General Forum : New life for something old

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - New life for something old
melloh   Posted Sunday, Jul 9th 3:10am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 393

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
Well, it's official now. My e21, after 2 years, has been straightened out. Expecting for it to cost loads and loads of $$$, it ended up costing only 175 to straighten the frame!!!! He even offered to hammer out all my dents and repaint and patch a hole the PO drilled in the trunk for an antenna for 1500 - pretty damned reasonable IMO. Too bad I just don't have the $$.

So, this will officially be the most expesive tinker-toy I have ever owned (but hopefully not 'will ever own' ) .

It's going to be an excruciatingly slow process getting it ready for light track duty as it will be my designated street-legal light track/auto-X dedicated training wheels and take some of the load off the e30. This will also probably mean I will be selling off non-essential stuff like interior panels and stuff once I settle in to my new place to help jumpstart the transformation. I still die a little when I think about breaking my first-born up, though... it was a damn thing of beauty with it white on black s-package vinyl until that damned truck ran me off the road . Could have been a nice collector, but not nomore. Sorry... I digressed into my remeniscing on this little rollercoaster of automotive emotions. At least it won't be crushed/parted out and has a thrilling new future ahead of us.

Expect LOADS of stupid greenhorn questions to be asked for many many years to follow I eventually want to be able to do just about everything on this car myself from changing bulbs to basic body work to engine rebuilds. Currently, I'm still at the lightbulb level... well, most of them at least :p

First thing is to figure out the lack of power - feels fuel related. Hope to really tackle this after I move in Aug up to San Jose, CA where I will have a place to store and work on the car. Thats about it for now. Just wanted to share my excitement !!!!!!

kpeters   Posted Sunday, Jul 9th 4:23am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 781

San Jose, Costa Rica
1981 320/6 Kastanienrot-Metallic 5spd
Nice! well I had a lot of problems with my car too, slowly you will make it look nicer and work better it just need patience and money .

JJG323   Posted Sunday, Jul 9th 5:02am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1254

Reading MA USA
1979 BMW 323i
How did you straighten the frame?
Mine was done on a frame machine.

melloh   Posted Monday, Jul 10th 4:01am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 394

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
I just sent it to a shop here that one of my mechanics (the one who likes e21s and encouraged me to keep it) recommended. He even balanced the wheels (on the car). The steering feels so much lighter now...

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.