-Unified
 -Hosting
 -Personal
 -Vin-checker
 -Events

Registry
 -Index
 -Thumbnails

General Forum : How do you prime an oil pump?

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - How do you prime an oil pump?
DP57   Posted Thursday, Jun 29th 6:51pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 21

CA, USA
'82 320i, '94 318i
I'm (still) putting my engine back together and I've put in a new oil pump. It says to make sure it's primed before you start the engine. How do you go about doing this ? Is there a special tool or process?

jbob   Posted Thursday, Jun 29th 8:18pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 364

AZ, USA
81 320i
maybe turn the crank by hand (after topping off the oil)?

Before firing up the motor for the 1st time, I just ran the starter for 3 minutes: in 30-second intervals to allow the starter motor to cool.

no problems with oil pressure @ the first start: just above 4-bar @ idle with cold 20w50...it went down to about 2-bar @ idle after the oil warmed up (and holds @ 4-bar when the rpms go up)

imaradiostar   Posted Friday, Jun 30th 9:08am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 793

Nashville, TN
81 323i, 82 525i, 85 524td, 90 535i
When I built my M20 I took a spare oil pump drive gear from an E30 325i engine and pressed the gear off of it. With a little work I was able to turn it with a drill and build up the oil pressure before the engine was ever started.

I don't suppose that'll work on an M10, of course. You could always make an adapter and pump oil in through the filter adapter using some sort of external pump.

jamie

aussie323i   Posted Friday, Jun 30th 1:51pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 509

australia
1979 323i
with my new engine I went the JBOb route... just turned the engine over with the coil wire removed for short intervals till the pressure built up- then she fired up just fine!

also you might need to manually prime the pump as you assemble the engine... just fill it with oil and spin the pump over using the sprocket till oil comes out I think... someone else may have more info.... I'm not sure if you need to manually prime all oil pumps (been about 4 years since we rebuilt my m20!)

good luck

Madhatter   Posted Friday, Jun 30th 5:15pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 50

Australia - QLD
E21, E24, E30
Fill the pump with oil from the inlet side. Then before starting the car and running it, pull the fuel pump fuse/relay and crank the car over on the starter for 10 seconds. If it doesnt have oil pressure by then, something major is wrong.

Cranking it for longer periods of time, or alternating between periods is useless as pressure simply drops once the motor stops turning over.

velocewest   Posted Friday, Jun 30th 9:03pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 522

Oregon USA
e9, e12x2, no E21?
If you used assembly lube on all the contact surfaces in the engine (you did, right?), then just crank it over with the coil wire off until you see oil pressure.

Tony

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.