-Thumbnails

General Forum : secret to a factory smell

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - secret to a factory smell
gerbob   Posted Sunday, Jul 23rd 3:16am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

British Columbia, Canada
1978 320i (american) 1982 320i (american)
gut the interior including the carpets. The key to a fresh smell is no residual odor causing materials such as food and mold. Wash the carpet and hang to dry. good time to re-dye the carpet possibly with sem vinyl dye. This will also improve the smell. Close up the rust holes in the floor and apply paint or other coating. clean the inside of the doors and bottoms of the quarters. Good time to apply a wax rustproof product. Install interior pieces all individually cleaned (or replaced as nec) Now go to your local upholstery shop and find the smelliest piece of raw leather you can find (they don't all smell like leather) and tuck it up inside the dash (mine is above the glove box) If you like the smell of european leather this does the trick. The car smells like new.

phillbriggs   Posted Tuesday, Aug 1st 12:52am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 226

Suffolk - United kingdom
BMW E21 320/6A CABRIO, PRE 09/1979 FACELIFT, ONLY 1 OF ITS KIND
secret is: dont fart

MayanArch   Posted Tuesday, Aug 1st 4:00am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1098

Florida, USA
Baur E21 2.7 1982, Baur E30 318i 1985, 323i 1978
its amazing what gets under these seats. The sheite I pulled out from under the carpet and under the seats is amazing............a 80's style tube sock......$3.87 in change......who knows how old french fries....makes you wonder what McDonalds puts in those things. I certainly didnt eat french fries, and I have had the car for 10 years!!!!!!!! That came from the previous owner.

imaradiostar   Posted Tuesday, Aug 1st 5:21am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 839

Nashville, TN
81 323i, 82 525i, 85 524td, 90 535i
I've always enjoyed the smell of an old BMW or Volkswagen. I tend to think the mold in the area the car was built tends to remain in the car throughout its life- thus lending that "old German car smell."

My cousin and I have been speculating about ways to restore that smell after a restoration.

jamie

kpeters   Posted Tuesday, Aug 1st 5:57am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 787

San Jose, Costa Rica
1981 320/6 Kastanienrot-Metallic 5spd
Mercedes smells funny too.

myersport   Posted Tuesday, Aug 1st 6:11am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 184

east tennessee
'82 320iS. '91 327iC
After working on BMW's for any length of time, you can almost tell the year of the car just by the smell of the interior.
--Dennis

melloh   Posted Tuesday, Aug 1st 7:45am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 398

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
You know... I had a girl sit in my car once and she said it smelled like her dad's old BMW (i think it was an e28). My bet is the materials used in the carpeting and seat stuffing.

chupchup   Posted Tuesday, Aug 1st 8:06am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 68

Singapore
320m20
ohhhhhh this really makes me feel glad that I owned my 320 almost from day one!!!!

BTW I found a Passed QC cert AND beer bottle crown cap underneath my carpet when I stripped out the car....... makes me wonder the truth about German QC. Well at least the guy was drinking good qty beer when he was putting my car together....... ha!!!!

redmist   Posted Tuesday, Aug 1st 3:29pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 919

NY USA
357i , 325i e30 turbo
I prefer the smell of a failntly rich exhaust and various lubricants coming up to operating temperature preferably on a crisp fall morning pulling onto a race track.
Even though I have the means it is very unlikely I will ever buy a new car.

usang36   Posted Thursday, Aug 3rd 8:29am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 18

Oregon
78 320i, 83 320iS
The 'old car' smell is probably the fumes coming off the plastic dash baking in the sun. Nice and toxic like. Old brit cars smell like this also...I enjoy the smells too. New cars suck, especially when something goes wrong and its out of warenty...
John

MayanArch   Posted Thursday, Aug 3rd 2:36pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1106

Florida, USA
Baur E21 2.7 1982, Baur E30 318i 1985, 323i 1978
There is only one new car that I have not regreted. I have had VWs, Mercedes, and Jeeps, and the only new car I liked from first to last payment was my E36 323is.

kpeters   Posted Thursday, Aug 3rd 7:53pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 788

San Jose, Costa Rica
1981 320/6 Kastanienrot-Metallic 5spd
Yeah I love the smell of old european cars, not sure about french cars but german, brit and italian.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.