Tech Forum : O2 sensor worth it?

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - O2 sensor worth it?
g323   Posted Tuesday, Dec 5th 6:12am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 28

California
323i 1982
I have a federalized e21 m20 323i 1982, they installed a o2 sensor and some little box in the glove compartment with wires coming out of it. Does it even do anything? should i just disconnect everything? how could I do that?

In california they would check to see if the o2 sensor exists, but not what its connected too, should i just cut out the box? what does the box do? if pictures would help I can post them.

If i cut the box, what would i then have to re-connect

what would be the value of replacing it? and does it matter which kind i put in?

thanks again!

bmw_m_320i   Posted Tuesday, Dec 5th 8:29am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 735

Helena, Montana
none right now :(
the O2 basically is there to protect the cat more than anything else, It will run richer if you simply unplug it, if it still even works. The box you are refering to is basically a timer that turns the O2 light on after so many miles, and was reset after the O2 was checked and/or replaced. If you disconnect the O2, the safe thing to do is to readjust the CO and lean it out a tad if you have a cat on the car

g323   Posted Tuesday, Dec 5th 9:26am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 29

California
323i 1982
just a timer? I dont have a check engine light on my car.

imaradiostar   Posted Tuesday, Dec 5th 8:24pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 961

Nashville, TN
81 323i, 82 525i, 85 524td, 90 535i
The box he's referring to was on US 320i's- it would turn on a light to let you know the car needed emission service. Your 323i probably isn't equipped.

Your 323i has an added on frequency valve and computer that reads the oxygen sensor and varies the duty cycle of the frequency valve accordingly, bleeding off control pressure so that the car runs cleanly. If you're planning to a keep a cat on the car you might want to keep the freq valve. If not I'd say loose it and fatten up the fuel curve a bit for more power.

jamie

wharthog   Posted Wednesday, Dec 6th 6:48am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 102

SF Bay,California, USA
1982 323i, , R1150RT
I've got an O2 sensor on my '82 323i as well. I only run a cat when I take it for a smog check. I get some pinging up hill at high RPMs with larger throttle openings...

Any advice?

g323   Posted Sunday, Dec 17th 7:18am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 49

California
323i 1982
So i put in the o2 sensor, a bosch 11027( i figured this would be the best becuase the 5 series for the US had it and it had the same engine and the k-tronic aswell(I couldnt tell from the old one what kind it was and since this car isnt made to have one, i had to research a bit) Now it doesnt have as much pull and i feel it may be too lean a mixture, also im noticing more pinging.

Any suggestions?

Also weird, the o2 sensor that it had already(did look exactly the same as the one i put in, somewhat different numbers on the side) was a 1 wire, yet furthur up the wire closer to where it goes to the cabin, the 1 wire turns into a ghetto cut coaxial to to single wire conversion, whereby the outside wire is cut away and only the center wire connects to the o2 sensor wire. Any body know what the deal is with that?

bmw_m_320i   Posted Sunday, Dec 17th 5:33pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 742

Helena, Montana
none right now :(
That might have been the Factory shielded wire to protect it from interference inside the harness, I only though they did that on things like crank sensors.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.