Tech Forum : Is my car overheating?

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - Is my car overheating?
pjs323i   Posted Saturday, Sep 16th 8:05am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 23

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
Because i'm a bit of a 'noob'with e21's i'd like to know something. Its getting into Spring here in Australia and they say its going to be one of the hottest Summers on record. so what i wanted to know was: the temperature gauge seems to sit at about 3/4 is this normal? i'm not driving it hard and the temperature outside is a nice fine 21*c (70*f). I plan to go to the coast for summer and this is a big concern for 2 reasons: it will be around 35*c and on the way there is a big mountain with a windy road that requires climbing...i wouldn't want to have my engine blow up on that

chupchup   Posted Sunday, Sep 17th 4:32pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 84

Singapore
320m20
Nope, in "normal" situations, it should be just a notch above 1/2.

Your guage could be off, I mean it is over 20 years old? Does it move alot, like when driving and stationary? With and w/out A/C? I is usually not normal for BMW guages to move alot.

Better to check on actual temps from the radiator.

pjs323i   Posted Monday, Sep 18th 3:24am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 24

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
yeah, when i am moving it drops down to half, when idleing goes up to 3/4 pretty quickly. thanks

ArnZ   Posted Monday, Sep 18th 4:22am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 19

Qld, Australia
BMW 323i
hey there, i live up on the gold coast where its a little hotter. anyways when my car is idleing after a little pushin the engine temp guage only get to about 1/2, but when cruising along not pushing it sits comfortable at around 2/5 which i rekon is quite cool.

myersport   Posted Monday, Sep 18th 4:52am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 184

east tennessee
'82 320iS. '91 327iC
A tip from the Nuclear Power industry-
ALWAYS believe your indicators. Then double check them to be sure they are right.
That being said, my old 323i always seemed to run the edge of overheating. Replaced thermostat, waterpump and fan clutch, hardwired the a/c fan to run constantly and no change. I compared the radiator temps to a known good e21 and they were within 5 deg fahr. Swapped in a spare temp gauge and all was well.
Long story short, unless you have alot of hardware lying about, don't risk frying your engine on an assumption of a faulty reading. Good possibility your gauge (or sender) is off, but check it to be sure. My cars run about 3/8 scale while driving, a tick above 1/2 while idling.
--Dennis

pjs323i   Posted Monday, Sep 18th 5:09am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 26

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
it has had the fan clutch, thermostat and fan belt recently replaced. My fuel gauge is interesting though, when the car isn't turned over and just on on it says(for example) 1/4 of a tank, then when the car is turned over...different story its more like 1/5 it drops about 3 needle widths. whether or not that is related i dont know...

pjs323i   Posted Monday, Sep 18th 5:15am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 28

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
p.s i am a Queenslander too! I come from Brisbane and i know how hot it can get there so i'll get it checked out

aussie323i   Posted Monday, Sep 18th 1:14pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 522

australia
1979 323i
hi PJS

yeah- don't believe that 3/4 is ok stuff... mine used to do that but it had problems... since I put in my new motor and cooling system it rarely goes over half (normally a 1/3)- and only gets just over when we hit 40+ degrees and I sit in heavy traffic.

I would certainly recommend getting a 72 degree C thermostat (160 degrees F)- in our hot climate you can use all the cooling help you can get

Might also pay to get the radiator checked out.

Cheers

pjs323i   Posted Monday, Sep 18th 1:33pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 30

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
thanks, how do you fid out what thermostat it has in it currently? because a new one was put in in March 06, it could be faulty...

pjs323i   Posted Monday, Sep 18th 2:06pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 31

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
i'm just gonna get me a service manual and stop asking stupid questions

pjs323i   Posted Monday, Sep 18th 2:09pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 32

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
if you read 'sticky handbrake' that could give you guys some insight into my overheating situation, its probably related.

Oldmanwillie   Posted Thursday, Jan 11th 12:48pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 4

South Australia
1982 323i motorsport
this hot aussie climate doesnt play favours to e21's living in the riverland of south australia we go through all of summer rarely having a day under 30C. the hottest day on record in my town being 49C and of course me being a 'NOOB' ive gone and done the unthinkable and cracked the head of my beautiful new 323i. nearly broke my heart and is certainly hurting my bank account

ArnZ   Posted Friday, Jan 12th 11:03am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 54

Qld, Australia
BMW 323i
i got a spare head oldmanwillie

chupchup   Posted Friday, Jan 12th 8:18pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 147

Singapore
320m20
I think it is time u guys invest in a IR thermometer!!!! Its great!!!!!!!!!

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.