- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - Sticky Handbrake
pjs323i   Posted Monday, Sep 18th 3:49am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 25

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
Hi guys,
I need some more help Yesterday i parked on a hill facing down it. It parked fine, i got out to get my mail from my letter box and got back in. However, when i released my handbrake (or parkbrake whichever you prefer) it only seemed to half release! you could hear the rear brakes screaming and the car labouring (but it stopped after a few metres)

This problem seemed to make alot of sence as to why there has been a sqeaking sound coming from my wheels when i turn to park, why it runs soooo roughly, why it has little power and why it used 1/8 of a tank....on a 20k round trip (55/8=7L). (i know what you are thinking of me and what that could have done to my poor 323...trust me, i feel worse )

Anyways, any help or advise that i could take to my trusty mechanic on friday would be of great help!

Cheers,
PJ

ArnZ   Posted Monday, Sep 18th 4:25am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 20

Qld, Australia
BMW 323i
hmmmm come to think of it i might have this problem too, cuz i kind of have a sticky handbrake too, prob why i got really bad gas mileage with my car, i might look into it too,

cheers

pjs323i   Posted Monday, Sep 18th 5:12am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 27

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
It has to happen to us aussie e21 owners...doesn't it! ;P

imaradiostar   Posted Monday, Sep 18th 5:34pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 871

Nashville, TN
81 323i, 82 525i, 85 524td, 90 535i
you should pull the rear drums off and see if the parking brake cables are hanging up- if they are the only true fix is to replace them.

jamie

Greg323i   Posted Thursday, Sep 21st 6:30pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 238

Melbourne, Australia
1982 Hennaröt 323i
This sounds more like the brake linkage is sticking. Try this: When you're driving, put your foot behind the brake pedal and pull it towards you. Did your car just accelarate? Then your linkage is sticking. It took me a while to track this down in my car. There's a lever near the firewall that activates the master cylinder at the front. It's mounted with a bolt through the channel that attaches to the MC. If that bolt is tightened too much, the pedal sticks. Back it off a quarter turn and you should be good.

pjs323i   Posted Friday, Sep 22nd 3:56am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 35

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
no that didn't fix the problem, i'm getting the car serviced soon so i'll get them to check it out for me.

KenDanielson   Posted Sunday, Sep 24th 3:26am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 192

Petaluma CA
'82 320is, '78 320i
The parking brake parts inside the rear disk hub tend to corrode and that can cause them to malfunction... Pull the rear brake calipers and rotors and clean everything associated with the parking brakes.

ken

Greg323i   Posted Monday, Sep 25th 4:37am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 239

Melbourne, Australia
1982 Hennaröt 323i
This is true, too. When I first bought me car I couldn't even get the wheels off because of the corrosion. It took a number of whacks with a 5 lb. sledge on the tires to break them loose!

Oldmanwillie   Posted Thursday, Jan 11th 12:43pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 3

South Australia
1982 323i motorsport
yeah i dont know what it is with Aussie E21 owners and troublesome handbreaks but ive had some minor troubles with my handbreak not working to well. luckily at my recent service/tune up/head repair i got it all fixed up.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.