-Unified
 -Hosting
 -Personal
 -Vin-checker
 -Events

Registry
 -Index
 -Thumbnails

Tech Forum : To replace the or not to replace the head bolts...

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - To replace the or not to replace the head bolts...
ineedabrew   Posted Wednesday, Nov 22nd 12:43am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 18

Stone Mountain, GA
1979 BMW 323i
Ok guys...I have seen a couple posts on reusing head bolts and none of them were very definite. I just replaced the old hex head bolts with new torque head bolts. Long story short, I had to pull the head again because of a valve...should I get new head bolts??? I need some advice....can I reuse them?

phillbriggs   Posted Wednesday, Nov 22nd 1:16am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 231

Suffolk - United kingdom
BMW E21 320/6A CABRIO, PRE 09/1979 FACELIFT, ONLY 1 OF ITS KIND
i would buy new headbolts, mainly because i always do and also some headbolts are what you call stretch bolts and some can old bolts can also change from heat etc, alot of people think there is no need but others do, its sort of a 50/50 thing.

Tricord   Posted Wednesday, Nov 22nd 2:15am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Administrator
Post nr. 1000

Belgium, Europe
323i Baur
Especially because they're not expensive (about 15EUR for a full set) you should always use new ones. I know I do.

aussie323i   Posted Wednesday, Nov 22nd 5:53am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 541

australia
1979 323i
Seeing as you have only just replaced them, I'd say you're pretty safe to reuse them... I know they've been stretched once, but my old euro engine building mate (30 years of reconditioning BMW, VW, Porsche and Mercedes engines) had measurements for the bolts (both length and diameter) to check whether you could reuse them... unfortunately I can't remember the measurements for you to check.

I reused mine on my motor as they were within his tollerances, and I have had no problems at all (more than 50,000km on engine now).

(the bolts are actually quite expensive down under... way more than $15!)

Greg323i   Posted Wednesday, Nov 22nd 6:39am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 260

Melbourne, Australia
1982 Hennaröt 323i
aussie323i wrote:
(the bolts are actually quite expensive down under... way more than $15!)

Yeah, I think I paid $125 a couple of years ago. It's enough to make me want to move back. The dealer wanted $45 each for the standard rubber steering rack mount bushings. I have urethane ones on the way from my sister for US$40!

sunbeam***   Posted Wednesday, Nov 22nd 9:05am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 202

wirral UK
1982 323i
Phill is right its 50/50 but i have allways re-used head bolts once, i wouldn't re-used the same bolts time after time though!

BruceH   Posted Wednesday, Nov 22nd 3:20pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1043

Atlanta, GA USA
81 323 Baur, 85 745
You can *sometimes* reuse head bolts successfully but I wouldn't. As others have said they are stretch bolts and if torqued properly they have been stretched.

If the car is going to be with you long term you can stud the head which replaces the bolts with studs. More expensive hardware initially tho.

sunbeam***   Posted Thursday, Nov 23rd 12:30am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 208

wirral UK
1982 323i
Stretch bolts are usually torqued using the angle method, if you want to re-use them knowing they have already been torqued/stretched just revert back to the 70lbs/ft specification of the earlier hex bolts?
Or if your unsure just replace them?

ineedabrew   Posted Thursday, Nov 23rd 6:52pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 19

Stone Mountain, GA
1979 BMW 323i
Thanks guys for the info. I will hedge on the side of safety and buy the bolts...just wanted to get her finished over Turkey Day..I will be patient and wait for the bolts to show up!

Thanks.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.