-Unified
 -Hosting
 -Personal
 -Vin-checker
 -Events

Registry
 -Index
 -Thumbnails

Tech Forum : How to identify shock vs spring problems?

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - How to identify shock vs spring problems?
g323   Posted Tuesday, Oct 24th 3:52am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

California
323i 1982
Hi everyone, I have a 1982 323i in California, and Ive recently felt the suspension is very bad, especialy in the back. I notice that if i bouce the back, it bounces significantly more than in the front. I then went to the bav-auto website, got the part number for the sachs rear shocks, and got them for 50$ on ebay, thinking i got a deal. however, before I went to go put them on, i noticed that my rear end sits much lower, than the front. Do i need new springs too? if so must i replace all 4? and where could I get just 2.

imaradiostar   Posted Tuesday, Oct 24th 5:53am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 903

Nashville, TN
81 323i, 82 525i, 85 524td, 90 535i
I think you'll find that the stock 323i rear springs are much too soft. You might want to look into a sport spring set with stuffer rear springs- they're usually around $200. These are usually best accompanied with stiffer shocks such as Bilsteins or Konis.

jamie

chupchup   Posted Tuesday, Oct 24th 1:10pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 103

Singapore
320m20
The "red" or standard springs are very soft. Try the sport ones, "orange' and "pink" if u are getting orig BMW springs.

Also chances are your bushes are all gone including the frame mounts. If u are doing a change might as well change all the rubbers, it is all a "one" job.

redmist   Posted Tuesday, Oct 24th 4:45pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 990

NY USA
357i , 325i e30 turbo
Bilstein sports or nothing. I might have a used set I can let you have for cheap. Don't go to hard on the springs or you'll induce understeer.
200 pound springs are good for street/autocross.

chupchup   Posted Wednesday, Oct 25th 12:38pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 105

Singapore
320m20
redmist wrote:
Bilstein sports or nothing. I might have a used set I can let you have for cheap. Don't go to hard on the springs or you'll induce understeer.
200 pound springs are good for street/autocross.

Would a set of used Bilsteins be better then a new set of Boges Turbo gas??

redmist   Posted Wednesday, Oct 25th 7:49pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 992

NY USA
357i , 325i e30 turbo
Absolutely. The last forever and if you ever what to rebild them or change rates or rod length Bilstein will do it for you for about $75 each.

chupchup   Posted Friday, Oct 27th 3:41pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 106

Singapore
320m20
redmist wrote:
Absolutely. The last forever and if you ever what to rebild them or change rates or rod length Bilstein will do it for you for about $75 each.

Wow I learn something new today.....dampers can last forever.... I recall BMW inspection reccs a change of dampers between 60 to 80k.

redmist   Posted Friday, Oct 27th 6:54pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 993

NY USA
357i , 325i e30 turbo
If you are being sarcastic then you are being foolish. As they are rebuildable and Bilstein supplies the service they last forever.

imaradiostar   Posted Friday, Oct 27th 8:59pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 905

Nashville, TN
81 323i, 82 525i, 85 524td, 90 535i
Free rebuilds to the original owner if you keep the receipt...cheap rebuild without receipt and the ability to revalve as needed. You really can't beat it!

jamie

arshad76   Posted Saturday, Oct 28th 12:14pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

Manchester UK
E21 LHD 323i
Hello Redmist,

Not sure if you got my PM, but if you still have the Bilsteins, I'd be interested. Have no problems having them sent to an American address either.

chupchup   Posted Saturday, Oct 28th 1:13pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 108

Singapore
320m20
redmist wrote:
If you are being sarcastic then you are being foolish. As they are rebuildable and Bilstein supplies the service they last forever.

Are you scolding me?

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.