General Forum : an arm,leg,cosigner and my first born

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - an arm,leg,cosigner and my first born
e21enthusiast   Posted Thursday, Oct 5th 1:14am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 16

eugene,oregon
hennarot 320is,topasbraun metalic 323
so bmw of eugene says $295 for a stock 323 clutch and its gonna have to come from germany. is that the best price?also as far as a tranny swap goes i was told i can just bolt any m20 5 spd transmission up to my 323. and the only difrance is gonna be the spedo drive. is this true? can anyone verify?

e21enthusiast   Posted Thursday, Oct 5th 1:28am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 17

eugene,oregon
well i called 2002 restorations again and talked to dave he said the 325 5 spd will bolt to the engine but the transmission mount and the spedo drive wont work.anyone have 2 cents to put in on this?

myersport   Posted Thursday, Oct 5th 3:03am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 184

east tennessee
'82 320iS. '91 327iC
Possibly the driveshaft may need to be lengthened/shortened, depending on which tranny you use. You can also use the trannys from M42/44's and M50 family as well.
--Dennis

BruceH   Posted Thursday, Oct 5th 3:06am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1022

Atlanta, GA USA
81 323 Baur, 85 745
Any m20 tranny will bolt up. e30 m20 trannys don't have the gear drive for the speedo. As dennis said you may have to alter the driveshaft length if you are going from a 4 to a 5 or vice versa. The clutch is readily available from many USA sources.

cnvkellogg   Posted Thursday, Oct 5th 7:05am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 48

Eugene, OR
78 320i
My car has a e30 87' 325i motor and transmission. The E30 trans mount and cross member are used. The driveline was shortened and ballanced by Eugene Drivline. The rear of the trans was drilled and tapped for the stock shift plate mounts to be attached. The stock shift plate was shortened and the e30 shift linkage was used with a Z3 shift lever. The clutch slave cylinder is the same so no change there.

Speedo? I am using a Segma bicycle speedo. It will read up to 187mph tested by street bike racers.The company says the pickup wire can be extended up to 9 feet with no problems. It is cool all the stuff it will keep track of, Top speed, average speed, trip time, odometer, and more. The stock speedo was removed and a replaced with a block off plate I made with a BMW emblem. There are other ways to make a speedo work but this was only 30 bucks! and it works for me.

P.S. if you are a EESCC or BMW clulb member I will give you 15% off your clutch kit. Call me.

nsbone   Posted Thursday, Oct 5th 12:08pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 443

KL, Malaysia
e21 323/6 316, e34 520i, e32 730i
cnvkellogg,
I am keen on the bicycle speedo.. can i order them online and ship anywhere overseas? DO have specific model, what's in the package when u ordered them? and how about a pic of 2 of the setup...

e21enthutiast,
No speedo for me, as I am using e30 Getrag 240 (from 320i e30), all shifter/panels/crossmember are from e30, but shortened the longshaft by a bit...

here link of my project http://e21.tricord.be/nsbone/5speedconvert/5speedproject.html

cnvkellogg wrote:

Speedo? I am using a Segma bicycle speedo. It will read up to 187mph tested by street bike racers.The company says the pickup wire can be extended up to 9 feet with no problems. It is cool all the stuff it will keep track of, Top speed, average speed, trip time, odometer, and more. The stock speedo was removed and a replaced with a block off plate I made with a BMW emblem. There are other ways to make a speedo work but this was only 30 bucks! and it works for me.

P.S. if you are a EESCC or BMW clulb member I will give you 15% off your clutch kit. Call me.

redmist   Posted Thursday, Oct 5th 3:34pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 977

NY USA
357i , 325i e30 turbo
Very interesting about the bicycle spedometer. So you attach the little magnet to the driveshaft and just mount the pickup on the trans? How did you calculate the calibration for the wheel size? Are you just powering it with the hearing aid battery?
Cool. When I used to race bicycles the spedos only went to 99mph. I guess Lance Armstrong pushed the market to 3 digits.

e21enthusiast   Posted Thursday, Oct 5th 4:32pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 18

eugene,oregon
Hey cameron are you just talking about being a member of bmwcca for that discount?also you were saying that you were building your son a 320,let me know if you need a 5spd or an lsd i have spares.

p.s. like the video at PIR,looks like a blast ill have to atend some day!

redmist   Posted Thursday, Oct 5th 5:55pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 978

NY USA
357i , 325i e30 turbo
Hell you can even monitor your heart rate as you slide towards the guardrail!
I ordered one immediately. Brilliant.
The only thing is unless you pick up the front tire wheel spin is going to generate some inaccuracies.

imaradiostar   Posted Thursday, Oct 5th 7:44pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 887

Nashville, TN
81 323i, 82 525i, 85 524td, 90 535i
there's really no reason why you can't use a hall sensor and magnets or bolts or a disc or something on one of the front hubs then fit an E24-E30 speedo into your E21 cluster. This way you'll have a speedometer that looks original. Just match the number of tabs/magnets etc to the number of tabs inside the comparable car's diff.

Of course, with an LS1 engine in the middle of the car I'd imagine looking original is no concern...but for us mortals...

jamie

imaradiostar   Posted Thursday, Oct 5th 11:36pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 888

Nashville, TN
81 323i, 82 525i, 85 524td, 90 535i
Oh, thought I'd mention. I believe it's possible to substitute clutch parts from other cars- I've read about putting E28 or E34 clutch components in E30's and they're very similar to what we have. I haven't directly compared the splines to make sure this is so but I think you can even use an E36 M3 pressure plate and non-spring clutch disc in an E21 with the correct flywheel- if anyone is interested I can bolt up some stuff we have here at the shop and figure it out.

jamie

Waferman   Posted Friday, Oct 6th 12:40am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 15

Oregon
78 320i, 83 320iS
E21enthusiast:
Someone is selling an E21 323i 5speed on roadfly. Just FYI and all...I was going to suggest calling 2002resto but it looks like you all ready have. I thought Dave was parting out a 323i? His kids old car? Anyhoo, look at the clutch you have in there before you go buying one. You may just need a disk- if you were on a budget and the plate was good, a disk and TO bearing could get you by.
John

cnvkellogg   Posted Friday, Oct 6th 5:33am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 50

Eugene, OR
78 320i
This is the one that I purchased.

http://www.rei.com/product/48017204.htm

I will try to post pictures.
The only problem with my set up is the light only comes on if you press a button so for night driving...

The unit has a programable wheel size so any wheel diameter can be entered in mm. I mounted my the way I did so at the track its easy to see. (heads up display... the poor mans way). Under hard braking the unit is a little slow to read speed. (example: 110mph down to 50mph) The pick up is mounted to the left front wheel. The magnet I used was from a name tag they seem to be really strong and dime sized. It is stuck to the rotor hat.

*by my research the Sigma brand is the only one that will work at car speeds.

cnvkellogg   Posted Friday, Oct 6th 6:15am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 51

Eugene, OR
78 320i
[img]http://e21.tricord.be/members/my320i/Speedo%20down.jpg[img]

[img]http://e21.tricord.be/members/my320i/Speedo%20up.jpg[img]
yes it is upside down just for the picture...I turn it around normaly.

[img]http://e21.tricord.be/members/my320i/Speedo%20pickup.jpg[img]

The magnet is not shown but is stuck to the rotor hat.

SORRY TRY AGAIN

cnvkellogg   Posted Friday, Oct 6th 6:17am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 52

Eugene, OR
78 320i

yes it is upside down just for the picture...I turn it around normaly.

The magnet is not shown but is stuck to the rotor hat.

melloh   Posted Friday, Oct 6th 11:59pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 426

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
so there are no issues w/ heat on the bike speedo pickup? Wow! But as a side, you also lose your odo readings, dont u? How does this play w/ your insurance co?

cnvkellogg   Posted Saturday, Oct 7th 3:45am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 53

Eugene, OR
78 320i
I seem to have good brake cooling with my brake/wheel combo. I have "blued" the rotors, but after the cool down lap they were only at 250 deg. This last time out was the worst with pads I was running so it lived through that. The bike speedo does have its own ODO, and with this kind of motor/trans swap you loose your ODO anyway. My insurance agent is my neighbor so it did not seem to care about milage, "just give me a number over 100,000 miles" he said. I am only paying 18 dollars a month.LOL

melloh   Posted Saturday, Oct 7th 8:48am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 427

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
Dude... if I ever move out of CA, you may find yourself a new neighbor someday. Thats friggin sweet.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.