Tech Forum : Lowering Suspension Help Needed

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - Lowering Suspension Help Needed
lintninja   Posted Thursday, Sep 28th 9:11pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

Alaska, USA
1978 320i
Hey everyone, I just registered and this is will be my first post, so, hello there! I live in alaska, over in the US, and I am going to be buying a 1978 320i for about 2500 US dollars, the body and paintwork are in near perfect condition, no rust that I can see whatsoever, engine runs great etc. etc. Really great little car.

I own a Fiat x1/9 and have rallied it a bit, and wanna look into seriously rallying this 320i, so I wanna lower the ride, but, as my X1/9 is already 2 or 3 inches off the ground stock (I love it), I have never lowered a car and don't really know what goes into it. To get a really spiffy suspension setup that you could really shake a stick at, what do I need to get and what do I have to put into it as far as time etc. etc goes? New springs, what about bushings etc. etc.?? How much will it all cost for a really nice setup? I figure it will be my everday driver as well as a performance car, so, I need something in the middle. I want a really low look, but, I don't wanna bottom out on uneven pavement and I don't wanna be so low that the performance goes down.. What do you all suggest? I'm really new to lowering :\..

Anyone interested in giving me a crash course? I'd live to learn more about it..

Also, in my fiat I get a pretty harsh ride, but, I like it, I really enjoy being able to feel the road beneath me. So, moderately harsh would not be bad .

Thanks alot guys, hoping to hear soon !
- Keeper

KenDanielson   Posted Friday, Sep 29th 6:28am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 192

Petaluma CA
'82 320is, '78 320i
There are a couple ways to go depending on your budget. If you ralley it you don't want it lowered unless the roads are really smooth...

Performance shocks/struts and performance springs such as Eibach, H&R, and others-least expensive, good performance upgrade, lower the car about 1 to 1.5" and are not adjustable for ride height-well some rear shocks have a couple of height settings but you have to disassemble them to change. No choice in spring rates. About $600 if you buy it all new.

Performance shocks/struts and coil over kits. More expensive, requires modifications to the front struts to do it right, adjustable ride height while on the car, larger choice of spring rates. Takes more knowlege and skill to set up correctly-it's not just ride height... Closer to $1000 for everything new.

Leda coil over shocks. Most expensive other than dedicated custom racing suspension. Adjustable ride height, adjustable shock dampening. Requires even more knowlege to set up and use correctly... Don't know the cost, there is only 1 e21 running these that I know of-he loves them and rightfully so-they are VERY trick.

For best handling replace ALL the rubber bushings with urethane-that includes front control arm inner bushings, front control arm to sway bar bushings, all sway bar bushings and end links in the rear, rear control arm bushings, rear subframe mounts.

The suspension upgrades are simple remove and replace jobs, not too difficult.

Other things to get: front strut tower brace, urethane engine dampener, better brakes (pads, shoes, stainless hoses).

ken

e21enthusiast   Posted Friday, Sep 29th 10:50pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

eugene,oregon
hennarot 320is,topasbraun metalic 323
I have bilstien sport shocks and eibach springs. i love em.from my understandings the eibach springs are stiffer than the H&R,theres a few others that do just springs i believe suspension teqniques has some as well as a company called dobinson. havent really heard any good or bad new about the last 2.

realcrouton   Posted Friday, Sep 29th 11:27pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 42

Washington, USA
1977 320i, 1981 323i, 1991 325ic, 2000 328i
I'm finally pulling my engine and tranny from my 77 320i (auto) tonight to make ready for my 2.7 m20 swap. Once I have the engine out I will be replacing the 4cyl sub frame with a 6cyl sub frame. While I have it apart I figured I'd replace the suspension parts at that time. Who is the best vendor to buy the urethane parts from? Do they come in a kit? Should I put in new springs and shocks at that time too? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

-Dave

KenDanielson   Posted Saturday, Sep 30th 3:41am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 192

Petaluma CA
'82 320is, '78 320i
If you are going to disassemble the suspension you might as well do it all at once. No, there is no kit. BavAuto has some of the parts and e21parts.net has some.

ken

realcrouton   Posted Saturday, Sep 30th 9:49pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 43

Washington, USA
1977 320i, 1981 323i, 1991 325ic, 2000 328i
Thanks Ken, I've got to order some parts from BavAuto for my E46, so I might as well buy it all at once.

-Dave

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.