Tech Forum : Turbo on a carburetor

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - Turbo on a carburetor
Jaimeduan   Posted Sunday, Apr 2nd 9:49pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 13

St. Catherine, Jamaica
1982 320/6 carb (E30 2.5L)
Hi guys. A punk ran into the right 1/4 panel of my baby. Damaged the sub-frame, cross member, wheel bearings, and rim. If you think my car was bad, you should see the guys car. It was TOTALED. I am already done the mechanical work, now ready to tackle the 1/4 panel when i had the grandest idea. Instead of repainting that section alone, why not do the entire car? Works fine for me. Then I had another idea. I'm running a 2.5 motor on the solex 4a1, why not turbocharge it using the "blow thorugh" setup. I'm thinking change to a Holley 4bbl carb for better prformance. Has anyone ever slapped on a turbo on their baby before? Let me hear your input guys. It would really held.

Jaime

greggearhead   Posted Sunday, Apr 2nd 11:00pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 41

Colorado Springs, CO
1979 320i
Turboing a blow-through setup is nothing new. It isn't 100% simple, though. If you keep very low boost levels, you can do it without big mods and sealing in the whole carburetor into a pressure box. I have seen lots of carbed setups that used either special emulsion tubes or an auxiliary jet and fueling point added (Harley Turbo setups usually) and Claudes Buggies of VW industry used to do a lot with turboing carbs. Read a lot before jumping in. Old carbs leak at the throttle shafts, etc. and make everything really tough. A new holley with a sealed box is the easiest. I would convert to injection if at all possible. Easier, better, more powre safely.

imaradiostar   Posted Monday, Apr 3rd 9:07am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 687

Nashville, TN
81 323i, 82 525i, 85 524td, 90 535i
if you could find some porsche turbo components and a 323i intake it might make for a much easier conversion.

jamie

ads 323   Posted Thursday, Dec 21st 11:42am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 9

nsw australia
e21 323 turbo
ive got trippel delorto carbys (40dhlah) set up with a blow threw turbo its grate the carbys ara of a alfa gtv

El-74-   Posted Friday, Dec 22nd 7:41pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 13

Argentina
320/6
imaradiostar wrote:
if you could find some porsche turbo components and a 323i intake it might make for a much easier conversion.

jamie

how to put the vertical carb on the 323 intake manifloid ??

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.