Tech Forum : Flat spot

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - Flat spot
melloh   Posted Saturday, Nov 4th 5:00am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 443

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
OK. Slowly, I have been able to accomplish some work on the car. The car had been very weak, especially under load. it felt like there was a fuel shortage. Under that assumption, the first thing I checked was the fuel delivery system.

I removed the fuel pump relay and jumped it per instructions and tons of fuel came out - good!
[Note: I didn't measure the rate of flow yet per the bosch manual instruction.]

To be safe, i bought and installed a new fuel pump relay.

In that process, I found a HUGE gaping hole in the intake boot - replaced it. (Strange, b/c I thought i had already replaced it.)

The boot between the plenum and the head(?) has no visible holes, but has not been replaced for sure. Can this be done w/o having to remove anything major? I have a new one waiting to go in.

Checked spark plugs (still look decent with <1000mi - some dry carbon on them) and plug gaps (were ~.35 - so regapped to ~.30).

There still seems to be a flat spot in the mid-range (~2500-3200rpm) as I feel a slight, but noticable surge of power regained after ~3200rpm. There is one problem, though... I'm so used to driving the e30 that I might just be expecting more. The only way I can think of really testing the power is to time my 0-60 and compare to stock values.

Any ideas here?

nowloadingrage   Posted Sunday, Nov 5th 3:27am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

Tennessee, U.S.
83' 320i -w- Century Turbo
The boot or intake cowl does not require removing anything major yet it is a pain to install. Very tight fit. Probably save time by dropping the air meter box down (3 10mm nuts) and spinning off the cowl.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.