General Forum : Getting Euro spec parts got difficult today

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - Getting Euro spec parts got difficult today
Bill in MN   Posted Thursday, Jul 13th 8:15pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 10

Minnesota USA
1988 735, 1986 535 turbo, 1981 Baur 323i
I just learned via an e28 parts source that BMW NA is no longer allowing euro spec parts to be sold in the US. This edict came down this morning and could have implications for anyone with a grey market car or anyone having converted to euro spec items.

That's the extent of my knowlege. If true it looks like we've got to get a bit more inventive for parts procurement.

imaradiostar   Posted Thursday, Jul 13th 9:21pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 831

Nashville, TN
81 323i, 82 525i, 85 524td, 90 535i
What is the parts source, if you don't mind me asking?

I just called my local parts source (BMW dealership) and he seems to think that's bunk! I've ordered many a part for my greymarket car and he sees no reason why it should change.

I wonder what would make them do or say such a thing when they stand to make money from mobile tradition parts?

jamie

redmist   Posted Thursday, Jul 13th 9:39pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 896

NY USA
357i , 325i e30 turbo
If anyone REALLY needs a Euro spec part direct from BMW NA let me know. I can't abuse the connection but I can get them.

Bill in MN   Posted Thursday, Jul 13th 10:35pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 11

Minnesota USA
The info. is in the form of Parts Information Bulletin 060106 that came across the screen of one of the "parts pimps" in the e28 community earlier this AM. He's a parts guy at BMW of Chattanooga.

I just got off the phone with them and there's still more to learn but his understanding is that most euro parts are going to be NLA,effective now. As for greyamarket cars????? He read the whole enchelada to me and it sounded like a bunch of legal mumbo jumbo. In short it seems that while it may not be entirely impossible to get euro parts it is nontheless going to be more than a little difficult to get them. There will be a mess of paperwork to fill out and submit before orders can be completed.

Again, this is the extent of my knowlege. This could all be a big bunch of nothing or it could be a real pain in the ass. Any dealers in Canada on this board?

edit:

I'm new to the e21 community and am not sure as to the impact this will have but I can say firsthand it will make having an e28 a bit more interesting. Euro conversions are very popular with the e28 crowd.

Madhatter   Posted Thursday, Jul 13th 11:53pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 55

Australia - QLD
E21, E24, E30
so just give them a 7 digit euro vin when quoting parts? there isnt any way they would be able to stop selling you parts for a car already in the US.

Frankly, i cant see them stopping any parts at all, sounds more like something a government would try to enforce (re: possible safety issues) rather than bmw itself.

BruceH   Posted Friday, Jul 14th 12:03am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 953

Atlanta, GA USA
81 323 Baur, 85 745
It was my understanding that this was directed at the current production cars. If this is truly directed at the Vintage market then I suspect I will be mobilizing a BMW CCA campaign directed at Mobile Traditions as this runs contrary to their purpose.

Bruce

MikLem1   Posted Friday, Jul 14th 5:42am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 21

PA/NJ
1980 323i Baur, 1979 Alpina B7
Are we only talking about dealers not being able to get euro parts?

Madhatter   Posted Friday, Jul 14th 6:53am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 56

Australia - QLD
E21, E24, E30
well, bill said the parts guy at bmw, so that would tend to suggest dealers only. I dont know how it works overseas but parts suppliers here usually dont get bulletins from head office, so i guess it would depend on where they get their parts.

cnvkellogg   Posted Friday, Jul 14th 9:14am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 27

Eugene, OR
78 320i
I am th parts manager for a BMW dealer in the states. I am going to call BMW tomorrow to see if this applies to all years and models or just current. If I under stand it correctly we will not be able to order 323i parts to install on a 320i. Unless proper info and proof of vin being a real 323i that was properly converted to US specs,no more rear disc brake arms,bumpers, subframes, euro lights, etc. So I will not be driving my car on the street. Some ya who could smack me and its all over for my e21.

Bill in MN   Posted Friday, Jul 14th 2:51pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 12

Minnesota USA
Anyone on this board from Germany?

myersport   Posted Saturday, Jul 15th 2:45am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 184

east tennessee
'82 320iS. '91 327iC
I got a copy of the bulliten today. It's kinda vague, as it doesn't state that most parts are no longer available to us. It does state that a form needs to be filled out completely and faxed in, (I didn't get a copy of the form), and it states that:

"Parts can be obtained Immediately if the following documentation, with the VIN included, accompanies the order:
1. Exemption letter from a foriegn consulate
2. Temporary import papers from the US Department of Transportation
3. Proof the vehicle has been converted by an independant commercial importer so thst it is in compliance with US regulations."

This bulliten seems to hint that this is directed at newer cars. I need to check again, but I believe I read on an EPA website on importing cars to the US that cars older than 25 years old did not need to compliant. Most Graymarket cars are nearing that age anyways, so this may be a moot discussion. We may just need to fill out an extra form. However, copies of import papers (whether or not they ACTUALLY match the car parts are being ordered for may become a hot commodity!

There is a list of parts that will not under any circumstance be brought into the country:

1. Emission relevant parts
-complete engines
-transmissions
-final drives
-control units
-catalytic converters
-airflow meters
-certain fuel system parts

2DOT safety relevant parts
-exterior lights
-wheels
-BRAKES
-seat belts
-air bags
-glass
-mirror glass

3. Non USA Accesory Items.

"In addition, any requests which may seem to be non-compliant (example: racing parts) by the parts technical section will be subject to further review by the Environmental Compliance and Customs sections of BMW NA before importation."

Big Brother has entered the building.
--Dennis

imaradiostar   Posted Saturday, Jul 15th 3:53am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 833

Nashville, TN
81 323i, 82 525i, 85 524td, 90 535i
I get the impression this is geared much more toward more modern cars- I hope I'm right!

jamie

cnvkellogg   Posted Saturday, Jul 15th 6:37am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 29

Eugene, OR
78 320i
I talked with BMW NA today and the main reason and the first line in the bulleton is "ALL OF NON-US SPEC PARTS ARE NOT RETURNABLE. Seems BMW will not let USA to return parts back to Germany so they are not letting us return to them. Too many warehouses are getting parts back from dealers that are not being resold. Basically you order it you bought it. The reset of the bulleton is greard more towards the new cars. They told me that we wont blink if I order a e21 euro part, with the exception of the list of parts above. Then the info will need to be on record for the order to be complete. BUT most important I can drive my e21 again with out worry!

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.