-Unified
 -Hosting
 -Personal
 -Vin-checker
 -Events

Registry
 -Index
 -Thumbnails

General Forum : broken 323.WHY ME!!!!!!!

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - broken 323.WHY ME!!!!!!!
e21enthusiast   Posted Sunday, Oct 8th 7:17pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 21

eugene,oregon
hennarot 320is,topasbraun metalic 323
OK FOR A SUSPENSION SWAP THAT IS SUPPOSIBLY ABLE TO JUST BOLT ON IT DID NOT. I was under the impresion that the 320 fronts would bolt to the 323. well after haveing worked all friday night got home from work saturday morning at 5 and started to work on the car,put my front eurobumper on new badges changed the lights started to take the supension of my 320. well long story short at about ten o clock pm, we thought we were done go to roll outa the drive way and crushcrushsquekarghh noises no. the wheels somehow are somehow moveing from front to rear and tore up the front of the fender/bumper. i was so upset i just left it on the street walked back insinde and got in bed. just looked at it this morning and it looks like the tierods are also hitting my rims. wtf im so confused i wont beable to figure it out till i get it jacked up later this week.was i supposed to take the controll arms of the 323 and reuse them? mabey thats where i went wrong. was i only supposed to use the shock and springs from the 320?

MikLem1   Posted Sunday, Oct 8th 11:10pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 23

PA/NJ
1980 323i Baur, 1979 Alpina B7
Did you swap over anything more than the strut assemblies? Pre and post '79 front subframe, sway bar, and control arms are not interchangeable. If you put, say the struts/sway bar/control arms from one car on the other, and the two cars were different years... it would probably put your wheels in a different position (assuming it's even possible to put the car together with that combination of parts).

MikLem1   Posted Sunday, Oct 8th 11:13pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 24

PA/NJ
1980 323i Baur, 1979 Alpina B7
Just looked at your cars. You have an early 323 and a later 320i. If you swapped more than the struts assemblies....

myersport   Posted Monday, Oct 9th 12:21am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 184

east tennessee
'82 320iS. '91 327iC
Yep-
My bad. I didn't realize that you had 1st AND 2nd Gen e21's. Won't work (as you realize now) without a full front end swap like Miklem1 posted.
--Dennis

e21enthusiast   Posted Monday, Oct 9th 1:49am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 22

eugene,oregon
man I shouldnt work on cars when I havent sleep in over 24 hours. was just trying to get the suspension done to go cruising with the guys sat night. that where I made my mistake I coulda had it done a lot quiker as well with no problems,now its gonna have to wait till next saturday.I was thinking I should swap it all since the 320 stuff was in better condition then the rusty 323 stuff with rotted bushings.it would of been so easy to just switch the struts/shocks, oh well sometimes we have to make mistakes to learn from them

realcrouton   Posted Tuesday, Oct 10th 8:37pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 48

Washington, USA
1977 320i, 1981 323i, 1991 325ic, 2000 328i
I will soon be installing a 323 (from 1980 I think) subframe in to my 77 320i, am I going to run in to the same problems e21enthusiast is running in to? If I understand correctly I am going to have to hunt up sway bars and control arms? Anything ells?

Thanks!

-Dave

e21enthusiast   Posted Friday, Oct 13th 12:32am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 23

eugene,oregon
Ha ha install complete.The 323 is dumped,and handles like a well not like a boat anymore.I never even realized that my rear bilstiens could go lower than they were I really like that adjustable perch idea!

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.