Tech Forum : wandering alignment?

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - wandering alignment?
jesse   Posted Thursday, Jan 19th 8:49am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 349

SF, USA
Dinan 1978 333i, honda insight, audi S4
I have a strange issue. if I take a long right turn my wheel stays turned slightly to the left when I straigten up. same for left. literally every component in the front suspension is less than a year old...

steering rack? rear susp. bushings? thoughts?

thanks. jesse

jbob   Posted Thursday, Jan 19th 12:42pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 344

AZ, USA
81 320i
have you checked for play in the actual shock absorber shafts?

my front driver's side shock had some play in the shaft, which seemed to throw my steering off when loading that side of the car. I had the same symptom your having, except it was mainly noticable during sweeping right turns & especially when more front negative camber was added.

jesse   Posted Friday, Jan 20th 3:16am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 350

SF, USA
hey jbob,

in your case would the steering wheel stay misaligned until you took another long/hard corner?

That's the case with mine. I'll check for play in the shock absorber shafts.

I also thought maybe the rack isn't torqued down properly, which will be hard to check, might as well just get down there and torque it down.

Jesse

jbob   Posted Saturday, Jan 21st 9:25am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 345

AZ, USA
81 320i
the steering would feel like it jumped to another toe/camber setting (and it was a very noticable & quick transition), only when there was a certain amount of load on that driver's front wheel. when i would start to straighten up after a hard to medium sweeping right-turn, the steering would go back to straight & normal.

however, I noticed that when I had a lot of front camber dialed in (-2.5 to -3.0 degrees), often times the steering would stay out of wack after doing a sweeping right-turn (and occasionally while driving on uneven & rough roads). I would have to give the wheel a quick jerk to the left to get back 'normal' steering.

jesse   Posted Saturday, Jan 21st 7:12pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 351

SF, USA
thanks, I hope to get a better look at it today.

Of course it's raining....

cheers,
jesse

phillbriggs   Posted Saturday, Jan 21st 9:45pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 183

Suffolk - United kingdom
BMW E21 320/6A CABRIO, PRE 09/1979 FACELIFT, ONLY 1 OF ITS KIND
it could be your rack playing up.

N8lg   Posted Sunday, Jan 22nd 12:48am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

New Hampshire, USA
'83 320 w/323 M20 conversion
Check the small u-joints in the steering shaft that goes into the rack. If one (or both) are getting bad they could possibly cause that problem. However, when they go they typically will make the car wander back and forth while driving (forcing corrections to keep it in a straight line). At least that's what it did on my car, I ended up replacing the steering shaft.

g323   Posted Wednesday, May 14th 10:49pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 264

California
323i 1982
This is called Memory steer and nearly no alignment shops knew how to diagnose it.

I speak spanish and go to this cheap shop alot (50 dollars for anything). Anyways, i didnt believe the guy when he told me it was the steering mounts, but after replacing EVERYTHING ELSE(tie rods, shocks, the rack itself,,,,) i changed the steering mounts(which were new also!!) and whallah! problem solved, my memory steer was caused by sticking mounts....

http://www.aa1car.com/library/steerpul.htm

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.