Tech Forum : frame stregthening 101

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - frame stregthening 101
Bill in MN   Posted Wednesday, Oct 11th 2:37am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 30

Minnesota USA
1988 735, 1986 535 turbo, 1981 Baur 323i
This is my first time trying to get pics to post on this site so forgive me if it gets screwed up. If they don't go I'll keep trying.

Today was metalwork day on the Baur. The frame rails were all bent to hell from years of improper jacking and as a result the floorboards were buckling upwards. Thankfully a friend is extremely talented at this stuff and had a ready solution....fabricate some 16ga. "covers" to go over the existing rails and further beef the daylights out of them. To get the rails back in their proper position we cut two verticle slots in them and pushed them back into place. After that the new rails fit perfectly over them.

The pics pretty much speak for themselves. There is now absolutly no fear of the rails tweaking again and they are much, much stiffer.

chupchup   Posted Wednesday, Oct 11th 4:41am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 94

Singapore
320m20
Bill I noticed that u did not drill any holes on the replacement rails. U figure that water will not get into the chassis?

wharthog   Posted Wednesday, Oct 11th 7:00am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 64

SF Bay,California, USA
1982 323i, , R1150RT
looks like you may have lowered your center of gravity too!

Bill in MN   Posted Wednesday, Oct 11th 3:19pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 31

Minnesota USA
The very last think I did was to drill holes to allow any moisture to get out. They weren't done at the time of the pics.

jrcook320   Posted Thursday, Oct 12th 12:49am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

Van Wert, OH
'81 320i
since you didn't remove the old frame rails, how are you going to prevent the new ones from rotting from the inside out? They have to be sealed on the inside and allowed to vent to prevent from creating a rust trap.

Bill in MN   Posted Thursday, Oct 12th 2:45am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 32

Minnesota USA
As mentioned in a previous post, there are weep holes drilled into them for moisture to drain out. The new rails were sealed on the inside prior to installation. Is there a chance they will rust?? Sure, but every measure was taken to minimize any future corrosion issues. My guess is that if it ever does rust it will be around the welds.

Today the outsides got cleaned up and coated with spray on bed liner material. It's tough as nails and provides an impact resistant barrier that undercoating can't match. The whole thing will get sprayed with traditional rubberized undercoating to match the rest of the undersides.

I'll get some more pics when I get the car in the air again.

jrcook320   Posted Thursday, Oct 12th 6:35am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

Van Wert, OH
'81 320i
Looks like you've got your bases covered, just making sure.

imaradiostar   Posted Thursday, Oct 12th 7:34am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 895

Nashville, TN
81 323i, 82 525i, 85 524td, 90 535i
You should look into SPI epoxy for the first (direct to metal) coat of your car- it's about as good as rust protection can get according to the stuff I've been reading recently.

jamie

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.