- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - My car is dangerous
Tricord   Posted Thursday, Aug 3rd 9:57pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Administrator
Post nr. 970

Belgium, Europe
323i Baur
I took the 2.7l track racer home today.. it was an 8km ride home with a bit of highway. I hadn't driven the car since last april.. The engine fired almost right away, and the agressive purr of the 2.7 came back to life! The 320/6 is literally a sheep compared to this shark.

Anyway, it was raining so the roads were wet and slippery. I noticed I didn't have much traction, although I have proper 205 wide rain tyres (not slicks!). That's all good fun, but when I took the highway I lost the rear pretty bad. At that time, a huge truck was just passing by. I corrected the slide, but the car went slipping the other way. I managed to get grip again and continue my way, but these jokes are scary when you don't expect them. No harm done though.

It was surreal.. Tapping the gas in second gear at any rpm breaks the rear loose. Even at 110km/h in 3rd, flooring the gas would spin the rear wheels

It makes me wonder though, if I get bad surprises at 180HP, what will Pete get with his V8 conversion? One tip mate: don't drive when it rains

blair winter   Posted Friday, Aug 4th 3:26am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

Oregon, USA
'81 323i, '70 2002, '97 540i/S
Well that all sounds perfectly fun to me! Glad you gathered it up.

I am reeeeeeeely looking forward to a hotted up 2.7 of my own. My builder core has been sitting in the garage for 3 years now. Time to git 'er done!
Cheers,
Blair

ichiwan2   Posted Friday, Aug 4th 5:22pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 233

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
BMW320/6(e21)
What kind of rain tyres do you use - not all rain tyres are treated equal.

Yoko ES100 looks like a rain tyre but is hopeless in the wet.

kpeters   Posted Friday, Aug 4th 5:55pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 789

San Jose, Costa Rica
1981 320/6 Kastanienrot-Metallic 5spd
Good to hear you're ok!

Im looking forward to my 2.7 conversion

Tri are you using 2.7 bottom, 200 casting head and solex carb? I bet it is a gas guzzler

redmist   Posted Friday, Aug 4th 10:54pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 921

NY USA
357i , 325i e30 turbo
When I went to Lime Rock in the rain with the M30 powered e21 I had to back off in 4th because the tires kept spinning at over 100 down the front staight. One lap at the end of the straight I started to brake and the rear came right around at about 120. Luckily Lime Rock has an escape road at the end of the straight or I would have been toast. My son who was watching totally freaked. My instructor was white as a ghost. I had street tires on so maybe track tires will be a liitle better.
Regardless next time it rains I'm going home. Too much stress not enough fun.

Tricord   Posted Saturday, Aug 5th 5:14pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Administrator
Post nr. 972

Belgium, Europe
323i Baur
kpeters wrote:
Tri are you using 2.7 bottom, 200 casting head and solex carb? I bet it is a gas guzzler

Yeah, although I'm running an E30 323i head. It's identical to the 200 casting save for the bigger inlet ports. I have a (somewhat crudely) port-matched 320/6 intake manifold with a Solex 4A1 from a 728.

I stuck the big barrels wide open with zipcord. Now the engine doesn't run very well under 4000rpm
I'm hoping to find a schrick cam and a triple Weber setup one day though.

kpeters   Posted Saturday, Aug 5th 7:53pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 790

San Jose, Costa Rica
Well I bet it sounds awesome

MayanArch   Posted Saturday, Aug 5th 9:07pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1107

Florida, USA
Baur E21 2.7 1982, Baur E30 318i 1985, 323i 1978
Tricord wrote:
kpeters wrote:

Yeah, although I'm running an E30 323i head. It's identical to the 200 casting save for the bigger inlet ports. I have a (somewhat crudely) port-matched 320/6 intake manifold with a Solex 4A1 from a 728.

I stuck the big barrels wide open with zipcord. Now the engine doesn't run very well under 4000rpm
I'm hoping to find a schrick cam and a triple Weber setup one day though.

How did you go about doing that? wouldnt that mess up the simmetry? Dont all ports have to breathe identically the same?

kpeters   Posted Sunday, Aug 6th 10:11pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 791

San Jose, Costa Rica
Why not using the "200" head?

MayanArch   Posted Monday, Aug 7th 12:09am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1108

Florida, USA
kpeters wrote:

The 200 head has drastically smaller inlet ports than the "is" head. However, the 320/6 manifold is perfect for a turbo or supercharger setup from what I hear.

Tricord   Posted Monday, Aug 7th 12:47am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Administrator
Post nr. 973

Belgium, Europe
323i Baur
kpeters wrote:

I had a spare E30 head laying around which I would never have put on a stock E21. I figured I could use it on the 2.7 engine and slightly benefit from the larger ports, while keeping an extra original 200 head as a spare.

MayanArch wrote:
The 200 head has drastically smaller inlet ports than the "is" head. However, the 320/6 manifold is perfect for a turbo or supercharger setup from what I hear.

It's not really an "is" head, it's just an E30 320i or 323i head. Revised casting from '82 and up for the same engine.

I'd go for a fuel injection system if I were to use forced induction. Carbs are usually optimised to suck in surrounding air, so it can be difficult putting forced induction on them effectively (unless the carbs are specifically designed for forced induction, of course). Injection systems typically have a central airflow meter, which is an excellent point to connect the turbo or supercharger to.

kpeters   Posted Monday, Aug 7th 8:27pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 792

San Jose, Costa Rica
Hmmmm Bentley continental turbo used a 4A1.

MayanArch   Posted Tuesday, Aug 8th 5:15pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1111

Florida, USA
Tri,

What about the porting. Dont all ports have to breathe identical. I thought a home made porting would do more harm if it was inacurate.

Tricord   Posted Tuesday, Aug 8th 7:01pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Administrator
Post nr. 978

Belgium, Europe
323i Baur
MayanArch wrote:
What about the porting. Dont all ports have to breathe identical. I thought a home made porting would do more harm if it was inacurate.

I don't see what you mean. The E21 head has slightly smaller inlet ports than the E30 head. Since I used the E30 head with an E21 intake manifold, I took a dremel to the 320/6 intake so that the apertures would match with the head. That's all there is to it.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.