-Thumbnails

Tech Forum : Engine idle

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - Engine idle
johnny   Posted Monday, Oct 16th 4:35pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 2

Eads,TN
Just bought this 83 320i, weird thing happened I changed out the Master cylinder and now the car wont idle.It bounces bet 300 rpm and 800 rpm.I thought it may be a vaccumn leak so I sprayed carb cleaner all around intake no help.I do notice some black smoke out the tailpipe,above idle engine seems to run normal,the higher rpm the better.I did a good visual for any vacumm lines that may be loose and I did pinch off the main vacummn going to the brake power booster no help.Any ideas ? thanks Johnny

Greg323i   Posted Monday, Oct 16th 6:02pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 248

Melbourne, Australia
1982 Hennaröt 323i
More than likely you have accidentally disconnected a vacuum line. Check the big vac lines going to the air intake boot.

johnny   Posted Monday, Oct 16th 6:55pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 3

Eads,TN
Thanks Greg,will remove the air cleaner assy and take another peek,Johnny

johnny   Posted Monday, Oct 16th 11:51pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 4

Eads,TN
Okay,I double checked all vac lines,all intact and tight.Removed master cylinder found oring had split.Installed new oring ,no help.Removed vac line going to the power booster and plugged no help.I went ahead as temp fix to drive and repositioned throttle cale taking out the slack and now it idles okay,Not fixxed however its drivable Any more ideas ??? thanks Johnny

johnny   Posted Thursday, Oct 19th 1:31pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 5

Eads,TN
One last thing when I removed the power booster vacumm hose with engine at idle the engine ran up to 1200 rpms and was smooth,shouldnt the rpm drop with that large of a vacumm line open?

melloh   Posted Thursday, Oct 19th 9:38pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 432

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
I may be wrong (so dontt ake it to the bank - just something to think about until someone else chimes in), but our general train of thought may have been reversed. You may have always had a vacuum leak but after replacing the MC, you sealed it - upsetting the air/fuel balance again. (this opposed to haveing caused a vacuum leak accidentally) So, now you might be running really rich. Just a thought...

pjs323i   Posted Monday, Oct 23rd 10:03am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 51

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
I don't know whether this is related but my 323i had the same simptoms when i purchased it. i then got it tuned by my mechanic (know my basics but i'm not technically great with cars) and it is idleing perfectly and stopped the black smoke

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.