-Unified
 -Hosting
 -Personal
 -Vin-checker
 -Events

Registry
 -Index
 -Thumbnails

General Forum : Possible junkyard score?

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - Possible junkyard score?
imaradiostar   Posted Sunday, Jul 9th 5:47am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 819

Nashville, TN
81 323i, 82 525i, 85 524td, 90 535i
So...I live in Nashville and there aren't a lot of good junkyards. There's a pullapart that's pretty decent but the cars usually get picked over in a pretty big hurry.

My wife was out riding horses with a friend today so me and a friend (her husband) drove around and checked out a few of his favorite junkyards- little backwoods places you wouldn't usually find.

So I walked to the "German" section not expecting much. I saw a few ratted out E28's and a really messed up 320i. I looked for stuff I wanted/needed and didn't find much. Next I found a '77 320i with a non-ac center console and sport suspension. I was all excited to have found some neat parts that I totally missed the greymarket 323i parked next to it!

It's got a five speed, power steering, some sort of sport springs, aftermarket swaybars, newish plastic injector lines and crank breather plumbing, an '87 200 casting head, bilsteins front and rear (in internally threaded 320i front housings, oddly enough), a bent up but rust free rear euro bumper, and lots of usable metal and rubber trim and random parts. I can't tell for sure but I'm 75% certain that it has Supersprint rear mufflers too! Most of the interior is trashed because the windshield is gone and the interior has been wet for a long time but there is a ton of good stuff on this car!

It has Audi wheels- yuck. Can't have it all I guess.

I'm negotiating with the yard owner for the purchase of the whole dang car. I'm super stoked!

jamie

Tricord   Posted Sunday, Jul 9th 7:38pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Administrator
Post nr. 967

Belgium, Europe
323i Baur
Sounds like a good find. I hope you can get it for a bargain price.

Maybe with a new interior and some work you can get it back on the road?

If it has sport options, you might even find it has an LSD!

Rickysbmw320i   Posted Sunday, Jul 9th 10:06pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

mn
83' 320i --> 83' e21
hey, if those bumpers are near 90% perfect, i would love to buy those from you!

JJG323   Posted Monday, Jul 10th 1:23am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1255

Reading MA USA
1979 BMW 323i
Interested in the swaybars and front subframe if its the later year one.

imaradiostar   Posted Monday, Jul 10th 1:35am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 821

Nashville, TN
81 323i, 82 525i, 85 524td, 90 535i
JJG323 wrote:
Interested in the swaybars and front subframe if its the later year one.

I thought your car already had ST sways?

In all honestly I don't know if I'll be able to get the car. Even if I am I'm going to be hanging on to most of the stuff to swap onto my car or a 320i I might be acquiring later this year from a family member.

The car has been hit front and rear so it's really not a very good candidate for a total rebuild. Who knows- maybe all the parts I want could be trashed in one way or another. The front euro bumper is gone and the rear one is bent in at the middle- I was hoping it was in good enough shape that it could be straightened and used but I won't know for a while.

It'll be a while before I'll be able to get at the thing again but if I can take the whole car I'll do it! If I end up selling the parts I'll refer to this thread as a "first dibs" list.

jamie

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.