Tech Forum : How much primer do I need?

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - How much primer do I need?
MayanArch   Posted Saturday, Oct 28th 8:04pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1179

Florida, USA
Baur E21 2.7 1982, Baur E30 318i 1985, 323i 1978
I am getting ready to sandblast and prime the chassis.

How much primer do I need for my Baur? How much should that much 2k Etch cost?

imaradiostar   Posted Saturday, Oct 28th 9:00pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 906

Nashville, TN
81 323i, 82 525i, 85 524td, 90 535i
Been researching the crap outta this.

sandblast.

epoxy primer.

filler (if needed) over the epoxy.

high build primer and block sand.

Slightly reduced layer of epoxy as a sealer.

base.

clear.

You might call Baker PBE and ask about Southern Polyurethanes products and how much it'll take to do your car. Southern Polyurethane is geared toward restore and hot rod work moreso than high volume work like most companies. The owner is extremely helpful in learning how to use his products- check out their web site.

jamie

sunbeam***   Posted Saturday, Oct 28th 9:30pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 197

wirral UK
1982 323i
I used 2 litres of 2K primer(which mixes up into 3 litres @ 2 to 1) to do the whole outer body, this gave me 3 good coats,plenty to go at when i came to wet sanding.
In the UK it cost me £9 per litre and hardener £11 per litre.

MayanArch   Posted Saturday, Oct 28th 10:17pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1180

Florida, USA
Epoxy??? hardner??

Is 2k an epoxy? I didnt know that.

imaradio.....could you share the knowledge as to why this is a superior method or mix?

Madhatter   Posted Sunday, Oct 29th 1:33am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 74

Australia - QLD
E21, E24, E30
how far back did you take the bodywork? back to undercoat or back to bare steel?

nowloadingrage   Posted Sunday, Oct 29th 6:13am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

Tennessee, U.S.
83' 320i -w- Century Turbo
From painting signs with automotive paints I can tell you this. You should be able to pick up at your local paint store (PPG) 1 gallon of Exoxy wash primer. and 1 gallon of catalyst. The mixture should be 50/50. Yet you can ask for a formula sheet when you buy it. This primer is made to prepare painted or raw metal surfaces whether it be steel or alum.

imaradiostar   Posted Sunday, Oct 29th 7:05am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 911

Nashville, TN
There is a lot of conflicting info out there. Go to the SPI forums. Don't you dare post...just read. For weeks. I've gotten scolded on auto body forums for asking dumb questions, I'm trying to save you from the same. The forum can teach you far more about this than I ever could!

THe Southern Polyurethane website has a page titled "the perfect paint job" that makes a good reference point for how to do a bare metal restore. Even if you aren't going bare metal, epoxy over the previous (sanded) paint will offer a superior sealer and layer for new paint to stick to.

The SPI (southern poly) stuff is easy to work with and geared toward restoration applications. As a general rule it's a higher quality product than anything else you can get for the money. If you follow the advice of the people on the forum and ask good questions there's absolutely no reason why you can't get an excellent paint job in your own garage or back yard. Just take as much time as possible to learn and read before you jump in.

My $.02 and then some as someone that's been learning this whole paint and body thing on his own...

jamie

MayanArch   Posted Sunday, Oct 29th 3:26pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1181

Florida, USA
Madhatter wrote:
how far back did you take the bodywork? back to undercoat or back to bare steel?

I am going to be sandblasting. This needs to be done qucikly in South Florida. You really cant do this little by little and leave bare metal out. It starts rusting overnight.

I plan to sandblast......blow off the residue....use some metal ready cleaner......wipe off any residue......blow dry.......then prime all in a days work.

I figure the sandlbasting can be done in the morning and the priming in the afternoon.

imaradiostar   Posted Monday, Oct 30th 4:03am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 913

Nashville, TN
it doesn't have to be that way- use SPI epoxy primer and go a panel at a time. Use a wax and grease remover before and after blasting and take your time to make sure everything is perfect. Trying to do it all in one day you may end up with some painful mistakes.

You need to be very careful blasting a car- you can damage body panels in a big hurry. I strongly encourage you to research the blasting/stripping on the autobody101 forum.

jamie

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.