- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - Center Caps
M42powered   Posted Friday, Sep 15th 7:47pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Staff
Post nr. 679

Arizona, USA
1981 BMW 320i
Well I have a set of MiM 1900's that I got from Ray a long time ago. I had just been running them as is. They are in need of refinishing. No major damage really. BUT I didn't have center caps. Emailed MiM, they sent me some. They didn't fit first of all, and they had the newer style MiM logo on them, not the old skool one (which I preferred). So in true engineering form, I made some. The finishing work will happen when the tires are all worn off and I can get them unmounted.

They are SLS rapid prototyped. The parts are "grown" layer by layer. A laser sinters (one of the "s"'s in SLS) a powder of plastic balls together to create the geometry.

They will have to be painted... obviously.

Follow the pictures:

myersport   Posted Saturday, Sep 16th 12:57am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 184

east tennessee
'82 320iS. '91 327iC
Now you're just showing off!
Nice work, for real though. I'm jealous I don't have access to that technology. I have a bunch of suff to fabricate--Including center caps for my Carroll Shelby wheels!
--Dennis

jdench   Posted Saturday, Sep 16th 12:26pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 101

Sussex, UK
1979 E21 323i, 1998 E36 323i touring
How much to make me a set? I have the same MiM wheels, and I have been looking for centre caps for them, but the BM ones don't look right and the Alpina ones are too expensive (also, no matter how many alpina badges I add, it will not magically turn into a C1 sob.)

imaradiostar   Posted Saturday, Sep 16th 6:21pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 868

Nashville, TN
81 323i, 82 525i, 85 524td, 90 535i
wanna make some BBS RA caps?

jamie

M42powered   Posted Monday, Sep 18th 12:25am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Staff
Post nr. 680

Arizona, USA
1981 BMW 320i
My caps are going to linger in the 60 dollar range. That's a piece. They will still have to painted to color match the whell. Cost is based on part volume. I would be happy to create and qoute other caps for people. Just know that this avenue of creation should probably be reserved for caps that are NLA or VERY difficult to find.

aussie323i   Posted Monday, Sep 18th 10:54pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 523

australia
1979 323i
Gotta love that fast prototyping technology- it's great! Have you seen the metal one in action at all?? I read a computer science paper where I guy had fast prototyped a working battery! First step towards self replicating machines

hmmmm Terrminator anyone??

also- nice job on your caps by the way- they look great (to stear away from the geeky computer science stuff and back towards e21s)

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.