- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - wierd noizes
ArnZ   Posted Thursday, Oct 19th 12:58pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 21

Qld, Australia
BMW 323i
hey guys,
recently my engine has been making wierd noizes lik tick tick tick tick, and its really bad when you first start it up or when the engine works hard, i think it might be something to do with the rockers or cams, but i dont really know the problemn ive checked the oil and everything..... some help wud be great guys

pjs323i   Posted Thursday, Oct 19th 1:21pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 51

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
i know is australia we can't get leaded petrol anymore it could be the valveseats sticking?? have you noticed a loss in power? do you use additive?

a ticking noise is completly normal in older cars while it is cold as the oil would still be cercualating through the block...as for when its worked hard??

it could just be worn out and the pistons are hitting against the side of the block??? i dunno i'm not a mechanic!

ArnZ   Posted Thursday, Oct 19th 1:26pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 22

Qld, Australia
BMW 323i
every now and again i use the valve additives, but yeh when the engine is working hard i.e. going up hills its making the noize, i was probably thinking its time to adjust the valve clearence, maybe they need a little TLC

KenDanielson   Posted Thursday, Oct 19th 4:01pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 192

Petaluma CA
'82 320is, '78 320i
If it's just a tick it's likely the valves need adjusting. The going up hills part makes me nervous, it may be timing too... Valves don't usually make more noise on a hill. Pre-ignition/detonation is very damaging to an engine. Check your timing too-maybe it's time for a good tune up?

ken

imaradiostar   Posted Thursday, Oct 19th 5:27pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 901

Nashville, TN
81 323i, 82 525i, 85 524td, 90 535i
could be an exhaust leak- under load when the exhaust pressure is greater you hear it puffing.

jamie

ArnZ   Posted Friday, Oct 20th 12:07am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 23

Qld, Australia
BMW 323i
im gonan go to my mechanic today, ill tell him about the noize and see what he has to say, c i dont really want to spend too much anymore on this engine cuz ill be putting a newer one in the near future (gonna put newer engine in after i finish yr12), if its valve adjustment ill do it myself... if it is timing, is that a hard job?

kpeters   Posted Friday, Oct 20th 12:42am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 812

San Jose, Costa Rica
1981 320/6 Kastanienrot-Metallic 5spd
Timing adjustment is not really that hard, if you have a scope its a piece of cake. If you don't its quite easy too though not as accurate everytime you do it. Just turn the distribuitor and listen to the engine carefully.

sunbeam***   Posted Saturday, Oct 21st 2:47pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 196

wirral UK
1982 323i
Could also be a cracked manifold / header, the crack will close as the header heats up and expands

ArnZ   Posted Saturday, Oct 21st 5:20pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 24

Qld, Australia
BMW 323i
mmmmm interesting,mechanic said my engine is on the way out which i do believe is true, yeh well im just waiting on the next engine, no point trying to fix the current engine...

by the way does anyone know how to get to the air-con condenser in the front because i plan to tak mine out...

regards Arnz

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.