Tech Forum : Loosening 79 323i crankshaft nut !$#%^

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - Loosening 79 323i crankshaft nut !$#%^
ineedabrew   Posted Sunday, Sep 24th 3:48am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

Stone Mountain, GA
1979 BMW 323i
Just curious if someone could give me tips on removing my crankshaft nut to replace the crankshaft oil seal. No problems with the camshaft seal, but how the heck do you keep the shaft from turning when loosening the nut. I've tried just about everything. And it is counterclockwise to loosen, right? Not sure if they used a reverse thread. How stinking tight to they torque these to??

Thanks ahead of time..
Jason

Waferman   Posted Sunday, Sep 24th 4:14am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 14

Oregon
78 320i, 83 320iS
Cant you put your car in top gear and put on the e-brake?

ineedabrew   Posted Sunday, Sep 24th 4:56am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 2

Stone Mountain, GA
1979 BMW 323i
I tried putting it in first gear and setting the brake but the car would creap just enough to not break the bolt loose. I will try a higher gear..maybe that is the trick.

jayona   Posted Sunday, Sep 24th 6:19am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 9

Colorado, USA
E21
you know i was told to put a breaker bar on the socket to the crank, have it rest on the wheel well and "bump" the engine. that is, try to start it. VERY dangerous in my opinion but i managed after wrapping and laying the bar in heavy towels. Try it the right way and ask a bmw tech to loan you the tool that locks down the flywheel. good luck

imaradiostar   Posted Sunday, Sep 24th 3:05pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 875

Nashville, TN
81 323i, 82 525i, 85 524td, 90 535i
it's a two man operation- "big ass pliers" on the crank adapter and a large breaker bar/pipe on the bolt. It's a normal CCW to loosen type bolt. It helps to position the pliers so that they get tighter as you apply more force with the breaker bar. I usually let the pliers rest against the frame somewhere and just hold on tight!

jamie

BruceH   Posted Sunday, Sep 24th 3:43pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1016

Atlanta, GA USA
81 323 Baur, 85 745
Jason,

You are Stone Mountain? Wil Bryant is in Duluth and I am in Suwanee. Get some pix of your 323 up!

Bruce

aussie323i   Posted Sunday, Sep 24th 3:57pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 524

australia
1979 323i
hmmm... you do realise the bolt is torqued to 400Nm don't you (295 lbf ft if you don't think metric! )

When I first removed the nut from my motor (it had obviously never been moved from new) It took a extension bar on the breaker about 1 metre long for it to break!!

I held the fly wheel with some 'big ass pliers' as jamie suggested

good luck.... but it is a known PITA as a home job!!

ineedabrew   Posted Sunday, Sep 24th 5:24pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 3

Stone Mountain, GA
1979 BMW 323i
Hey thanks guys for the input. I have had a good bit of oil down the front of the engine. Most of it obviously from the cam seal...I am wondering if I should just leave the crank seal alone until I am sure it is a source of oil. Since it is such a PITA! I will get some pics up! I have seen posts about it being difficult to have stay put once removed......

ineedabrew   Posted Monday, Sep 25th 3:17am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 4

Stone Mountain, GA
1979 BMW 323i
Finally got the thing off. Pair of vice grips on the collar washer ahead of the bolt. Clamped that on as tight as I could and swung it so it would lay on the side of the ac compressor. 3 ft breaker bar and about 80 lbs of force broke it loose! All seals replaced but, what a PITA!

Thanks for the help,
Jason

imaradiostar   Posted Monday, Sep 25th 6:13am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 876

Nashville, TN
Good stuff! I hate to mention it now but if you didn't replace the paper gasket behind the aluminum front cover you might seriously consider it as I've seen it be the main source of oil on some cars. You can even use a small chunk cut from another oil pan gasket at the bottom edge if the original oil pan gasket is in bad shape.

Don't forget the intermediate shaft seal or the tiny o-ring on the cam seal housing!

jamie

usang36   Posted Monday, Sep 25th 8:41pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 19

Oregon
78 320i, 83 320iS
Have you ever seen oil leak past the distributor drive housing? On my new rebuild I thought that it was the head leaking oil down the outside of cyl 4 but now it looks like the drive housing is leaking instead...

imaradiostar   Posted Tuesday, Sep 26th 7:41am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 877

Nashville, TN
not an uncommon place to leak- on the big sixes there is a special washer toward the pass side that has rubber around the inside since that one bolt hole is exposed to oil pressure- it's the top rightmost hole. I dunno if it's the same on the m10 but I assume so. I can check tomorrow at work since I've got a 2002 head on my bench right now for teardown (I still have to take pics and post about my $150 rust-free 2002 with a cracked head).

You could slide a 10mm gearwrench down there and make sure all of the bolts are tight. If you don't own a gearwrench then shame on you- go order a set on the internet or run out to lowes and pick some up, I promise you won't regret it! Last I checked they (lowes) were selling an 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 19 set for well under 100 bucks.

jamie

usang36   Posted Wednesday, Sep 27th 7:52pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 20

Oregon
78 320i, 83 320iS
Thats what I wanted for xmas last year, but that required that a certian SO go to Sears and buy them, so she got me something else I dont remember...

The washer you spoke of isnt leaking, it may be the bottom of the housing I was thinking. I am afraid to tighten too much becase I had to tap a hole there once all ready and I dont want to strip another...I will try to tighten a little though. I was also thinking it is the head gasket leaking down the corner there. I cant tell for sure It is coming up on it's 500 mile re torque after the rebuild, so hopefully that will solve it.

John

imaradiostar   Posted Thursday, Sep 28th 12:24am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 879

Nashville, TN
yeah, leakage at the back of the head is pretty common too. My last e28 did that and it still does- one of my coworkers is driving it now. My current daily drive e34 has a coolant leak in that area- seems like a weak spot on these engines.

jamie

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.