Tech Forum : Another one

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - Another one
Matt   Posted Saturday, Jun 14th 5:59am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 25

SF Bay Area
81 320i
I had a couple questions on some random things and any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Can you tell if an exhaust joint is leaking by more heat coming from the joint than the pipe?

What kind of grease should I use when re-assembling the tie rod ball joints?

What kind, if any, of grease should be used when installing rubber bushings?

How can I tell if a ball joint is worn out by looking at it? (without tie rod attached)

Should I re-tourque the Cy;. Head bolts to stock (57lbs)?

Anyone know the max extra current the ignition switch can hold?

I have a creak on takeoff that I've had since I've had the car and would like to know how to fix it or at least what is making the noise. It is coming from the rear and is usually only when starting moving from a dead stop.

M42powered   Posted Monday, Jun 16th 7:23am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Staff
Post nr. 31

Arizona, USA
1981 BMW 320i
Wow that's quite a list. I'll answer the ones I know.

>>Can you tell if an exhaust joint is leaking by more heat coming from the joint than the pipe?

Well, I honestly don't think that you could feel the difference in heat. I'd look for carbon build up on the joints or flanges in question. If it looks like the inside of your tail pipe (black and crusty) on the outside somewhere... chances are you've found a leak.

>>What kind of grease should I use when re-assembling the tie rod ball joints?

I use JT-7... I picked up a case of it a LONG time ago and use it on just about everything. VERY good stuff and very resistant to heat. I use it to pack wheel bearings and the whole lot.

>>What kind, if any, of grease should be used when installing rubber bushings?

Depends on the bushing. Most don't need grease, except to install them. Eurothane bushings require that weird "grease", has the consistancy of powdered sugar and a little water (real sticky too), it keeps the squeaks away. I'd suggest eurothane steering rack bushings BTW.

>>How can I tell if a ball joint is worn out by looking at it? (without tie rod attached)

By how sloppy it is. Tie rod ends should be tight. If you can spin it around without too much effort it's probaby bad. Inspection is a good bet too.

>>I have a creak on takeoff

A creak huh? hmmm... I'd check the lower shock bushings probably easiest to see. Then I'd move to the diff bushings. The thing is that you're loading the rear suspension more than the front when you take off. So chances are it's either the shock, diff or subframe bushings.

JDBeyer   Posted Thursday, Jun 19th 8:40am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 8

N. Humboldt county Ca.
82 323i on steroids
Is .007 ok for valve lash?

You have a M10 2.0? yes, cold. 1.8? better cold start at .008, cold

Should I re-tourque the Cy;. Head bolts to stock (57lbs)?

I tourqe them to 60 but some 1.8 head gaskets were angle tourqed, if you do not know what was done when the head was last put on the engine I would leave it alone. you could have a head that had been angle tourqed!

Anyone know the max extra current the ignition switch can hold?
If you have the newer one made of plastic you are at your limit! if you have the metal one I would still find another place to get power from,What are you going to power up?

What should I do to make a switch for the Aux. fan to work when I want it to?
There is a aux. switch that has a lower setting like 82 c ? Not sure of the temp just a guess, if you need I will get you the part# Just let me know or power up the fan relay with a switch at the dash.I can send you a picture from the etm, let me know what year. Jeff

Matt   Posted Friday, Jun 20th 1:56am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 33

SF Bay Area
81 320i
I will follow your suggestions, thanx.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.