General Forum : Bosal sucks

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - Bosal sucks
EricDeeJay   Posted Thursday, Oct 12th 1:24am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 348

LA, CA
82 320i
I fired up my car after it sat for 21 months. Been a while since i've been on here. Tuned it up and found the semi new DEC cat I had was dead. They have a crap 2 year warranty, so I hve a dead cat with between 1-2000 miles on it. Dunno if it sitting played in somehow. So I surely wasn't buying another DEC, so we decided on a Bosal unit, direct fit, or is it really.

The mechanic putting it in said its too short by inches, and the tip wouldn't have line up at the bolt holes anyway. So we had to get both cat pipings welded into one. I should have just bought a cheap weld in unit had I known this. I need the car so no time to deal with returing it, and they are closed already since they are 3 hours ahead.

They better respond to my email.

bmw_m_320i   Posted Thursday, Oct 12th 6:51am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 724

Helena, Montana
none right now :(
I"ve never run into that with Bosal units, We normally stock Ansa, but with every Bosal I've installed, they have been a direct fit, maybe you got a defect? Or if you bought it from an aftermarket distributor, sometimes if a company has a bad run that isnt good for OE they will sell to the aftermarket so it isnt put to waste.

imaradiostar   Posted Thursday, Oct 12th 7:33am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 894

Nashville, TN
81 323i, 82 525i, 85 524td, 90 535i
We've had pretty good results with DEC stuff- I'm surprised it's bad. It usually takes something to make a cat go bad- any ideas?

For the record I also hate Bosal stuff. It's not as cheap as it ought to be for as low as the build quality is on some of it. I'd say it's at about the same level (maybe a bit better, at least the usually fit) as the crap you'd get from your local do-it-all muffler shop.

jamie

EricDeeJay   Posted Thursday, Oct 12th 8:46am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 349

LA, CA
82 320i
I don't know what happened with the DEC to make it go out. It may have been bad from the beginning, I never smogged the car after I put it in to know. It's here at the house. I don't know what to look for in its insides.

The new Bosal cat came direct from Bosal in NJ. The front of the unit was all correct, it was missing an inch or two out of the rear, forcing it to fit would have drug the muffer too far forward, and there was still the problem of the connector not lining up to join to the rear leading to the muffler.

The DEC blew something like 1950 they said for nitrogen oxides (NO) was like 1950 where it should be 1175 and 1005 at 15 and 25 mph. The new cat blew 386 and 309. The car blows way less in every category of the test, and below the averages too.

We'll see what Bosal says if they reply about the problem.

EricDeeJay   Posted Thursday, Oct 12th 8:08pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 350

LA, CA
82 320i
Bosal says

"Eric: As a company we have not manufactured this cat in 10 years. Because of the low numbers that are sold we purchase these thru another manufacture. But these are all built on jigs, an as such should be no more than 1/4 inch or less off in the worst case. All companies that build direct fits parchase an OE part an copy it. Not knowing your car history it would be hard to see where the problem has developed. We sell 4 a year and have not had any returns on this part. If the part was so far off it should not have been put on as cutting and welding near the cat could harm it and the warranty. George "

Great how DEC matched the OEm one exact, I don't know how these guys messed it up so bad. Glad to see they care.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.