General Forum : E21 PRE-FACELIFT BAUR RESTORATION

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - E21 PRE-FACELIFT BAUR RESTORATION
phillbriggs   Posted Wednesday, Nov 22nd 2:23pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 234

Suffolk - United kingdom
BMW E21 320/6A CABRIO, PRE 09/1979 FACELIFT, ONLY 1 OF ITS KIND
BMW E21 320/6 AUTOMATIC BAUR CABRIO, 06/1979 MODEL BEFORE FACELIFT,THERE IS THE ONLY ONE OF ITS KIND, GUARANTEED BY DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORT, OTHER 2 ARE FACELIFT MODELS,GENUINE 97,000. CURRENTLY UNDER RESTORATION AS YOU CAN SEE ITS LOOKING TIRED AND HASNT BEEN ON THE ROAD SINCE 1999. DONE 16 MILES IN 5 YEARS, TO MOT STATION AND BACK. THIS CAR HADNT BEEN STARTED FOR 5 YEARS AND WAS GOING WITHIN 30 MINS. IN REASONABLE CONDITION FOR AGE AND WORTH RESTORING BECAUSE OF BEING ONLY ONE OF ITS KIND IN THE UK. THIS CAR HAS ALL THE OLD STYLE FEATURES SUCH AS THE OLD STYLE DASH BEFORE THE FACLIFT. THE OLD FRONT VALANCE WITH THE 2 LITTLE PLASTIC GRILLS IN. ANOTHER SPECIAL FEATURE IS THE ZENDER BOOT SPOILER, TO THIS DAY I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANOTHER LIKE IT, TRULY AN EXTREMELY RARE BMW. BUT THIS CAR NEEDS A HELL OF ALOT OF WORK, FOR EXAMPLE HERE'S A LIST OF BODY PANELS IT NEEDS JUST TO SHOW HOW BAD IT IS:

BONNET
BOOT LID
DOORS
FRONT WINGS
REAR QUARTERS
OUTER SILLS
INNER SILLS
COMPLETE FLOOR PANELS
BOOT FLOOR
REAR PANEL
REAR VALANCE
REAR WHEEL TURRETS/HOUSINGS.

I THINK THATS ENOUGH TO GIVE YOU THE PICTURE.

here some pcitures of progress.

look at my radiator connector:

realcrouton   Posted Wednesday, Nov 22nd 7:48pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 76

Washington, USA
1977 320i, 1981 323i, 1991 325ic, 2000 328i
This looks like a worthy project Phill, I'm glad to see that you are going to do the job right, but how much of the original car are you going to have left?! Where did you find it? Did you pull it out of the English Channel?! That poor thing has soooo much rust! Keep posting pics of your progress.

-Dave

Bill in MN   Posted Wednesday, Nov 22nd 9:20pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 45

Minnesota USA
1988 735, 1986 535 turbo, 1981 Baur 323i
Holy man.

That,sir, is a project of monumental proportions

What's the plan for getting it back in one piece?

sunbeam***   Posted Wednesday, Nov 22nd 11:34pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 204

wirral UK
1982 323i
Wow! don't take this the wrong way but you must be mad....or very talented with the air saw/spot weld drill/mig combo?
There's many hours of honest fun to be had with that one, but it will be all the sweeter when done!

phillbriggs   Posted Thursday, Nov 23rd 1:35am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 235

Suffolk - United kingdom
shes in a bad way.

phillbriggs   Posted Thursday, Nov 23rd 1:41am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 236

Suffolk - United kingdom
more pics on tonights progress. rear end stripped, started on what i have dopne on interior, dash is next, then engine.

Greg323i   Posted Thursday, Nov 23rd 6:09am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 261

Melbourne, Australia
1982 Hennaröt 323i
I know it's really early in the piece, but do you have any idea what colour you're going to paint it? The colour that's there looks nice. Is it a BMW colour, or do you know?

imaradiostar   Posted Thursday, Nov 23rd 9:18am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 949

Nashville, TN
81 323i, 82 525i, 85 524td, 90 535i
You are an extremely brave and patient soul!

It's not impossible but it'll certainly be a difficult task.

Are you certain you couldn't find a cleaner example to start with?

jamie

phillbriggs   Posted Thursday, Nov 23rd 11:09pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 237

Suffolk - United kingdom
more progress:

dashboard and interior stripped, and glad to say wiring harness (one of the painful;l jobs, especially getting ity throught the bulkhead).

and more rotten steel

phillbriggs   Posted Friday, Nov 24th 12:25am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 238

Suffolk - United kingdom
hi im thinking of painting it iberscricht red, its a genuine bmw e21 color but i never really seen the color except on pcitures and im not sure what the red is like in real life.

Greg323i   Posted Friday, Nov 24th 6:30am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 262

Melbourne, Australia
1982 Hennaröt 323i
Don't quote me on it, but I think Ibersricht red is similar to Henna. If I remember correctly, there's an ibersricht red e21 at one of my local wreckers and I thought it was henna at first. But me memory ain't what it used to be either.

realcrouton   Posted Friday, Nov 24th 8:31am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 79

Washington, USA
Isn't the main reason you are going to all this effort to restore this particular car the rarity of it? That being the case wouldn't you want to repaint it the original color to maintain the cars integrity and "numbers matching" status, or does the color of the car not matching the color code on the door jam matter with collecting? I'm not really up on whats what when it comes to value in collecting, so forgive me if this was a stupid question.

-Dave

JJG323   Posted Friday, Nov 24th 1:19pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1286

Reading MA USA
1979 BMW 323i
phillbriggs wrote:
hi im thinking of painting it iberscricht red, its a genuine bmw e21 color but i never really seen the color except on pcitures and im not sure what the red is like in real life.

Hi thats the color that I have on my 323i, and you have seen what it looks like guards red/orange on the new porsches.

Its a very BRIGHT color.

And it is similar but not exactly the same as Henna.

Phil - what is your plan of attack for getting the massive amounts of rust fixed. My 323i.. had rust on the rear quarters and tailpanel, as well as bascially non existant floor boards.

I have to cut floors out of a donor 320i, right threw its frame rails....

Its a lot of work to repair cars with rust,
and I think BMW did not intend for our cars to be as old as the are...

good luck,
J

chupchup   Posted Friday, Nov 24th 2:29pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 117

Singapore
320m20
Hey

I am really glad to see that there are other "mad" people attempting such projects. Certainly a very worth while project.

And I m most happy to hear that u are not gonna "upgrade" to the face lift series, like some others would.

I know some guy who restored 1 of 2 Buars here and he spent quite a fair bit of $$$$ but he made a MESS of the car!!!!!!!! Like cartoon characters on original Recaro seats, US turn signals on a RHD, E36 gear knob. He told me that he did a lot of research on the internet before restoring the car, until I pointed out all the "wrong" things.

My final 2 cents worth, if u ar gonna do a proper restoration, would it not be better to restore it in original colours?

phillbriggs   Posted Friday, Nov 24th 4:37pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 239

Suffolk - United kingdom
i havnt really thought about the color much its not reqally a urgent issue, i will decide in time, i dont really think its matters if you change the color though, and none of the original color will be left on the car. i have new floor boards i bought from walloth and nesch, they had run out of the right hand floor board but after months i found one on german ebay. i wil be replacing rear quarters completly and the back panel and boot floor. panels i no i have to replace so far are:

front panel,
front valance,
both inner wing side supports,
n/s inner wing and chassis leg?,
outer sills,
inner sills,
both floor boards,
both rear quarters,
both inner wheel turrets,
both outer wheel turrets,
boot floor,
rear panel,
lower windscreen frame,
lower rear windscreen frame,
boot lid,
both doors
bonnet,
both wings,
and put a small patch in bulkhead.

pjs323i   Posted Saturday, Nov 25th 4:16am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 51

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
Thats one big task mate! Every time i see stories of totally rotted e21's...i'm so glad i live in inland Australia Yeah colour is really not that important at this stage. But i'd keep it original, although the only good colours on e21's (in my opinion) and Red, Silver (my e21 is silver) and black (black looks good on any car though). but good luck and i hope you get her on the road, can't wait to see her as a finsihed project

chupchup   Posted Saturday, Nov 25th 12:24pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 118

Singapore
320m20
A few great colours for E21 are: Opalgrun (mine), bronze, white and yellow!!!

Greg323i   Posted Monday, Nov 27th 4:10pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 264

Melbourne, Australia
1982 Hennaröt 323i
Reseda green and Brazil Beige (brown?) are great colours that aren't seen much.

From Robert's 323i page:

realcrouton   Posted Tuesday, Nov 28th 2:01am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 81

Washington, USA
That color is really cool. I'm pretty sure I'm going to color match my bumpers too. Who makes that front air dam?

chupchup   Posted Tuesday, Nov 28th 10:02am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 119

Singapore
320m20
realcrouton wrote:
That color is really cool. I'm pretty sure I'm going to color match my bumpers too. Who makes that front air dam?

BMW, it is a motorsport spoiler

realcrouton   Posted Tuesday, Nov 28th 7:21pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 82

Washington, USA
Can you still get it from BMW? Is it available aftermarket, or as a knock-off? Of all the front air dams out there, I like that one the best.

BMWx23i   Posted Wednesday, Nov 29th 4:54am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

belgium
318is E36 - 323i E21
lol nice bumper that's what i want to get

BruceH   Posted Wednesday, Nov 29th 3:20pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1046

Atlanta, GA USA
81 323 Baur, 85 745
I don't think the motorsports spoiler is available from BMW. Walloth und Nesch had them a while back. Doesn't Korman sell a knockoff of this piece?

realcrouton   Posted Wednesday, Nov 29th 9:14pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 83

Washington, USA
Korman has this part: http://www.kormanfastbmw.com/e21styli.htm ,but it has an integrated bumper (racing only) and it's like $750 as I recall. I might be wrong on the price. If I can't find another I might have to buy one of these.

BruceH   Posted Wednesday, Nov 29th 10:01pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1048

Atlanta, GA USA
81 323 Baur, 85 745
That is the piece on Robert's car. The Korman unit was lifted from the Motorsport unit. The "bumper" is actually fiberglass.

realcrouton   Posted Thursday, Nov 30th 1:24am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 84

Washington, USA
So the original Motorsport part always replaced the front bumper? If that's the case then I guess I'll have to jump off my wallet and get this Korman knock off. Any one need a front Euro bumper?!

phillbriggs   Posted Thursday, Nov 30th 10:15pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 240

Suffolk - United kingdom
latest pics from last few days, shell striped down to bare rolling shell for now untill i get it on a frame etc, engine trans out. now the big decision whether to go ahead and restore or not.

wharthog   Posted Friday, Dec 1st 9:23am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 98

SF Bay,California, USA
1982 323i, , R1150RT
I thought I was insane...

redmist   Posted Friday, Dec 1st 8:35pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1010

NY USA
357i , 325i e30 turbo
Run away, run away.
Sorry Phil. I just got done fixing all the rust on my e30 project. The body looked perfect from the outside. I probable welded in 20 patch panels. It's a lot of work even with the right tools. Most of the areas I did were hidden from the outside, yours are right out there in structural, difficult spots.

phillbriggs   Posted Friday, Dec 1st 9:30pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 241

Suffolk - United kingdom
well its not so bad for me as i do bodywork for a living and i do salvage/accident damage repairs so i used to strutural work

imaradiostar   Posted Friday, Dec 1st 11:26pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 958

Nashville, TN
Unless it's your dead father's car or something else that holds great sentimental value it just seems like way too much work!

jamie

phillbriggs   Posted Saturday, Dec 2nd 12:37am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 242

Suffolk - United kingdom
no its not but dvla and the department of transport in the UK say its the only pre faclift baur of its spec in the UK, that makes it a rare vehicle in this country. also i like the challenge, im not saying im doing it because of that it just adds to it a bit.

realcrouton   Posted Saturday, Dec 2nd 12:37am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 86

Washington, USA
I hear what you guys are saying, but it would be a real shame if a car that's as rare as this disappears. I think it's probably worth a go. But of course I'm the eternal optimist....

-Dave

imaradiostar   Posted Saturday, Dec 2nd 2:37am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 959

Nashville, TN
I suppose it's always worth saving a one-of-a-kind car! It will be an interesting challange. I suppose most of the repair parts exist. It probably wouldn't be too tough to cut sections out of solid donor cars.

jamie

Taiko   Posted Saturday, Dec 2nd 3:08am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

Scotland
Baur 232i
That's a huge job for yourself! It's great to see someone restoring a Baur in the UK, but I would be inclined to say that the rust has claimed that car. Unless you have alot of time to invest I would look somewhere else.
Do you have any idea where the previous owners kept that car, because it has suffered badly.
Anyway, if you continue, good luck and I am sure you will finish with a great looking car as always.

sunbeam***   Posted Saturday, Dec 2nd 1:49pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 210

wirral UK
1982 323i
Where are you going to start? do you replace the floors and inner/outer sills first, before cutting off rear quaters and boot floor?
are you making up a rigid fixed jig to support the shell prior to removing sections to retain allignment?

phillbriggs   Posted Saturday, Dec 2nd 8:19pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 243

Suffolk - United kingdom
i dont know whewre any of the prevous keepers kept it i think maybe in there local lake. i dont where im going to start yet, probably at the front thats the easy bit. yes its going to be sat on a steel trolley frame to keep it straight, i will put braces in the door shuts and plenty of crossmembers.

Ladd   Posted Sunday, Dec 3rd 7:07am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 56

OR - USA
1981 320i E10
realcrouton wrote:
So the original Motorsport part always replaced the front bumper? If that's the case then I guess I'll have to jump off my wallet and get this Korman knock off. Any one need a front Euro bumper?!

I could use a Euro bumper.

How far up into WA are you? I'm in Portland.

Ladd

realcrouton   Posted Monday, Dec 4th 8:15pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 87

Washington, USA
I'm in Centralia, that's about an hour and a half North of Portland right off I-5.

-Dave

realcrouton   Posted Monday, Dec 4th 8:22pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 88

Washington, USA
BTW, I got a price from Korman on that bumper cover. $430.00 I think I'm going to get one when I get to that stage in my project....might be a while!

AlaskaBimmer   Posted Thursday, Jan 4th 9:32am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 16

Anchorage, Alaska
1981 323 Baur, 1978 320i, 1979 320i,
Wow what a project makes me feel like my beater 320i isn't very rusty at all I can only put my hand through the body in the or 4 places...

what zender boot spoiler do you have? I have one I can't find any reference to on the net on my 323i Baur as well, I'm told by others it's a Evo wing style like the e-30 M3, but made for the e-21. I also have the full zender front, rear and side trim on my baur as well. the bumbers go right over the euro bumpers so there is no need to remove the bumper.

good luck with the project and it's good to see another Baur restoed to health, although if you let it rust there would be one less and mine would be worth more

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.