-Unified
 -Hosting
 -Personal
 -Vin-checker
 -Events

Registry
 -Index
 -Thumbnails

General Forum : Alpina springs vs. H&R or anyone else..

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - Alpina springs vs. H&R or anyone else..
wharthog   Posted Tuesday, Sep 26th 8:10am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 62

SF Bay,California, USA
1982 323i, , R1150RT
I drove a friend's 323 with the full Alpina suspension and it's perfect! Lowered, not jarring or too stiff, and great when you push the limits. Walloth/Nesh have a few sets left but are $530 plus shipping!! I have H&R's but they're shot.

Any insight/advice?

pjs323i   Posted Tuesday, Sep 26th 11:41am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 37

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
yeah i'd be up for some advise too. i have a set of KYB struts and it is VERY bouncy along the road, but very good in the corners. i want a set of nice springs that will lower the car and make the ride a little nicer without taking away from cornering capablities. it currently has the stock springs underneith it...

Greg323i   Posted Wednesday, Sep 27th 2:28am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 243

Melbourne, Australia
1982 Hennaröt 323i
pjs323i wrote:
yeah i'd be up for some advise too. i have a set of KYB struts and it is VERY bouncy along the road, but very good in the corners. i want a set of nice springs that will lower the car and make the ride a little nicer without taking away from cornering capablities. it currently has the stock springs underneith it...

If you're in Oz I'd really recommend looking into King Springs, I'm really happy with mine and they can be had new for less than $150 new from most places. Also, since they're progressive rate springs they are the same as for a VB to VP with 6 cylinder in the front, so you can probably get lucky with the front ones. I just picked up good condition springs for $34 or so.

aussie323i   Posted Wednesday, Sep 27th 2:38am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 527

australia
1979 323i
what shockers do you use with your King Springs Greg?

I'm probably going to go for some myself sometime down the track- I'll probably just go for Bilstein sports if I have the cash but I'm wondering what you use.

myersport   Posted Wednesday, Sep 27th 3:01am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 184

east tennessee
'82 320iS. '91 327iC
My 2.7i had Alpina springs and shocks, with Suspension Techniques sway bars. It was a great handling car with a decent ride. However, my springs were the original Ahle springs, and the latest Alpina sets available are using Eibachs, at least according to KSK Distributing. My current e21, as well as the 320i turbo I recently sold, has H&R springs with Koni reds, using stock sway bars, and it handles very well also, albeit with a bit more lean in the corners. H&R springs, Bilstein Sports, and the S/T sways would make an ideal setup for VERY sporty driving, at alot smaller investment than a full on Alpina setup would.
--Dennis

Greg323i   Posted Wednesday, Sep 27th 7:27am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 244

Melbourne, Australia
1982 Hennaröt 323i
aussie323i wrote:

I was using the stock Boge Gas until I found Bilstein sports at the wreckers. They're on the rear now, but the fronts need to be rebuilt before I put them on. Actually, my rears, even though I pulled them from an E21, are from a Commodore and the have an adjustable spring height.

redmist   Posted Wednesday, Sep 27th 6:34pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 970

NY USA
357i , 325i e30 turbo
Really depends on what you want to do. I had heard that progressive springs really do nothing very well but that myth was blown out of the water when I go a set of custom progressives for the e30 from Ireland Engineering. All the e30 guys use them for racing and auto-x and the ride isn't too hard around town. I'm a coilover guy myself because I like the unlimited adjustability (since I usually guess wrong several times)

aussie323i   Posted Thursday, Sep 28th 3:35am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 528

australia
1979 323i
Greg323i wrote:
aussie323i wrote:

I was using the stock Boge Gas until I found Bilstein sports at the wreckers. They're on the rear now, but the fronts need to be rebuilt before I put them on. Actually, my rears, even though I pulled them from an E21, are from a Commodore and the have an adjustable spring height.

hmmm- more commodore gear raising it's head I think I'm gonna go down your path- scour the wreckers for a 2nd hand pair of Kings for the front and then just buy the new rears.

then maybe run those for a while with the stock shockers (I have Bilstein OEMs) until I can afford better shocks.

Redmist: I'm only going to be using my car on the street so coilovers will be a little overkill!! But no doubt hours of fun on your track car

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.