General Forum : Flex-disc brand

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - Flex-disc brand
melloh   Posted Thursday, Aug 31st 5:02am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 408

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
mildly OT, but I'm getting a flex-disc for my e30. I found somone who is selling one for $30 so I asked him the brand. Answer: "SGF" Made In germany

Yes, item is new.
In my research it seems febi is the oem supplier. So, should I buy this "SGF" one or spend the extra 20 on the febi?

Also - sidebar question: how difficult will this be to replace on my own? As many of you know, my monkey-wrenching abilities are still at the beginning level. (I've done: brakes, oile & filter, clutch master & slave, and other normal/maintenance easy stuff... but always trying to learn more!)

imaradiostar   Posted Thursday, Aug 31st 6:52am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 860

Nashville, TN
81 323i, 82 525i, 85 524td, 90 535i
I prefer to drop the exhaust and center support, remove all 6 bolts and flex the driveshaft out of the way. Your car should have a splined coupling in the middle; this makes it easier to flex the driveshaft out of the way.

If you don't have a lift or a set of very trusted jackstands I wouldn't brave this one at home. Be prepared to get very messy. If there is any oil around the output or shift shaft on the transmission now is your chance to replace the seals. If you're going to pull the output flange off it's very helpful to have a 1/2" impact wrench of reputable manufacture. Ingersol-Rand or the like, not the stuff you'll find at discount tool places. Pawn shops are ideal- for under 400 you should be able to find a small air compressor and used impact gun. All you'll need then is a 36mm (IIRC) socket. Wal-mart sells Stanley brand large metric socket sets that are more or less throwaway tools but I've been a full time mechanic for three years now and I haven't managed to break a single on of them! The set I have is 27, 30, 32 and 36mm I think.

jamie

cnvkellogg   Posted Thursday, Aug 31st 8:07am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 35

Eugene, OR
78 320i
I have seen after market flex couplers turn to junk in less that a year. Stick with the OEM its worth the extra in my opinion.

melloh   Posted Thursday, Aug 31st 9:10am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 409

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
Cool. Thanks for the replies! I will get the Febi from a worldpac source, then.

Regarding doing it at home, I'm at a impasse.

My experience has been that I attmpt something like this and get stuck somewhere in the process (like when I changed the control arms on the e30... took me 2 weekends!!! now i should be able to do it in a day or less). This is when having a spare car is handy. So, this subject will be on hold until I get the e21 here (just moved from LA to San Jose). Also, I don't want to bother you w/ detailed questions until I study the bentley manual. In the meantime, I'll address the tools needed...

I do have jack stands, and don't mind going to kragen to get another pair for <$20. I do have a drive-up ramp... that should be ok to use for this, right?

As for the impact wrench and compressor.. how necessary is this? I'm sure I will eventually find uses for the new 'toy' (raised to love tools!) but, being back in school, 400 is a big bite. And, I don't have a lot of storage space - landlord (aka: pappy/pops/dad) is already unenthralled about keeping the e21. I do have all ranges of standard ratchetting wrenches and a breaker bar for each (well... a long steel pipe that slips over the handle).

redmist   Posted Thursday, Aug 31st 4:42pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 942

NY USA
357i , 325i e30 turbo
One mistake I made when I changed out one on a m30 motor was to remove the metal band around the guibo prior to installation. Don't know if the e30 is the same but I will soon find out.
Bought a 1987 black 325es that I am basically overhauling. Rebuilt "I" engine, manual trans, all new Ireland Engineering stage 3 suspension,
long tube headers, rear mount turbo.
Have all the peices, starting this weekend. (Waiting for the stub axles to be made for the e21 357, at a standstill till I get them, another 3 weeks )

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.