-Unified
 -Hosting
 -Personal
 -Vin-checker
 -Events

Registry
 -Index
 -Thumbnails

General Forum : RECARO'S DRIVING ME NUTS!!!!!

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - RECARO'S DRIVING ME NUTS!!!!!
sunbeam***   Posted Tuesday, Nov 21st 12:05am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 200

wirral UK
1982 323i
Ok ok i'm sick of looking for a set of e21 recaros at a sensible price, or even a set of e21 recaros at any price.
Could you guys out there tell me what seats actually fir in our e21's with minor tinkering..im thinking more about the rear seat than the fronts because i would like a matching set.

BruceH   Posted Tuesday, Nov 21st 12:24am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1041

Atlanta, GA USA
81 323 Baur, 85 745
Recaros from Mk2 and 3 VW GTIs go in easily, no?

Jason_323i   Posted Tuesday, Nov 21st 12:35am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 416

UK, Scotland
323i 2.7 tripple webber track car. Maserati Biturbo
Hi

Want a full set front & back recaro's retrimed black leatehr & suede inluding door cards and rear head rests

Jason

Jason_323i   Posted Tuesday, Nov 21st 12:38am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 417

UK, Scotland
323i 2.7 tripple webber track car. Maserati Biturbo
Hi I forgot to say, nothing bolts up but period recaros from fords & 635's bolt to the e21 subframes subframes sometimes come up on ebay or ebay.de

Otherwise chop out the seat rails you have a flat floor & any most seats fit

Jason

melloh   Posted Tuesday, Nov 21st 12:58am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 448

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
If you can wait until I move, I plan on stripping out the interior of my car. It has the black vinyl interior - you can get it all. Back seat (backing and butt-area) and passenger is very good condition. Drivers is usable - no tears, some cracking, and the little plastic tube is starting to come off on the side bolster. You will also need new elstic straps and you may as well stuff new foam in there to get some cusion back. NOT concourse, but looks pretty good to me! (Previeous owner used sheep skins, but was a biiiig guy). Only probem is shipping them - I've never shipped something like this.

pjs323i   Posted Tuesday, Nov 21st 11:19am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 51

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
I would think that with a slight modification you would be able to put in e30 seats, thats what i plan to do...something along the lines of these but with black leather:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bmw-E30-Leather-Seats_W0QQitemZ220051058672QQihZ012QQcategoryZ10374QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

jdench   Posted Tuesday, Nov 21st 12:54pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 123

Sussex, UK
1979 E21 323i, 1998 E36 323i touring
I have got a 635csi interior in mine.
With the front seats, just unbolt the frames on your existing seats and put them on the bottom of the 6 series recaros. The rear seats are a bit more involved, but the do fit, even with the central rear bolster. what you need to do is this;

1. Remove the rear seats
2. Measure across the bottom of the shelf where the old seats fit.
3. Mark your central line on the shelf
4. get the console dead centre and mark where the anchor points are
5. Take a small angle grinder to the ridges on the back of the 635 seats. (you will probably need someone else to give you a hand to line them up) take enough of the ridges off so that the seats are flush. (there is a bit on the bottom that needs to come off as well, measure it, mark it, make sure it fits and don't take too much off at a time) it is fiddly and time consuming, but they will fit eventually.
6. On the outer sides of the seats you will need to shave a bit off where the rear arched intrude.
7. On the bottom of the 635 seats there are two metal fixing points, mark where they are, and weld some small angle iron onto the bottom shelf, with holes drilled to attach them (this is a pig to do, but you will get there in the end)
8. There is a square hole in the back of the seat at the top, I put a plate of 14 gauge steel in this and fiberglassed it in.
9. Drill through the rear firewall, so that you can bolt the metal plate you have put in to the firewall (it is easier to measure it all beforehand and tack weld a captive nut behind the metal plate in the seat and then line it up)
10. The rear parcel shelf will now be about an inch too low, make a template (i used 1 1/4" MDF) to put in (I covered mine with black vynal, which is surpising good match for the grain of the leather)
11. The seatbelt anchors points are in the central bolster, make sure you bolt it down at all the points that are on it.
12. A quick splash of sealant on the bolt holes underneath and a drop of paint of the rear firewall.

Hey presto, spanking new interior!
It took me and my mate billy about 5 hours to do all this. I don't think I have missed anything out. Full interiors from 6 series are usally fairly cheap (I paid 130 for four seats) and they are black leather recaro's.

It is easier to do it without the central bolster, you don't have to cut the upper parts of the seats, but you need longer seatbelt receivers and you will need to put a blanking plate down each side and cover it how you see fit (you could even put some speakers in it!)

Hope this helps.

Or you could get your rear seats re-trimmed to match the front ones. See the Jaymic website, they can do it, but it is quite expensive.

Regards

John

JJG323   Posted Tuesday, Nov 21st 1:25pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1284

Reading MA USA
1979 BMW 323i
Check the local wreckers...recaros can sometimes be found there out of 320 is.

Thats where mine come from.

imaradiostar   Posted Tuesday, Nov 21st 5:15pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 946

Nashville, TN
81 323i, 82 525i, 85 524td, 90 535i
except he's in the UK and they didn't have the 320is we did...I don't think sport seats were as common over there. Just a guess though.

jamie

Zolika_e21   Posted Tuesday, Nov 21st 8:29pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 44

Hungary
e21_M54_30
jdench: What year is your 635 Csi come from?
It is from 6 serie 82-88?

sunbeam***   Posted Tuesday, Nov 21st 11:46pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 201

wirral UK
1982 323i
Jason how much hard earned are we talking about? i will IMS you my e-mail address and you can give me a cost and possibly a couple of photos?

John thanks for the detailed info, i have seen quite a few csi interiors for sale but always thought them to be too wide to fit. youve given me another option now, Thanks

Ian

jdench   Posted Wednesday, Nov 22nd 10:38am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 124

Sussex, UK
Mine came from a 1985 model.

Not a problem Ian, it does look really good, but it is a bit of a fiddle. There was a 316 for sale on ebay recently with a full Alpina interior, but I didn't really want to take my one out to fit it!

Zolika_e21   Posted Wednesday, Nov 22nd 9:22pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 45

Hungary
e21_M54_30
Can you post some picture ?

BarryA   Posted Wednesday, Nov 22nd 9:46pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 177

Sacramento CA
81 320
pjs323i wrote:
I would think that with a slight modification you would be able to put in e30 seats, thats what i plan to do...something along the lines of these but with black leather:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bmw-E30-Leather-Seats_W0QQitemZ220051058672QQihZ012QQcategoryZ10374QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

E30 seats fit with VERY little work (I've got black leather E30 cabrio/M3 front sport seats & an M3 rear seat in my US spec 320i) - on the fronts, the inner tracks bolt up, but the outer seat mounting pads need to have the height reduced and a new flat top plate fabricated for the outer track to work.

On the rear seat, the bottom cushion fits, but the top edge of the backrest hits the seat belt retractors in the upper corners - rather than modify the seat, I added a 1.5 inch square piece of aluminum tubing transversely flush with the package shelf and added a pair of hanger hooks to serve the same function as the ones welded to the closing panel that the stock backrest hangs from.

Oldmanwillie   Posted Friday, Jan 12th 5:40am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 7

South Australia
1982 323i motorsport
These damn recaro's seem to be giving everyone headaches myself included. im tossing up whether to have mine repaired or start the arduous search for a replacement seat. any advice?

sunbeam***   Posted Friday, Jan 12th 6:03pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 232

wirral UK
1982 323i
Oldmanwillie wrote:
These damn recaro's seem to be giving everyone headaches myself included. im tossing up whether to have mine repaired or start the arduous search for a replacement seat. any advice?

one of our forum members does a mean set of covers for them...i can't recall who but someone will speak up!

jdench   Posted Friday, Jan 12th 10:51pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 142

Sussex, UK
Look for a Mk1 Golf Gti, they have the exact same recaros as the e21 (different sticker on the bottom though)

Gabi_323i   Posted Sunday, Jan 14th 2:14am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 128

Bucharest, Romania
11/80 323i 2.7i Motronic 1.3
or opel manta b recaro's, i bought a set and they are very similar

http://www.opel6070club.com/jasensivut/jonih/manta_sisusta.JPG

sunbeam***   Posted Monday, Jan 29th 10:05pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 243

wirral UK
1982 323i
Oldmanwillie wrote:

Maybe an option?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/77-83-BMW-E21-320i-RECARO-SYNTHETIC-LEATHER-SEAT-COVERS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33702QQhashZitem110084331940QQihZ001QQitemZ110084331940QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD2V

jdench   Posted Tuesday, Jan 30th 1:55pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 154

Sussex, UK
If you want to have you flesh seared by them in the summer

melloh   Posted Tuesday, Jan 30th 8:15pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 463

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
Ha ha... it aint THAT bad.... I live in CA and it can get pretty hot (low 100's). With no AC and not even a blower, I survived. It wasn't pleasant, but at least it was comfortable and supportive ;o) This special seat cushion from Sharper Image has become my best friend - its got dozens of pores and 2 fans that circulate the air under your butt and on your back so you don't get sticky. Also great for short ppl like me for a 1/2" seat boost!

Moggul   Posted Friday, Feb 2nd 3:01pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

Madrid, Spain
BMW 320/6 '79
jdench wrote:
Look for a Mk1 Golf Gti, they have the exact same recaros as the e21 (different sticker on the bottom though)

Are the subframes for VW Golf also the same or do I need new subframes for e21?

jdench   Posted Friday, Feb 2nd 8:13pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 155

Sussex, UK
Just take the runners off the bottom and put the ones that were on your e21 onto them. One is raised because of the e21's floorpan shape.

Thread Administration

Copyright 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.