General Forum : Another quick poll: Cayman S or ///M coupe

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - Another quick poll: Cayman S or ///M coupe
wharthog   Posted Friday, Sep 1st 7:50pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 47

SF Bay,California, USA
1982 323i, , R1150RT
Money is an object. Keep in mind the perfornamce is VERY close and the base price of the Cayman S is $3K more. Than a LOADED ///M coupe. Real world out the door difference would be about $8-12K depending on options...

kpeters   Posted Friday, Sep 1st 8:32pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 803

San Jose, Costa Rica
1981 320/6 Kastanienrot-Metallic 5spd
Gotta say I'll go for the Cayman S.

BruceH   Posted Friday, Sep 1st 8:50pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 996

Atlanta, GA USA
81 323 Baur, 85 745
M Coupe. If I was buying from Stuttgart it would be a 911.

wharthog   Posted Saturday, Sep 2nd 12:16am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 49

SF Bay,California, USA
1982 323i, , R1150RT
911 is WAY out of the price range. I would have to sell my first born as it is to even lease one of them for 2 years...

imaradiostar   Posted Saturday, Sep 2nd 3:16am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 861

Nashville, TN
81 323i, 82 525i, 85 524td, 90 535i
it's a tough call...but they're two very different cars!

Do you need to carry anything?

Have you driven both?

jamie

BruceH   Posted Saturday, Sep 2nd 6:38am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1000

Atlanta, GA USA
81 323 Baur, 85 745
A blonde and haven't driven both.

Rickysbmw320i   Posted Saturday, Sep 2nd 10:29am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

mn
83' 320i --> 83' e21
i drove the cayman s the other day, my buddy dads just got one. it most certaintly doesnt drive or feel as good as a bmw! the newest bmw ive driven that i compared the cayman was the 2005 m3. i love the bimmer all the way! dont get me wrong, porsche is really fun to drive but the bimmer is more confortable, alot more convienent!

ichiwan2   Posted Saturday, Sep 2nd 11:25am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 239

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
BMW320/6(e21)
I would rather go with 911 Turbo from the 1980s. That one can bite you in the ass if you are not careful....

aussie323i   Posted Saturday, Sep 2nd 2:44pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 519

australia
1979 323i
I presume we're talking the Z4M? In which case I have to say that it's the only new BMW I've really liked the look of in recent years... and I don't actually like the look of the back of the cayman so... M coupe all the way!

Tricord   Posted Saturday, Sep 2nd 8:01pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Administrator
Post nr. 996

Belgium, Europe
323i Baur
I like the Z4 out of the box, but I was severely dissapointed driving a 2.5i a couple of years ago. I'm sure the Z4///M is a whole other game though.

The Cayman has yet to grow on me. Usually, I don't like any car at first, getting to like it comes gradually (or not at all).

Right now I'd lean towards a Z4. But if money isn't an objection, I'd take a 911 over anything else. In fact, it is my secret dream to buy a 911 from the seventies one day...

wharthog   Posted Sunday, Sep 3rd 6:42am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 51

SF Bay,California, USA
1982 323i, , R1150RT
I have driven them both. The ///M feels quicker around town; better gearing, lower torque curve. The ///M is also more fun because you can throttle steer it like Hans Stuck in a tight corner (the dealer actually let me!)

The porsche comes alive way up in the RPMs (around 4800 or so) and that flat six right behind one's ears is magical. Much more balanced cornering as well (mid engine, better tires. longish shift throws compared to the ///M but as precise and quick as a rifle bolt.

The Porsche commands such a price premium and as my wife said, "every time some guy pulls up next to me in a Porsche I just think; What a tool."

redmist   Posted Monday, Sep 4th 3:29am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 944

NY USA
357i , 325i e30 turbo
uhhh. e21 V8, with the leftover $ I can pay a couple years college tuition.

jbob   Posted Monday, Sep 4th 4:15am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 376

AZ, USA
81 320i
haha, E21 V8 FTW!

Both (Cayman S & Z4M) are beautiful looking cars, but I'd opt for the Z4M. Of all the new BMW's to come out, I really liked the Z4, and the hardtop version is hot!
Also, if you plan on holding on to it for a while, maintence will be significantly easier/cheaper with the BMW.

redmist   Posted Tuesday, Sep 5th 2:39am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 945

NY USA
357i , 325i e30 turbo
You know you are right. I saw the Z4 hardtop in the showroom and fell in love. Really like the Z3 hardtop as well. Really don't lust after any other cars except the Ford GT.
The only one I would shell out any real money for ($15 to $20k) would be a used Z3 hardtop. Have to wait a couple of years....

wilbryant   Posted Wednesday, Sep 6th 5:41am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 54

GA
82 Baur 323, 95 M540
I think I would have to go Cayman S, Porsche has got some special thing is store for that car....stay tuned.

Speaking of the Ford GT, has anyone checked out that new Shelby Corba....Not a Ford guy but I do like that.

velocewest   Posted Wednesday, Sep 6th 6:30am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 541

Oregon USA
e9, e12x2, no E21?
I'd have to go Cayman. I'd probably buy a Z3 based M coupe, despite the Joe Camel nose, but the Z4 has too much Bangle on it. Cannot do it.

Tony

Marquis_Rex   Posted Wednesday, Sep 6th 1:16pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 472

UK
BMW 323i 2.7-as featured in Total BMW Nov 2002,Porsche 911/993TT
As it happens I'm driving around in a Cayman S right now while my Turbos in for some work.

Nice car, nice sound, well put together, good handling but doesn't feel special like an old air cooled 911. I don't think it feels as well put together either.

However I don't like the Bangle styled Z4M although I did quite like the old Z3 M- so I would go for a last of the line Z3 M!

redmist   Posted Wednesday, Sep 6th 3:50pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 948

NY USA
357i , 325i e30 turbo
Marquis brings up a good point and why I don't get new cars. They just don't have soul. I could give them some but it is hard for me to hack up and modify an insanely expensive car.
Like the air-cooled 911s but the spares are too expensive. Call it Porsche and the price gets tripled. e21 and e30 parts are cheap as a result of the larger production runs and BMW commitmentment to supporting the older models.
I was shocked at how cheap it was to get two new fuel tanks for the e21 and two new front fenders for the e30 directly from BMW.

Marquis_Rex   Posted Wednesday, Sep 6th 5:51pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 473

UK
redmist wrote:
Marquis brings up a good point and why I don't get new cars. They just don't have soul. I could give them some but it is hard for me to hack up and modify an insanely expensive car.
Like the air-cooled 911s but the spares are too expensive. Call it Porsche and the price gets tripled. e21 and e30 parts are cheap as a result of the larger production runs and BMW commitmentment to supporting the older models.
I was shocked at how cheap it was to get two new fuel tanks for the e21 and two new front fenders for the e30 directly from BMW.

Totally agree, one of the reasons why I DO NOT want to live in Germany forever and would love to move to the USA. People here are obsessed with new cars. They're techno-philes and talk about miles per gallon but totally ignore the depreciation.
If you talk of modifying your car they look at you as if you're totally insane- very different to both the UK and the USA.

Just for the record the 993 Turbo is about as new a car as I'd go to really.

I AM tempted by an E36 touring 328i over here, purely because they're SOO cheap and because the system is geared up towards taxing anything old and/or with a big engine off the road.....

How 'd love to live on the West Coast, not worry about rust and have an E9 as a daily driver...

BruceH   Posted Wednesday, Sep 6th 8:27pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1006

Atlanta, GA USA
81 323 Baur, 85 745
>>How 'd love to live on the West Coast, not worry about rust and have an E9 as a daily driver...>>>>>

Your worry would then be an illegal immigrant with no insurance hitting you and your insurance company totaling the car.

Marquis_Rex   Posted Wednesday, Sep 6th 11:38pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 474

UK
BruceH wrote:
>>How 'd love to live on the West Coast, not worry about rust and have an E9 as a daily driver...>>>>>

Your worry would then be an illegal immigrant with no insurance hitting you and your insurance company totaling the car.

No different from England then....

velocewest   Posted Thursday, Sep 7th 2:20am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 542

Oregon USA
e9, e12x2, no E21?
Marquis_Rex wrote:

How 'd love to live on the West Coast, not worry about rust and have an E9 as a daily driver...

Eh... With an e9, there's no point in worrying about rust. That's like worrying about getting older -- it's inevitable, save your energy. I suppose if your version of the "west cost" is somewhere south of San Luis Obispo, but no closer to the ocean than Sacramento, you might get away with putting the rust in a holding pattern.

For my money, the ideal daily driver is an e12. Cheap to buy, cheap to insure, reasonably economical, available with most of the modcons, easy and relatively inexpensive to mod, almost invisible to Jonny Radargun, and possible to drive without becoming completely emotionally involved. I suppose an e21 ranks similarly, but I'm spoiled by big 6 grunt, I could never go back to an M10. If it gets too expensive to drive my e12, I'll buy a Yammy R6.

Tony

Marquis_Rex   Posted Thursday, Sep 7th 8:48am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 475

UK
velocewest wrote:
Marquis_Rex wrote:

Eh... With an e9, there's no point in worrying about rust. That's like worrying about getting older -- it's inevitable, save your energy. I suppose if your version of the "west cost" is somewhere south of San Luis Obispo, but no closer to the ocean than Sacramento, you might get away with putting the rust in a holding pattern.

For my money, the ideal daily driver is an e12. Cheap to buy, cheap to insure, reasonably economical, available with most of the modcons, easy and relatively inexpensive to mod, almost invisible to Jonny Radargun, and possible to drive without becoming completely emotionally involved. I suppose an e21 ranks similarly, but I'm spoiled by big 6 grunt, I could never go back to an M10. If it gets too expensive to drive my e12, I'll buy a Yammy R6.

Tony

Who said anything about going back to an M10?
M10 associated with an E21 is purely an American affliction
I can't rememeber the last time I saw an E12 out here in Germany and in the entire 9 months Ive been here I've nly seen 3 E21s not including mine..

melloh   Posted Thursday, Sep 7th 11:54am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 413

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is

Tony[/quote]
Who said anything about going back to an M10?
M10 associated with an E21 is purely an American affliction
[/quote]

Yeah yeah... RUB IT IN WHY DONTCHYA!!!!!!!!!!

BruceH   Posted Thursday, Sep 7th 3:20pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1007

Atlanta, GA USA
81 323 Baur, 85 745
A m10 in an e21 is a concept I am not familiar with.

Actually not true. I bought a 320 brand new in 1981. It was slow and when the AC was on it was slower.

velocewest   Posted Thursday, Sep 7th 11:03pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 544

Oregon USA
e9, e12x2, no E21?
Well, my e21 was a 323i, and I loved it, but still there's a big difference between 2.3L and 3.5L... And 323i's are harder to find in the US, good ones more so.

Tony

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.