Tech Forum : I've got a bad feeling....

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - I've got a bad feeling....
ineedabrew   Posted Monday, Oct 2nd 4:05am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 5

Stone Mountain, GA
1979 BMW 323i
I just replaced the oil pan gasket, front crank seal, cam seal, intermediate seal, etc. After getting everything back together with all timing marks aligned, the crankshaft will not continuously turn in one direction. I can go through a revolution or two turning the crankshaft either direction and it hits a stop. Am I hitting a valve? The crankshaft nut was a PITA to remove and things might have slipped out of proper timing location...Could I have turned the shaft too far when removing that nut. The shaft slipped and turned a couple of times for sure when I was pushing my 250 ft-lbs to get that nut off. Any thoughts? I'm getting queasy thinking about it!

imaradiostar   Posted Monday, Oct 2nd 6:01am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 880

Nashville, TN
81 323i, 82 525i, 85 524td, 90 535i
Line up the crank dampener marks so that the #1 cylinder is at tdc. Both cam lobes on the #1 cylinder should be pointing down. (you may have to turn the crank 360 degrees for this to happen but it should line up.)

jamie

redmist   Posted Thursday, Oct 5th 6:02pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 980

NY USA
357i , 325i e30 turbo
Timing chain and tensioner issues.

ineedabrew   Posted Tuesday, Oct 10th 6:01am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 6

Stone Mountain, GA
1979 BMW 323i
I removed the valve cover and verified all of the exhaust and intake valves are moving properly. All timing marks aligned, I can only turn the crankshaft about a full rotation before it is completely stopped, both directions. I suppose the only thing to do is remove the head to see what is going on and take it from there.

Greg323i   Posted Tuesday, Oct 10th 5:51pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 247

Melbourne, Australia
1982 Hennaröt 323i
Is this with the spark plugs installed? What happens when you try to turn it with the plugs removed?

ineedabrew   Posted Tuesday, Oct 10th 6:17pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 7

Stone Mountain, GA
1979 BMW 323i
No plugs installed....I think it is an exhaust valve that is broken...can't get the exhaust manifold off. Correction, it will not rotate a full 360 degrees..........

ineedabrew   Posted Wednesday, Oct 11th 7:07pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 8

Stone Mountain, GA
1979 BMW 323i
Pulled the head...broken exhaust valve. Parts on order. Be careful when you break that crank bolt loose!!!

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.