General Forum : The joys of being a parent

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - The joys of being a parent
redmist   Posted Sunday, Jul 9th 12:57am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 889

NY USA
357i , 325i e30 turbo
I didn't think it possible but my son threw a rod on his 535 turbo. Complete professional shortblock rebuild by Olsen Engines in Nyack less than 2000 miles ago. I can't imagine the abuse that caused that to happen (1st to 2nd shift at 8K?)
EVERYthing on that car was rebuilt or new. Striping the parts off of it and junking it
Such a nice car too. Sigh.

Bill in MN   Posted Sunday, Jul 9th 2:09am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 6

Minnesota USA
1988 735, 1986 535 turbo, 1981 Baur 323i
Ouch!!

What year? What type of turbo?

melloh   Posted Sunday, Jul 9th 2:42am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 392

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
Dude.. is this the same son the bunked another car of yours??? Seems like de ja vu...... Sounds like your son needs to be gettin a job to buy himself his own car to destroy. And believe it or not, I'm not an old fart - 26 and no blown up cars cuz paid for everything myself.

kpeters   Posted Sunday, Jul 9th 4:25am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 782

San Jose, Costa Rica
1981 320/6 Kastanienrot-Metallic 5spd
You should seriously consider not borrowing your cars to your son. :S Buy him a Hyundai Excel that he can trash.

imaradiostar   Posted Sunday, Jul 9th 4:25am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 818

Nashville, TN
81 323i, 82 525i, 85 524td, 90 535i
Man...that's a bummer! I kinda have to agree with the above- I had to buy my own cars! I know accidents can happen but if it was a professional rebuild and you know it was put together correctly is there any excuse other than abuse?

jamie

JJG323   Posted Sunday, Jul 9th 5:00am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1253

Reading MA USA
1979 BMW 323i
redmist wrote:
I didn't think it possible but my son threw a rod on his 535 turbo. Complete professional shortblock rebuild by Olsen Engines in Nyack less than 2000 miles ago. I can't imagine the abuse that caused that to happen (1st to 2nd shift at 8K?)
EVERYthing on that car was rebuilt or new. Striping the parts off of it and junking it
Such a nice car too. Sigh.

Can you find another engine for it?
Dont let him drive any more cars..
for a while until he learns the valve of a buck.

redmist   Posted Sunday, Jul 9th 5:50am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 890

NY USA
357i , 325i e30 turbo
This is the THIRD engine. Oem one blew. I built one...bluweee... Had a "bullit proof" built...blamo. No more cars until next summer, then he gets my e30. Hopefully he'll mature by then.
It had an 1991 e34 motor with a turbo setup from a 745i. Had a 284 cam and headwork. Scary fast above 3500RPM. R.I.P.

imaradiostar   Posted Sunday, Jul 9th 5:51am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 820

Nashville, TN
You should slap an eta engine in the thing....heheheheh.

jamie

bmw_m_320i   Posted Sunday, Jul 9th 8:04am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 687

Helena, Montana
none right now :(
hahaha, or M21 so at least you get better MPG

usang36   Posted Tuesday, Jul 11th 10:36pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 17

Oregon
78 320i, 83 320iS
Put a rev limiter on the next car so that is shuts down above 3500 rpm. Teach him to be nice to the car...are you sure it was him- did he admit it? The car might be posessed...

JOhn

imaradiostar   Posted Wednesday, Jul 12th 1:50am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 826

Nashville, TN
Three engines blown- maybe there was some sort of engine management issue? Did they all go in similar ways?

jamie

Bill in MN   Posted Wednesday, Jul 12th 4:19am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 9

Minnesota USA
1988 735, 1986 535 turbo, 1981 Baur 323i
285 is a lot of cam for a turbo car. How many psi? Compression? Chipped or standalone mgmt?

melloh   Posted Wednesday, Jul 12th 4:52am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 396

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
I know diddly about mechanical stuff and compression stats for turbos and cam angles... but I am damn confident redmist wouldn't make a car anything less than spectacular. Also, I'm sure you all have heard something similar to this:

Once - ok maybe an accident or malfunction

Twice - bad luck, maybe malfunction

Thrice - abuse, misuse, lack of respect, lack of maturity, et cetera... and definitely lesson NOT learned.

In my family, I never was allowed to make it to three (when smacking the child was still somewhat lgal) and almost never made it to 2 (it was too close to 3!). Staying at 1 or below was best because I was able to retain trust and therefor absolute freedom. Anything over 1 and freedom was reduced exponentially.

Now a behavior therapist for children w/ learning disabilities... we make sure kids stay at 1 or below w/ heavy and constant reinforcement. When they do worse, the contrast is made by having all reinforcement disappear (we dont use punishment) so the message is clear enough.

Marquis_Rex   Posted Wednesday, Jul 12th 10:46pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 457

UK
BMW 323i 2.7-as featured in Total BMW Nov 2002,Porsche 911/993TT
My E21 323i was the first car I ever bought when I was 17 years old. I saved up for it and my father was still furious, saying it was a "selfish and inconsiderate purchase" and was sure I'd kill myself within the first year.
I think I thought too much like an engineer with too much mechanical sympathy for that to happen. That said, I did some crazy/foolish things on the roads I would never dream of doing today (Like getting the car in pro longed drifts or wagging the tail to "salute" passers by).
I don't know if I could even do that today, even on "The Ring".
I just seemed to know my E21 and have more confidence with it back then.....

redmist   Posted Thursday, Jul 13th 7:18pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 895

NY USA
357i , 325i e30 turbo
Melloh it was definetly abuse. The first OEM motor with 188k he rev'd it so high the rocker arm moved off the cam (overcame the side spring pressure) and set off a chain reaction of broken rockers and valves.
The second motor he sheared the bolts off the cam gear and wasted the valvetrain.
The third was the rod, spun and disenigrated the crank bearings (A nitrided crank which makes this even more amazing).
The car ran perfect we had air/fuel guages, indicators, extra oil coolers. The plugs were not too black or gray, temperatures stayed well within tolerances. We had a turbo chip by TCD and bigger injectors, pressure guages, two high pressure fuel pumps and bigger injectors. Motor was completly balanced. We were only running 14PSI. 8.5 to 1 compression. MSD ignition Wonderfull motor. He did say he was a quart low after the rod let go which even pisses me off more.
Abuse plain and simple IMO.
I agree with the concensus here. It shows no respect for me, his car and other people. I don't trust him. He needs to mature before he drives anymore. It's a shame. He is a great great great kid in all other respects, but when he gets behind the wheel he is a menace and not in control of himself.
I let him use my e30 to get to work last week and we promptly had four cop cars show up at our house the other night. I won't get into it here. Time for some hard love.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.