-Unified
 -Hosting
 -Personal
 -Vin-checker
 -Events

Registry
 -Index
 -Thumbnails

General Forum : E30 M3 seating install about finished.........

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - E30 M3 seating install about finished.........
BarryA   Posted Friday, Sep 1st 9:44pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 171

Sacramento CA
81 320
Posted some time ago about retrofitting a pair of E30 caprio/M3 black leather seats in the '81, and how relatively straightforward the install was - been thinking ever since that I'd really like to add a matching M3 rear seat.

A few weeks ago I got a good deal on an excellent condition black leather M3 rear seat, and now have it installed - the bottom cushion is a drop-in, and only needs the two mounting tabs added to fit exacly like the original.

The backrest width is fine, but the contour of the heavy wire end frame isn't quite correct for the shape of the E21 rear wheel well - if you don't mind modifying the frame and the leather's attachments to it, the frame can be made to fit, but it's still tight at the seat belt retractors. The easier way to install the backrest is to run a piece of 1" square aluminum tubing across the top of the closing panel flush with the top of the package shelf and add new backrest mounting hooks. Make up a new carpet piece for the package shelf that's long enough to cover the piece of aluminum, and it all looks factory.

One other modification is needed to properly finish off the job - two new attaching points for the rear seat belt buckels need to be installed in the floor closer to the seat's centerline so the buckles will fit in the recesses in the backrest......

BarryA   Posted Friday, Sep 1st 9:52pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 172

Sacramento CA
81 320
Jeeze, can't even proof-read my own stuff properly - first line should read "E30 cabrio", not "caprio", and the section about the "easier way to install the backrest should read "run a piece of 1" square tubing across the closing panel flush with the top of the package shelf as a spacer"

wharthog   Posted Saturday, Sep 2nd 1:06am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 50

SF Bay,California, USA
1982 323i, , R1150RT
Do you have photos to post? I'd love to see how it looks

MayanArch   Posted Saturday, Sep 2nd 2:33am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1153

Florida, USA
Baur E21 2.7 1982, Baur E30 318i 1985, 323i 1978
Yeah, if you dont mind taking pictures of the mods...........this is a great post and really useful information.

BarryA   Posted Tuesday, Sep 5th 9:50pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 173

Sacramento CA
81 320
I'll try to get a series of photos of the mounts, etc once we get past our daughter's wedding (she's getting married out of state in a couple of weeks, and things are a bit hectic....)

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.