-Unified
 -Hosting
 -Personal
 -Vin-checker
 -Events

Registry
 -Index
 -Thumbnails

General Forum : Whats this Tokio Drift BOOOOL SHEEEET????

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - Whats this Tokio Drift BOOOOL SHEEEET????
MayanArch   Posted Sunday, May 28th 8:07pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 963

Florida, USA
Baur E21 2.7 1982, Baur E30 318i 1985, 323i 1978
What is up with that?

bmw_m_320i   Posted Monday, May 29th 2:02am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 648

Helena, Montana
none right now :(
That is a ricer's attempt to go around a roadcourse

cnvkellogg   Posted Monday, May 29th 2:32am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 19

Eugene, OR
78 320i
yeah whats up with turning left to go right and right to go left. Thats just not right.

bmw_m_320i   Posted Monday, May 29th 2:41am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 649

Helena, Montana
I admit drifting a car is fun, and takes alot of car control, even though it IS easier in a FWD since the rear end isnt doing much anyways. But I really dont think it has a place on a Road Course. If you wanna do that go race in SCCA Pro Rally, or WRC!

I just hope people dont start buying old F1 cars and drifting those around courses

I do however think its better than NASCAR

greggearhead   Posted Monday, May 29th 6:26am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 54

Colorado Springs, CO
1979 320i
OMg. Try not to be so closed minded. Watch WRC once in a while and tell me they don't drift. Granted, drifting and WRC are on different levels, but the car control req'd for drifting is substantial, and setup is very important.

BTW, RWD is MUCH easier for drifting - how do you maintain an oversteer condition in a fwd car for a long distance if you can't spin the rear tires?

cnvkellogg   Posted Monday, May 29th 8:43am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 20

Eugene, OR
78 320i
No dought there is a serious skill in drifting. I feel like a real ass when my car starts to drift mid courner and I almost loose it on the track.

bmw_m_320i   Posted Monday, May 29th 10:13am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 651

Helena, Montana
greggearhead wrote:
OMg. Try not to be so closed minded. Watch WRC once in a while and tell me they don't drift. Granted, drifting and WRC are on different levels, but the car control req'd for drifting is substantial, and setup is very important.

BTW, RWD is MUCH easier for drifting - how do you maintain an oversteer condition in a fwd car for a long distance if you can't spin the rear tires?

I never discredited WRC, I love WRC and SCCA ProRally, I wouldnt have mentioned it otherwise. FWD does have an advantage over RWD in those enviroments. Drifting a RWD and a FWD vehicle require 2 completely different driving styles. And looking at the history of rally on loose surfaces, FWD has definately dominated over RWD, and the introduction of AWD is a fairly recent addition. and still even then the Bias of torque is still shifted towards the front wheels considerably. I'm not saying it doesnt require skill, it does in fact require a great amount of skill to maintain an approach angle while oversteering around an apex at 90mph. I mainly dislike the whole ricer image that has grown with the "drifting" scene. And from what I've seen, the way it judged is very similar to figure skating. Automotive Ricer Figure Skating is something I dont think really belongs on the track. And its the general attitude of drifter wannabe's that annoys me, not the figure skating so much. But I see this as a trend that will come and go like last years wave of plastic spinning hubcaps

melloh   Posted Tuesday, May 30th 10:56am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 380

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
I think what he meant re RWD is more suited for drifting is specific to road courses (cement, tar, what ave you). I wont try to explain why this is so, b/c 'm sure you already know.

All in all, I think it is a cool thing. I would love to be able to do a controlled drift at whim. This would mean I have different line options, I am able to control the car in a totally different environment, and damn.. if you think the sound from peeling out is a small thrill, then you gotta give drifting a bit more respect. Alas, I think it is WAY better than snoozeCAR and drag racing by FAR.

MayanArch   Posted Tuesday, May 30th 2:35pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 964

Florida, USA
Baur E21 2.7 1982, Baur E30 318i 1985, 323i 1978
I dont know.......drag racing professional is pretty good. Drag racing street is pretty lame, and meant for muscle car owners who have the suspension of my living room couch.

Actually, I think my Chinese delivery guy was doing some Tokio drifting as he turned the street corner with my kung pau chicken.

melloh   Posted Thursday, Jun 1st 12:05pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 381

1980 320is, 1991 318is
MayanArch wrote:
I dont know.......drag racing professional is pretty good. .

I agree completely that ANY professional performance driving desesrves its own respect and has its unique demands. But, as a performed sport - my opinion is that I can learn to drag a lot faster than I could learn to do controlled drifting. Also in my opinion... as an observed sport, drifting competitions have a much higher potential to entertain.

zak78   Posted Monday, Jun 5th 11:44am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

York, PA, US
'82 320i
Heh. I think many of us are a little uncomfortable with the idea of a motorsport that doesn't have anything to do with "going quicker and faster." The winner of a drift is determined subjectively, and we're used to objective outcomes in our motorsports.

Drifting seems less than legit to some of us probably because it's deliberately flashy and concerned with impressing people...just like the kids with the big wings and the neons, who are the audience for this surely-awful movie*

*that I'm sure I'll see anyway. *laughs*

JJG323   Posted Monday, Jun 5th 8:50pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1214

Reading MA USA
1979 BMW 323i
MayanArch wrote:
What is up with that?

Its just a way to cash in on a franchise name.

At least the orginal had some cool cars, and NOS,
along with some up and comming stars...

melloh   Posted Saturday, Jun 10th 5:53am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 383

1980 320is, 1991 318is
Hmm. I just remembered something. While it may seem slightly contradictory to what I've already written, I am more favorable to the drifting scene as it was originally developed. As anyone in the drifting scene can tell you, it started from very tight and steep mountain driving. "Traditional" driving just did not suit the conditions - also remember back then cars in Japan were not known for their HP or torque, so they used weight shifting to induce drifts and kept it revved up to hold it, and part of their momentum came b/c a lot of the competition was in downhill racing. As mentioned, in order for the fat cats to make money on it, they pretty much tossed out the original 'culture' of drifting and turned it into more of a stage performance. Even so, it still takes some talent... perhaps not as much as it used to w/ the extra 2-400 hp they have now and no 1000ft drop off a cliff and elevation changes, though.

sunbeam***   Posted Saturday, Jun 10th 10:30am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 165

wirral UK
1982 323i
It's ice racing on tarmac.

BruceH   Posted Sunday, Jun 11th 1:33am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 929

Atlanta, GA USA
81 323 Baur, 85 745
Entertainment vs motorsport. 'Nuff said?

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.