchewan, canada
79 320i, 82 320i
would it be cast iron?

i dont know how sane this sounds, but i have had a garrett t3 turbo sitting in my room for about 5 months waiting to get put on my car, first a cracked head delayed it, notw the only thing delaying it is getting a manifold. with the high cost of custom, and new being so expensive and hard to find, i was thinking i could block off the original manifold outlet to the downpipe, and have a machine shop adapt the other end of the manifold to attach to the turbo, and want to make this adapter flange out of the same material so that shit isnt expanding at different rates and cracking.

thanks guys,

chad

Tricord   Posted Thursday, Jun 12th 11:08am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Administrator
Post nr. 46

Belgium, Europe
323i Baur
I think it's cast iron, on the M20 it is anyway.

Check out this site about M10 turbocharging. Lots of good info!

RDAvena   Posted Thursday, Jun 12th 5:58pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Staff
Post nr. 20

SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0
1981 323i, 1988 545is, 1997 528i
You can either get one out of a e30 318i and use it upside down, with some modifications. Or buy the one from Cartech that is made for the turbo application.

Welding cast iron will lead to cracks and further spending of money to fix the problems. If you buy one made for the purpose from the get go you won't have to wory about cracking in the future.

"Buy the best, cry once." -Gene Berg

M42powered   Posted Thursday, Jun 12th 7:52pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Staff
Post nr. 29

Arizona, USA
1981 BMW 320i
I think you need to braze cast iron rather than use a conventional welder. Brazing is more like soldering than welding.

chad   Posted Thursday, Jun 12th 9:29pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 7

saskatchewan, canada
79 320i, 82 320i
ray, what type of modifications are we talking about here for the 318i manifold? would a machine shop be able to do this fairly easily?

also does the e23 bigger throttle actually offer any power increases? is it a direct bolt on?

thanks,
chad

RDAvena   Posted Monday, Jun 16th 11:10pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Staff
Post nr. 25

Prob at most it would be like what Otis did to his turbo set up. All he did was add a set of flanges to a section of pipe and bolted this in Between the manifold and the turbo. All the modification goes into that piece then it is just the selection or manufactur of the correct flange for either side.

The bigger throttle body will yeild benefit if the stock pieces are altered like bigger vlaves and such for a N/A motor. For the turbo I think it will only provide a bigger window for the air to go through.

chad   Posted Tuesday, Jun 17th 6:05am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 9

saskatchewan, canada
79 320i, 82 320i
does the e30 318i manifold bolt directly to my 320 head upside down?

RDAvena   Posted Tuesday, Jun 17th 7:09pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Staff
Post nr. 31

Yes it does. Check with Otis on the FI board at the other place he has already done this.

m10_power   Posted Sunday, Jun 22nd 10:06pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 2

The ports on the M10 won't line up correctly with the exhaust manifold when flipped upside down, there is quite a noticable over hang. You could port the manifold but then you would have a large area that would affect the flow. You can weld the exhaust ports on the head and re-port, been there done that, the only real way to do it is to build a custom manifold. Adaptors that bolt on to the stock manifold will work but they are going to be far from ideal. Welding(to a cast manifold) isnt a good idea either, it won't last long and will be a pain to fix all the time.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.