-Unified
 -Hosting
 -Personal
 -Vin-checker
 -Events

Registry
 -Index
 -Thumbnails

Tech Forum : Synthetic Oil Causes Leaks?

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - Synthetic Oil Causes Leaks?
g323   Posted Tuesday, Oct 24th 4:45am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 3

California
323i 1982
Does Syn Oil cause leaks in motor/trans/differential?

My car has been very badly taken car of before i bought it, i am "shotguning" it right now, fixing everything i can think of. Ive been changing the oil obsessivly and just recently changed the trans and diff fluid. Before changing them this last time, i had the trans fluid leaking slowly, aswell as the diff fluid leaking abit onto the fuel filter. I put some motor sealant stuff in the engine and the small oil leaks have stopped. However, I would like to try synthetics on all 3 of these places, would they just make the leaks worse?(they all seemed to have stopped)

imaradiostar   Posted Tuesday, Oct 24th 5:51am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 902

Nashville, TN
81 323i, 82 525i, 85 524td, 90 535i
Synthetic oils tend to remove sludge. Often times sludge is what is stopping an oil leak. This means a synthetic will often make leaky seals worse.

There is a theory that says it just takes a little while for the sludge to disperse then the seals will hold oil again. I don't really think this is true but you never know. I think if a seal is leaking you can just replace it with a good seal and fix the problem.

jamie

chupchup   Posted Tuesday, Oct 24th 1:06pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 102

Singapore
320m20
I have been using syn oils on the engine, gearbox and rear diff for the last 20 years and I don't detect any leaks. Ground is dry every morning.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.