General Forum : Advice wanted

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - Advice wanted
sunbeam***   Posted Tuesday, Jun 13th 9:16pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 174

wirral UK
1982 323i
Just picked up my new screen and now need to fit it.
I've had conflicting views on the easiest way to do it...any of you guys had expirience?

jdench   Posted Wednesday, Jun 14th 1:31am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 57

Sussex, UK
1979 E21 323i, 1998 E36 323i touring
Park it in the sun for 2-3 hours before taking the old one out. This makes everything a lot easier! Also taking the steering wheel off makes it easier when you are working from the inside.
Make sure to check for rust on the inside of the sealing strip, they rust on the bottom corners sometimes (damp carpets suck! as does a glovebox full of water )
Use a couple of rolled up towels when you are pushing on the glass as well, you don't want it in about 30,000 pieces!

redmist   Posted Wednesday, Jun 14th 3:59pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 840

NY USA
357i , 325i e30 turbo
I found it to be a real pain in the arse. Putting the cord around the gasket worked ok is you go slow and lubricate the rubber. Personally I will take it to a professional next time.
When you take the old one out you will probably find a little (or a lot) of rust. You have to make it smooth and level in order for the new one to seal properly. Por-15 the whole channel and use epoxy putty to level any low spots.

MayanArch   Posted Wednesday, Jun 14th 4:47pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1002

Florida, USA
Baur E21 2.7 1982, Baur E30 318i 1985, 323i 1978
Redmist....have tried getting POR15 in the inside of the channel. If so, how did you do it?

gerbob   Posted Wednesday, Jul 26th 7:15am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 8

British Columbia, Canada
1978 320i (american) 1982 320i (american)
remove the locking strips (carefully if your trying to save them they get brittle) by running a small screwdriver or similar tool under the strip and gently pulling upwards on the strip. If you are replacing the rubber gasket take a razor knofe and cut rubber along the window's edge. If saving the rubber take a plastic blade tool and run it along the rubber and glass to loosen the bond of time. from inside the vehicle apply pressure as evenly as possible (two people works better if your trying to save the glass) PUSSHH. Oh yea maybe have a blanket or something covering the hood (or bonnet as some of you folks like to call it) With the glass out clean up the rust and refinish the lip. Now I learned this part the hard way. Put the rubber in first! Why? Because if you use the rope method you take your nice vinyl headliner and pillar trims and as you pull on the rope the vinyl starts to bunch up. So.... PUT THE RUBBER IN FIRST. a little tape on the top to hold it for temporary maybe. Set the glass into the rubber with the help of your fingers and the plastic blade tool (cheap-free at glass shop) once the glass is in the rubber the real fun starts. get a squirt bottle or similar with some water and dishsoap and lubricate the channel for the locking strip very well. set one edge of the locking strip into the channel and with the help of your plastic blade tool carefully work the strip back into the channel. Sealant is not normally required but may be used if compromising conditions are present. I hope this is helpful to someone. I sure got a lot of different opinions on this before I did it twice.

redmist   Posted Wednesday, Jul 26th 10:28pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 911

NY USA
357i , 325i e30 turbo
My advice is to remove the window, remove and rust in the channel, paint with POR-15 and take the windsheild, a new BMW OEM gasket, new OEM BMW lockstrips and go to a professional installer.
Sure people have done it themselves, myself included. But it is a ROYAL PITA!!!!

sunbeam***   Posted Thursday, Jul 27th 1:15am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 187

wirral UK
1982 323i
I forgot to post an update on this post!
Considered doing it the old school way with the seal on the glass and a piece of cord to pull the screen in, but ended up doing it as gerbob said....keep the seal on the body, rest the screen in the lower channel then flip the seal over the screen working up the sides and around the top to meet in the middle.
I was a doddle all done in 5 mins....took another hour to get the expansion strip in though!

bmw_m_320i   Posted Thursday, Jul 27th 11:50am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 703

Helena, Montana
none right now :(
The expansion strip is more of a pain than the actual glass in my opinion. I use the same basic method, and always the worst part is putting in the lockstrip, it still takes over a half hour with the special lockstrip tool

imaradiostar   Posted Thursday, Jul 27th 4:42pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 836

Nashville, TN
81 323i, 82 525i, 85 524td, 90 535i
I use a Saab tool to install the lockstrip- I'd say ten minutes absolutely tops for installing the lockstrip with it.

jamie

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.