Tech Forum : === Exhaust manifold studs ===

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - === Exhaust manifold studs ===
ineedabrew   Posted Monday, Nov 13th 4:55am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 9

Stone Mountain, GA
1979 BMW 323i
I replaced some valves and all the seals throughout the engine on my 79 323i. When I was removing my exhaust manifold, instead of the nuts coming off all of the studs threaded out of the head. The nuts are rusted bad and locked on the studs. Long story short, I tried to match the studs and they are not normal 8mm 1.25 pitch threads. They are close but the stud is just a little bigger than what I can find at any hardware or auto parts store. Where can I get these studs? Would it be ok to tap the head use the closest 8mm bolts or studs I can find? Last thing to get me driving again..........
Thanks,
Jason

wharthog   Posted Monday, Nov 13th 7:44am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 87

SF Bay,California, USA
1982 323i, , R1150RT
Try the dealer or call Michael or Nat at Bavarian Professionals in Berkeley, CA (510) 595-3300. They can get them for you. They have a supplier right around the corner from them but I can't remember the name...

Don't tap the head. Too much risk of messing it up. I've replaced heads on people's cars that just took out too much aluminum... Unless you really know what you're doing...

JDBeyer   Posted Tuesday, Nov 14th 4:50pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 230

N. Humboldt county Ca.
82 323i on steroids
The studs are 8x1.25, but they might seem different from years of junk and rust!!
Unless some one before you did some re-threading.

Jeff

redmist   Posted Tuesday, Nov 14th 4:55pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1002

NY USA
357i , 325i e30 turbo
ARP sells some nice SS ones. m8x1.25

ineedabrew   Posted Thursday, Nov 16th 11:34pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 10

Stone Mountain, GA
1979 BMW 323i
Thanks guys....I got a hold of some at Global Imports here in Atlanta. Perfect fit and the manifold is top notch! Thanks for the help. I just never new studs could be slightly different in diameter than a typical bolt of the same diamter and pitch. I put a micrometer on them both and they are different indeed.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.