General Forum : interesting info on bmw v8

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - interesting info on bmw v8
redmist   Posted Monday, Sep 25th 10:17pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 967

NY USA
357i , 325i e30 turbo
Went to pick up my "i" head at Olsen Engines. He had a customers four liter 1998 bmw v8 apart. 160,000 miles on it. The bearings were like new, so good he is not replacing them (I thought this was NEVER done) Crank surfaces perfect, cam lobes perfect, cylindr walls perfect. Only problem he had was finding replacement rings.
I guess they got the alusil problems nailed.
Might think of one for the next project based on this.

KenDanielson   Posted Tuesday, Sep 26th 2:34am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 192

Petaluma CA
'82 320is, '78 320i
They have been selling for considerably less than a s14... Twice the cylinders/half the $$$, I like it! They WILL fit between the strut towers but the power brake booster has got to go-the streetrod guys have a cure for that, an underdash booster mounted sideways. The oil pan sump might be a problem depending on how far back you want to mount the engine-then you could always drysump it-I've ALWAYS wanted an engine with a drysump oil system... You can see I have thought about this a bit.

BTW it weighs about the same as a U.S. iron block m52 engine.

ken

redmist   Posted Tuesday, Sep 26th 2:42am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 969

NY USA
357i , 325i e30 turbo
Thinking is dangerous Ken
Yeah so much better than polluting the car with a chevy. I'll be looking at ebay with you!
Power brakes? Who needs 'em. If you must you can mount the booster in the trunk too.

bmw_m_320i   Posted Tuesday, Sep 26th 4:20am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 717

Helena, Montana
none right now :(
or the booster can go in front like on v8 powered E34's and E32's

Greg323i   Posted Tuesday, Sep 26th 4:36am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 242

Melbourne, Australia
1982 Hennaröt 323i
bmw_m_320i wrote:
or the booster can go in front like on v8 powered E34's and E32's

Or the RHD e21's. That hardware could probably be adapted fairly easily to the other side.

aussie323i   Posted Tuesday, Sep 26th 6:17am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 525

australia
1979 323i
lol... I was about to mention that one too

Madhatter   Posted Tuesday, Sep 26th 11:41am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 60

Australia - QLD
E21, E24, E30

aussie323i   Posted Tuesday, Sep 26th 2:02pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 526

australia
1979 323i
nice pics hatter.... (get out the cliches) they speak a thousand words

-no booster is going to fit anywhere in the engine bay by the look of that (unless it's behind the front grill

Madhatter   Posted Tuesday, Sep 26th 4:02pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 61

Australia - QLD
E21, E24, E30
I reckon you could get it to fit up the front still, just by routing the intake elsewhere (maybe the other side?).

Otherwise you could run a bulb type setup like on the 5 series.

KenDanielson   Posted Tuesday, Sep 26th 4:33pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 192

Petaluma CA
'82 320is, '78 320i
Well, if you mount the brake booster in the front where will you fit the two turbos??

ken

Madhatter   Posted Thursday, Sep 28th 2:47pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 62

Australia - QLD
E21, E24, E30
in the boot(trunk)? out the bonnet? what does it matter, id settle for 280hp and 300+ft/lbs of torque on tap any day of the week.

redmist   Posted Thursday, Sep 28th 6:45pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 971

NY USA
357i , 325i e30 turbo
Again I hate to be negative but look how much that engine is in front of the strut towers?
I just don't understand why someone would go through all the work (and $)for 70/30 weight balance.

Zolika_e21   Posted Thursday, Sep 28th 11:13pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 32

Hungary
e21_M54_30
Nice job!
Do you have more picture?

KenDanielson   Posted Friday, Sep 29th 2:34am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 192

Petaluma CA
'82 320is, '78 320i
Well, plenty of people are willing to put a m20 into an e21 and it has more fwd weight than the v8. The engines weigh nearly the same (the V8 has some parts that can be removed to even it out) but the v8 is shorter so the weight is farther back.

If I were to do it I would set it back a few inches just because it would be more cool.

ken

JJG323   Posted Friday, Sep 29th 3:03am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1270

Reading MA USA
1979 BMW 323i
There is a guy at the show and shine who has a e30 with a v8 in it.

So I don't see why it could not be done with the e21.

Except I dont have the resources for this yet.

M20 turbo for me..

cnvkellogg   Posted Friday, Sep 29th 6:37am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 44

Eugene, OR
78 320i
I am trying to find a turbo kit for my M20 now. The V8 looks really cool. Pin your foot to the floor and you wont care about the extra weight on the front of the car.

Madhatter   Posted Friday, Sep 29th 10:17am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 63

Australia - QLD
E21, E24, E30
redmist wrote:
Again I hate to be negative but look how much that engine is in front of the strut towers?
I just don't understand why someone would go through all the work (and $)for 70/30 weight balance.

be negative all you want, its no worse with an M20 and the V8 isnt a whole heap heavier. Especially once you move the battery to the rear, that would offset quite a lot of weight.

70/30? dont make me laugh, thats a figure pulled straight out of your head. You would be lucky if you upset it more than 5-10%, with good suspension you could more than dial out any understeer issues because of the added weight on the front.

redmist   Posted Friday, Sep 29th 6:31pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 972

NY USA
357i , 325i e30 turbo
Absoutely out of my a** and exaggerated on purpose. The point was why not go for optimal?

Also if you put your foot to the floor you would go nowhere but you would create a smoke screen.

Madhatter   Posted Saturday, Sep 30th 7:03am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 64

Australia - QLD
E21, E24, E30
its called throttle control, and with a good set of tyres you will have great accelleration. You think front and rear balance is going to be the difference between spinning the tyres and getting good grip? so yours is going to just be all grip then right?

As for optimal, the original engine and chassis combination isnt optimal. Cutting half your car appart to put in a v8 is illegal in quite a few countries.

chupchup   Posted Saturday, Sep 30th 4:25pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 89

Singapore
320m20
Madhatter wrote:
in the boot(trunk)? out the bonnet? what does it matter, id settle for 280hp and 300+ft/lbs of torque on tap any day of the week.

I guess u don't need to stop.........

Madhatter   Posted Saturday, Sep 30th 4:59pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 65

Australia - QLD
E21, E24, E30
had to go and make assumptions didnt you

Do they look like standard brakes to you?

DP57   Posted Sunday, Oct 1st 11:20pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 21

CA, USA
'82 320i, '94 318i
Is that an m60? What tranny do you have linked up to it/what kind of mods did it take?

Zolika_e21   Posted Tuesday, Oct 3rd 7:45am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 33

Hungary
e21_M54_30
This the same Porsche Caliper that I am using .
What kind of rotor do you use?

Madhatter   Posted Tuesday, Oct 3rd 11:12am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 69

Australia - QLD
E21, E24, E30
DP57 wrote:
Is that an m60? What tranny do you have linked up to it/what kind of mods did it take?

matching 6 speed, getrag S6S420G i seem to remember.

Matching cross member would probably go a long way

Jason_323i   Posted Tuesday, Oct 3rd 2:40pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 409

UK, Scotland
323i 2.7 tripple webber track car. Maserati Biturbo
It been a while since that car hit the newsgroups, its got to be near 4-5 years when the pictures first apperared, does any body know if it was ever finished last time I heard it was off to get some custom flarred arches.

Jason

redmist   Posted Tuesday, Oct 3rd 9:32pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 975

NY USA
357i , 325i e30 turbo
Madhatter wrote:
its called throttle control, and with a good set of tyres you will have great accelleration. You think front and rear balance is going to be the difference between spinning the tyres and getting good grip? so yours is going to just be all grip then right?

As for optimal, the original engine and chassis combination isnt optimal. Cutting half your car appart to put in a v8 is illegal in quite a few countries.

So is speeding,but you don't do that right?
Compensating for power and poor weight distribution and transfer(look up some basics on drag racing)by putting wide tires on the rear creates what sort of effect on handling? (Music from jepordy plays in the background.......)
Right!! Massive understeer!! Ah but you say you can compensate with the throttle, right? I'm sorry, can I have another contestant please?

velocewest   Posted Tuesday, Oct 3rd 11:15pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 548

Oregon USA
e9, e12x2, no E21?
Jason_323i wrote:
It been a while since that car hit the newsgroups, its got to be near 4-5 years when the pictures first apperared, does any body know if it was ever finished last time I heard it was off to get some custom flarred arches.

Jason

It's still under construction at Pacific Motorsports here in Portland. The owner of Pacific, Mark Dikeos (not the car's owner) drove it to the Portland Historics this summer. It's not complete, but close. Mechanicals/drivetrain/suspension are basically sorted, interior and cosmetics still need work.

For the record, this car was a huge undertaking, akin to Peter's GM V8 conversion. The suspension is a combination (IIRC) of e36 front and e34 rear, which required that the pick up points for the suspension(s) be fabricated into the e21 shell. The engine sits low and back, the steering, brakes, pedals, basically everything is custom fabricated, albeit using mostly BMW parts.

From what I was told the weight balance is not too bad. The heavier 5 series rear components and the big differential offset the weight of the engine, and the 6 speed is a pretty big chunk of weight down low and centered.

Tony

Marquis_Rex   Posted Saturday, Oct 7th 11:04pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 480

UK
BMW 323i 2.7-as featured in Total BMW Nov 2002,Porsche 911/993TT
redmist wrote:
Madhatter wrote:

So is speeding,but you don't do that right?
Compensating for power and poor weight distribution and transfer(look up some basics on drag racing)by putting wide tires on the rear creates what sort of effect on handling? (Music from jepordy plays in the background.......)
Right!! Massive understeer!! Ah but you say you can compensate with the throttle, right? I'm sorry, can I have another contestant please?

Well said Redmist!
To take a tamer production example- there's a reason why BMW chose to develop a M20 'baby six' for the E21 and not just shoe horn in a 2.5 litre 150 Bhp version of their M30. It's called weight distribution. Makes me laugh that someone can rubbish BMWs philosophy of engineering through outright ignorance/arrogance.
BTW there IS a big weight difference between an M20 and an M60 V8- even with the battery mounted in the back.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.