-Unified
 -Hosting
 -Personal
 -Vin-checker
 -Events

Registry
 -Index
 -Thumbnails

Tech Forum : Starts perfectly then dies? Any suggestions?

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - Starts perfectly then dies? Any suggestions?
nowloadingrage   Posted Monday, Oct 2nd 3:23am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

Tennessee, U.S.
83' 320i -w- Century Turbo
Trying to get a 320i running that has not been running in at least 5 years. The car starts right up and idles for a second or 2 then dies. Hit the gas it dies faster. I have spent about 15 minutes trying to start the car and can finially get it running yet runs poorly and reving it up causes flames to come out of the exhaust. Any suggestions?

imaradiostar   Posted Monday, Oct 2nd 6:03am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 881

Nashville, TN
81 323i, 82 525i, 85 524td, 90 535i
sounds like it's running on the cold start injector.

Try pulling some fuel injectors out, jumpering the fuel pump so that it runs and lifting the air flapper with a strong magnet on the center 10mm bolt head. The injector should emit a fine spray of fuel, varying with flapper lift.

jamie

nowloadingrage   Posted Tuesday, Oct 3rd 4:20am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

Tennessee, U.S.
Pulled the injectors everything seemed to be working correctly. Myersport suggested to check the plugs for fuel to see if it was getting to much. Pulled the plugs...they where soaked in gas. Put it all back together and it idled for 10 seconds, then died and went back to the start, idles 2 seconds, and die. Even tried switching the ecu...did not make a difference. So to conclude this evenings activities, to much fuel?

imaradiostar   Posted Tuesday, Oct 3rd 4:56pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 885

Nashville, TN
hmmmm...do you have a CIS fuel pressure test set?

jamie

nowloadingrage   Posted Tuesday, Oct 3rd 5:31pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

Tennessee, U.S.
I do not have one of those.

redmist   Posted Thursday, Oct 5th 6:00pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 979

NY USA
357i , 325i e30 turbo
Check your fuel pump relay.

nowloadingrage   Posted Friday, Oct 6th 3:08am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

Tennessee, U.S.
Just tried the fuel relay. Still no change. It did remind me that a few months ago I had a ground problem with the fuel relay. Now I'm wondering if there are other componets with a ground problem. I'm not good with wiring...this may take awhile.

imaradiostar   Posted Friday, Oct 6th 4:25am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 889

Nashville, TN
I thought you said it was flooding?

You need to find out with the control pressure is. Do you have any spare fuel lines? Specifically you need the one that goes from the top center of the fuel distributor to the warm up regulator. If you have a spare one of those you could get a T fitting and a fuel pressure gauge and plumb it in. This will give you the control pressure. If you were to put a valve on the WUR side and close it it'd give you system pressure.

I don't know off the top of my head what control pressure should be on that car but I'm sure someone could chime in here.

jamie

nowloadingrage   Posted Sunday, Oct 15th 4:16am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

Tennessee, U.S.
Well the last thing I try happened to get the car running. Leaned the mixture and finially the car was running. On to the rear wheel bearing. Thanks for the help.

Kearney   Posted Wednesday, Nov 15th 2:31am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 8

Campbell River BC Canada
1982 320i
I ran into a similar problem when I first bought my 320i and installed a new engine. It ended up being the plug being loose into the computer inside the vehicle behind the glove box. It is the plug on the large grey wiring harness that runs through the firewall on the right hand side. It would start and run for a few seconds and then die.

nowloadingrage   Posted Thursday, Nov 16th 4:56am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

Tennessee, U.S.
One of the things I did before playing with the mixture was putting in a computer from a running 320. It made no difference. Poor car has been sitting for 7 years and it has taken a toll. The engine seems to be running good at this point. Yet the starter and water pump just went out. I have only driven the car to work once. 30 miles round trip. I also just finished rebuilding the front end. Tie rods, control arms, springs, and shock inserts. It sure is great bringing a 320 back to life. Sure does make you feel good, after all the hours of work, driving a halfway fixed-up 320. Still have a long way to go.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.