General Forum : OT: Is it just me?

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - OT: Is it just me?
imaradiostar   Posted Sunday, Jun 11th 8:28am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 772

Nashville, TN
81 323i, 82 525i, 85 524td, 90 535i
Seems like this place has been kinda slow recently- what have you folks been doing with yourselves? Is the summer heat getting to you? I guess it's technically not summer yet but it's been very hot in Nashville.

I'll go first, feel free to ignore this thread and hurt my feelings.

This Thursday was my birthday- I'm 27 now. Yay Birthday! I'd post a picture but my wife and I have this rule where we're not allowed to look good at the same time, at least not in pictures.

I've been slowly but surely working on my 323i. I ultrasonically cleaned my injectors (and about 10 spares) the other month and hadn't taken time to check cylinder to cylinder flow- so this past week I took the time to adjust the fuel distributor till all 6 sprayed evenly at high and low air flapper lift. It's running more evenly now. Thanks to my wife for helping provide empty beer bottles for the flow comparisons.

I ordered a (somewhat) lumpy cam today for a new engine build up- a catcams 283 from the e30tech group buy. More on that as the engine develops...

My car has no interior at the moment- patching some little rust spots at the bottom of the kick panel below the dash and a-pillar. I hate having to repair rust but there is very little of it on my car so I should be happy.

So...what are you all doing these days to stay busy?

jamie

bmw_m_320i   Posted Sunday, Jun 11th 10:34am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 669

Helena, Montana
none right now :(
I've found myself not having the time to go online as much at work since our season has kicked into full swing, though I have been more actively involved with the development of my e21. I've actually accomplished more lately than last winter, which I think mostly has to do with the fact that we are way more organized ever since we banned the shop owner from overbooking I mean scheduling appointments!

Progress includes a modified E30 318i 2 piece oil pan, which now has a capacity of around 8 quarts. I made an aluminum adapter plate to replace the stock lower pan with a GM 700 R4 transmission pan. By the way does anyone know what the stock lower pan capacity is? I dont have one laying around to measure. The standard 700 R4 pan holds just over a gallon by itself, and deep pans are available everywhere in case I get the urge to increase it to more than 2 gallons. I've also almost completed the serpentine belt drive, which surprisingly uses almost all stock bmw pullies except for the crank. I've got 3 cylinders left to do on the head. And I'm playing around with the idea of replacing the rockerarm retaining springs with aluminum spacers (not the clamp on type but spacers made from aluminum tubing). I've got some ARP head studs, and Pueter connecting rods on the way. The intake manifold is almost complete, I had to change it again to clear the water outlet on the front of the head, and I'm thinking of using ITB's again, but I'm not sure how well that will work with the turbo, although I could install the bypass valve directing on the intake plenum, so the whole system will stay pressurized upto the manifold which should reduce lag since only the plenum has to repressurize instead of the whole system. Oh and I made a heat shield for the 50mm wastegate today

The chassis is still bare, I'm working on removing the entire floor, there is rust in the front and rear floor pans. Plus I want to reduce chassis flex with box tubing like redmist did. I'm tempted to replace the floor with aluminum or carbon (I found some huge scrap sheets on ebay for cheap) I'm working on the E36 dash conversion which will give me more space for guages, a better stereo position, and an electronic speedo for the E28 subframe. I'm also working on installing shortened E28 struts, with custom adjustable control arms, and a E28 rear subframe. I'm doing this for the stronger diff, increased trach width, wheelspeed sensors at all corners, and of course its alot easier finding 5 lug wheels since 5 and 7's use close to the same offset.

Many people have told me I should just buy something newer and I wouldnt have to go through all of this, and its not worth it, or I'm going overboard with this project. But I've come to realise (awhile ago) that I get way more satisfaction out of engineering a car, than just driving one. When this thing is finally running (hopefully in the not so distant future) the feeling of driving a car that I basically built from the chassis up is something that no production car could compare to.

I could go on, But I'll end it here, because I'm sure all of you by now are tired of this mini novel about me and the progress of my never ending project

Oh and Happy Birthday Jamie!

JJG323   Posted Sunday, Jun 11th 12:10pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1222

Reading MA USA
1979 BMW 323i
Jamie. Happy Birthday.

We have had nothing but rain for the last month, and so much, that most people got water in their basement. People around here say that its like seattle and that only if you go back to the 1930s can you match the amount of rain that we have got.
Its rained pretty much every weekend and week, for the past 5 weeks or so!

My 323i is without its interior, headliner, and chrome, as well as some glass.
I am grabbing her out of the shop this friday.
I have the stroker engine in my dad's garage and she is going in next to it.

I need to clean my mustang injectors, who cleans injectors?? - bring the bottom end of the stroker to the machine shop, have them redo the whole 2.8, with a port and polish, and finish this car off. I am regrinding the stock 325i cam to 274, and I have chased down impact strip clips at bav auto, sunroof gaskets, and other small stuff....

I have taken a dremel to a second set of usa housings I found at the junk yard to see what
was needed to get my MTS clear corners to fit.
I took so much off the USA ones, and still they dont fit, so I found some euro housings on ebay,
and also purchased a new interior to my car, that is the same as what my 323i had. There are some parts, like the car's orginal turn singal housings which we cant find anymore...its been apart for so long. I also have a 11 pound 325i flywheel that I had done for me at the machine shop.

I plan on selling my condo, so all my BMW parts are out, including the stroker engine and 524td crank and the extra s50 crank that I have.
I have a 7k special assement and I am getting rooked by a bad managment company, so its on the market.

So now, I cant wait to put the interior and headliner in and get this car going. I
also have an extra set of m20 rods, and
have found a set of s50 rods. I am
going to have my the bottom end of my new
engine evaluated,
and see what it needs. I dont plan on going
with the s50 internals this time out,
just the knife edged 524 td crank and the
2.8 that Tyler built.

I had the a and b pilar trim back ordered for months at Maximillain and finally had Bav Auto order one A drivers, and one B passenger so I can get this interior finished. I still need roof trim, have to get the AFM from you, and finish paying AL for the carpeting kit.

I am also going to Italy for 3 weeks, as part of a major family reunion. Our summers are so short, that in new england there is much too do in a short period of time, and them Bham right back to winter. I actually cant wait to get my 323i on the road....

For the time being I have a brand new fuel filter and new fuel pump, and I will be putting in a new used fuel distributor as well.

take care,
Joe

Tricord   Posted Sunday, Jun 11th 3:09pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Administrator
Post nr. 957

Belgium, Europe
323i Baur
I'm still a student, so lots of things going on at the same time.. Right now I'm in the middle of finals, so I haven't much spare time.

I'd like to get back to the 323i (and the track racer) this summer, to finally get the S edition to the bodyshop for painting.. And hopefully she'll be back on the road somewhere 2007 2008

Some work to be done on the racer as well.. I have an oil leak somewhere I need to fix, I also need to get by with a welder. It doesn't need to look good, so it'll be a good practise.

Apart from that, my life is one big party I've had weeks during which I didn't get to see my bed before 4AM, all week long!

Most of the people here are married, maybe have kids, have a job.. I'm not quite there yet Also, all my cars are older than myself! In fact, all E21's out there are older than myself..

jdench   Posted Sunday, Jun 11th 7:13pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 51

Sussex, UK
1979 E21 323i, 1998 E36 323i touring
I thought there wasn't much going on here either!
It has been very hot here in England (for a change).
I have welded up the holes in my floor pan. It has rusted in some really odd places. (under the throttle pedal, and halfway up the spare wheel well)
I have a nice Alpina rocker cover to go on and I am waiting for my alpina manifold to arrive. (just got to get the rest of the goodies!)
Having fun with the e24 rear seats, but they WILL fit. If someone can get them into a 2002, I can get them in my e21!
Bumpers and headlight surrounds are off being re-chromed, should be done next week
Then I have the joyfull task of wiring in the stereo. (the previous owner had a penchant for using that bloody yellow and green insulating tape!)
I have promised that as soon as it is finished I will take it up to Motormec in Suffolk, so that the long suffering Darren can see the fruits of his labours, endlessly poring through old BMW parts numbers.
Then it will be treated to a tank of super unleaded and some injector cleaner, then taken at high speed to the MOT station (just to clean it through you understand )
Then I will be going to the Classic and Retro Car Show at Santa Pod
Must go, the kettle has just boiled, time for a steaming hot cup of tea

redmist   Posted Monday, Jun 12th 9:11pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 836

NY USA
357i , 325i e30 turbo
Happy B-day Jamie. Ah to be 27 and know the few life lessons I've had beaten into me in my old age.
People just don't get it when they say things like "why don't you just get a new car" "You'll never get the money out of it when you sell it"
etc etc. The fun is in the doing, the creating, the making it something unique and you.
Glad to see everyone is working on their projects.
It's almost sad when they are done.
Me I got the steering setup and am about half way through the firewall fabrication. Hacked apart a rear crossmember for the M3 diff.
Sold what remained of the e12 557 for $700. Was depressed for a couple of days.

Robert   Posted Monday, Jun 12th 10:31pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 95

The Netherlands
1979 320/6, 1980 323i Baur
Since I don't have a place to work on my cars anymore, I can't do anything but buy some upgrades that I can use in the future, all for my 320. Things like full Recaro interior, BBS rear spoiler and a nice new striping kit.
I bought 15" BBS/Mahle rims (2x6J, 2x7J), had them refurbished and mounted them on my 320. Crappy pics, but you get the idea:

In May, I went to a meeting of the 02 Club Denmark (1000km drive) with my Baur. Pics are here for those who are interested: http://www.joeteren.nl/etc/e21/02meetdenmark/
On the way home, at night in Germany, I blew up the engine (wasn't racing or anything, I treat my Baur nice). It's totally messed up, so I'll have to buy a new engine. I was saving money for restoring my 320, but that will have to wait. You can't have everything

sunbeam***   Posted Monday, Jun 12th 11:55pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 172

wirral UK
1982 323i
Sorry to hear about your engine Robert, you got some nice photos of some awesome cars there though!

jdench   Posted Tuesday, Jun 13th 12:39am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 55

Sussex, UK
If you want to try something crazy, FAB here in england have an M70 engine for £500, I have seen some pictures of one shoehorned into an e21.
Just a thought.
(I think the sun must be getting to me )

JJG323   Posted Tuesday, Jun 13th 3:33am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1225

Reading MA USA
1979 BMW 323i
Hi Robert.

I love those rims and I have the same ones.
Sorry to hear about your engine. I was following a m20 MK motorsport auction in germany, and its a 2.8 and seems pretty nice. I dont know what the shipping would be to your location, but if you wanted to go motronic it would be a great upgrade.

On Ebay.de:
BMW M20 Motor von MK Motorsport
Item number: 8074554313

Take care,
Joe

kpeters   Posted Tuesday, Jun 13th 6:00am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 777

San Jose, Costa Rica
1981 320/6 Kastanienrot-Metallic 5spd
Happy Bday mate!

imaradiostar   Posted Tuesday, Jun 13th 6:50am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 775

Nashville, TN
thanks for the birthday greetings- glad everyone is staying busy!

keep it coming!

jamie

jdench   Posted Tuesday, Jun 13th 1:01pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 56

Sussex, UK
Happy Birthday! sorry, meant to type it on my earlier post.

Here are some pics for you.
(If I can get them too work)

It's nearly there!

Robert   Posted Tuesday, Jun 13th 9:40pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 96

The Netherlands
Thanks sunbeam and Joe.
JJG323 wrote:

On Ebay.de:
BMW M20 Motor von MK Motorsport Item number: 8074554313

That looks like a great engine. Is it an E30 engine? I was planning to go original and put in another M20 323i engine, but now that you've mentioned this auction, I'm beginning to have second thoughts. I'm not sure about going Motronic, as I'd like to keep my E21's old-fashioned. Another problem is my Baur is an automatic, and with this engine I'd probably need another gearbox. But thanks for mentioning this anyway
I hope your car will be ready sometime soon. I almost can't wait to see it, with that red colour and gold rims. Awesome

And of course, happy birthday to Jamie

JJG323   Posted Tuesday, Jun 13th 9:46pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1227

Reading MA USA
1979 BMW 323i
Robert wrote:
Thanks sunbeam and Joe.
JJG323 wrote:

On Ebay.de:
BMW M20 Motor von MK Motorsport Item number: 8074554313

That looks like a great engine. Is it an E30 engine? I was planning to go original and put in another M20 323i engine, but now that you've mentioned this auction, I'm beginning to have second thoughts. I'm not sure about going Motronic, as I'd like to keep my E21's old-fashioned. Another problem is my Baur is an automatic, and with this engine I'd probably need another gearbox. But thanks for mentioning this anyway
I hope your car will be ready sometime soon. I almost can't wait to see it, with that red colour and gold rims. Awesome

And of course, happy birthday to Jamie

Yeah I noticed that engine, its just i have one already in my garage that i want in my 323i, and shipping from germany to usa is some money.

From what the guy told me, its a reconditioned, MK motorsport 325i engine with 282 cam and 2.8 liters. You would need to convert to motronic, but this can be done, and also need a 5 speed...

but 220 hp is fun eh?

Anyway I am hoping to focus in on my 323i, soon as I get it back from the shop this week.

later,
Joe

imaradiostar   Posted Tuesday, Jun 13th 9:50pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 777

Nashville, TN
no need to convert to motronic, many E21's out there are running CIS/K-jetronic with an old-fashioned distributor and making great power- Marquis Rex and JDBeyer are forum members that have done this. I wouldn't count my engine among the ranks of theirs but mine is a long way from running out of fuel and the spark plugs have a nice tan color- it doesn't hesitate and doesn't seem to be running rich or lean at all- something I rarely see with motronic.

edit: my engine is a 2.7 bottom end with an E30 323i cylinder head and modified E21 intake manifold. The e21 manifold needs substantial modification to correctly match the E30 (731 casting or 885 casting) head- you need to add material to the bottom of the runners.

jamie

Robert   Posted Wednesday, Jun 14th 2:56pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 97

The Netherlands
imaradiostar wrote:
no need to convert to motronic, many E21's out there are running CIS/K-jetronic with an old-fashioned distributor.

edit: my engine is a 2.7 bottom end with an E30 323i cylinder head and modified E21 intake manifold. The e21 manifold needs substantial modification to correctly match the E30 (731 casting or 885 casting) head- you need to add material to the bottom of the runners.

So if I understand this correctly: I have to transfer my K-Jetronic from the current engine to the new one and source fitting manifolds somewhere.

There's another problem with the gearbox. My car is registered as having an automatic gearbox and I like to keep it that way. So I guess I have to use an E30 325i auto gearbox, but that does not have a connection to the E21 speedometer. Any thoughts on this?

If I'm going off topic too much, just say so

JJG323   Posted Wednesday, Jun 14th 6:30pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1228

Reading MA USA
1979 BMW 323i
You can mate the existing k-jet to the 325i manifold by using the 323i injectors, you need to weld them in place or something.

There are people that have done this.
I am not one of them.

You can also upgraded your k-jet to a porsche fuel distributor. I have the numbers if you need it.

You can bolt your 323i tranny to the newer style m20...

later,
J

Robert   Posted Wednesday, Jun 14th 8:56pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 98

The Netherlands
JJG323 wrote:

I know, but that's the 3-speed automatic, the engine is way too powerful for that.

JJG323   Posted Wednesday, Jun 14th 9:01pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1229

Reading MA USA
1979 BMW 323i
Robert wrote:
JJG323 wrote:

I know, but that's the 3-speed automatic, the engine is way too powerful for that.

Then you need a 325i tranny or 323i tranny.

BarryA   Posted Wednesday, Jun 14th 9:30pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 157

Sacramento CA
81 320
Happy B-day from here as well - Got the E21's a/c back in operation (turned out to be a bad aftermarket expansion valve - forgot what a PITA taking the whole console/evaporator chest apart is), is blowing 37 degrees F at the vents.

Although the other car stuff has been back-burnered by the onset of warm weather and the backlog of landscaping projects endemic to trying to keep up with 3/4 of an acre, one way or another, the 323 rear brakes and adjustable camber rear crossmember WILL go in this year!

imaradiostar   Posted Thursday, Jun 15th 8:54am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 779

Nashville, TN
what is "a/c?"

jamie

Marquis_Rex   Posted Wednesday, Jun 21st 11:13am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 443

UK
BMW 323i 2.7-as featured in Total BMW Nov 2002,Porsche 911/993TT
Hi Jamie, I've been really really busy in my new job and I've also got engaged.
I know I owe you a response to a private message and I will get around to it! Sorry, haven't been online much at all.
My E21s been fine, although it upsets me and my fiance when we see how much the hull is comprised of rust. A thorough overhaul must be on the cards. Changed the wiper motor recently.
Finally sold one of my properties in England, and have had to deal with all the legal stuff and paperwork.
Been immersing myself into the Porsche 911/993Turbo world alot now, out of work, am looking into the factory approved 22 Bhp upgrade with larger oil cooler. I don't think I want to go to the larger K24 turbos unless I'm able to up the capacity, go twin plug and raise CR.

I also have some career-irons in the fire- that could land me more Westwards (that's all I'll say for the moment)....but I'm not holding my breath!

jdench   Posted Wednesday, Jun 21st 1:06pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 67

Sussex, UK
imaradiostar wrote:
what is "a/c?"

jamie

It's having your windows and sunroof open

redmist   Posted Wednesday, Jun 21st 5:28pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 850

NY USA
357i , 325i e30 turbo
An option some of you anti- a/c and sunroof folks (like me) may want to consider is a roof vent. I got a Subaru STI type setup for $190. Aluminium roof vent and fiberglass scoop. With the firewall done I really don't have an alternative to ducting in fresh air.
Here is the link if anyone is interested.

http://www.get-primitive.com

KenDanielson   Posted Thursday, Jun 22nd 12:04am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 192

Petaluma CA
'82 320is, '78 320i

As you can see my '82 was involved in an "altercation" with a full size Toyota pickup rear bumper. No damage to me or the subframes-just bent sheetmetal and bruised ego...

Here's what's been going on with it since then.
http://www.e21motorsports.com/kendanielson/resurection.html

ken

imaradiostar   Posted Thursday, Jun 22nd 5:40am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 785

Nashville, TN
Marquis- congrats on your engagement! Exciting times ahead, hang in there man! Good stuff about the Porsche, I'm surprised you're not taking the engine design into your own hands like the 323i.

Ken- sorry about the car! It's amazing how much damage was prevented by the US 5mph bumper- looks like it really saved your hide and the car from damage...or not. It's amazing to see just how little damage actually occured there once the fenders and core support came off.

jamie

KenDanielson   Posted Thursday, Jun 22nd 5:46am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 192

Petaluma CA
'82 320is, '78 320i
Actually, the pickup bumper went right over my bumper. I have solid mounts that move the bumper all the way back to the body sheet metal, leaving only 1 rib of the "accordian". If the bumpers would have met I would have certainly damaged the front subframes enough to make it beyond repair. The kidney grill actually took the hit first, didn't hold up too well. I was really surprised that the subframes and inner fenders were virtually untouched. That radiator support was REALLY mashed!

Damp, oily pavement... 3 more ft and I would have stopped without contact. Sometimes your Karma really sucks.

I spent the past week on a 2800 mi road trip for work and now the garage is well over 110 deg. F so not much more has been done. Hope it cools off this weekend...

ken

Marquis_Rex   Posted Thursday, Jun 22nd 8:57am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 448

UK
BMW 323i 2.7-as featured in Total BMW Nov 2002,Porsche 911/993TT
imaradiostar wrote:
Marquis- congrats on your engagement! Exciting times ahead, hang in there man! Good stuff about the Porsche, I'm surprised you're not taking the engine design into your own hands like the 323i.

Ken- sorry about the car! It's amazing how much damage was prevented by the US 5mph bumper- looks like it really saved your hide and the car from damage...or not. It's amazing to see just how little damage actually occured there once the fenders and core support came off.

jamie

Thanks Jamie,
I guess I have played around with the idea of going to a 3.8 litre capacity on the Porsche, twin plug (only the naturally aspirated were twin plug because on the Turbo there's secondary air injection and no room), 9:1 CR (up from 8:1), Motec engine management and perhaps two K 24s and a bar of boost, however I'd have to remap, and I'd be nervous about the catalyst temperatures: OEM cats are usually mapped to 850-950 deg C peak temps, but the temp is measured at the exhaust gas flow, but in the aftermarket there's no comparable way to measure this temperature like for like.
The car is also air cooled and I wonder if the fueling is used to cool somewhat- I don't know. My realm of experience is water cooled pent roof 4 valve engines
The other thing is that it's a REALLY expensive car, and I don't think I could afford the hit in value if the car loses originality!

nowloadingrage   Posted Saturday, Jun 24th 11:24pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

Tennessee, U.S.
83' 320i -w- Century Turbo
Happy B-day Jamie. I turned 28 on the 1st. Good times.

You ask: "what have you folks been doing with yourselves?"
I see some of you are getting dirty. I've been under a 320i for the past 2 months. Had a rod bearing spinning on the crank and a leaky piston ring. Went through the 3 blocks I have collected for the past 10 years. Had the best one line bored and cleaned up. Everything new in the bottom end except pistons and crank. Also got a new oil pump with the new sleeve and a high volume sprocket & chain. I got the new motor in 3 weeks ago. At this point I have to do the 600 mile oil change. After driving it I went ahead and replaced the distributor, which made a big improvement, the a/c dryer, and the alt. It is down to timing it (due to the valve rattling sound at 5,000rpm and getting a boost gauge on it so I can turn it up. Last checked the turbo was set at 3psi. Someone mentioned earlier in the post that they were sad when they got the 320 project done. I don't know about all of you but I spent the last 6 months dreaming about it. Now that's its done I could not be a happier man. My dream has come true and the real car is better than what I had dreamed it to be.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.