-Unified
 -Hosting
 -Personal
 -Vin-checker
 -Events

Registry
 -Index
 -Thumbnails

General Forum : The Baur is making me see red!!!

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - The Baur is making me see red!!!
Bill in MN   Posted Wednesday, Dec 6th 3:35am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 53

Minnesota USA
1988 735, 1986 535 turbo, 1981 Baur 323i
Sorry, It's kind of a poor photo but you get the idea.

I pulled it from the area we painted it and just had to get a pic. Sorry, Hennarot doesn't translate well with my camera.

I thought long and hard and went with a PPG base/clear as opposed to the single part. I know, the base/clear was not offered in Henna that year but it's got a much deeper shine than the single part Henna could ever come close to and I'm okay with the non-originality of that one small detail.

Next up is the sanding and buffing phase which I'll begin in a few days and hopefully finish up by the end of the weekned. I hope to have the motor put together within the next few weeks and the tub sitting on its own axles within the next month. I decided on the 2.7 eta bottom end, 731 head(both tweaked a bit) and Motronic.

Further progress will be limited to how long it takes to order and take delivery of parts.

I'll keep posting the progress as it happens.

JJG323   Posted Wednesday, Dec 6th 3:41am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1288

Reading MA USA
1979 BMW 323i
Congrads..I love it.

its very close to iberscrott.

e21enthusiast   Posted Wednesday, Dec 6th 4:29am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 45

eugene,oregon
hennarot 320is,topasbraun metalic 323
where did you get hennarot paint? is it like exact same hennarot as the factory color. did you have it matched or order it somewhere. how much was it?looks great! more pics please.

Bill in MN   Posted Wednesday, Dec 6th 6:07am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 54

Minnesota USA
The nearest PPG store did it and it's mixed to 052, BMW's number for Hennarot. Any decent auto paint store will have the proper codes.

I used PPG products all the way around and they ran around $600. "House" brands from some of the auto parts stores are about 1/2 the price but in my experience they look good for a couple of years and that's about it. My 535 is testamant to this. It suffers from a cheaper clear coat they sprayed on a Sikkens base without telling me and is already looking like crap....and it's only 3 years old!

I've had a few IM's asking what I'll have into the paint job. So far I'm at about $1200 with me doing 90% of the work. I hired a freelance resto guy who works for $30/hr to make sure I was on track and to shoot it. He will also be doing the buffing and fix any goof ups I create.

I had 2 bids from reputable shops in our area, both in the 5k ballpark. Money can be saved by doing it yourself but a quality paint job is extremely labor intensive. I'm guessing I've over 80hrs of my time in on it already.

wharthog   Posted Wednesday, Dec 6th 7:01am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 105

SF Bay,California, USA
1982 323i, , R1150RT
Looking fantastic... Your post is becoming my favorite soap opera.

MayanArch   Posted Wednesday, Dec 6th 10:21pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1210

Florida, USA
Baur E21 2.7 1982, Baur E30 318i 1985, 323i 1978
Did you spray it on your own?

Do I understand correctly that the Hennarot is ready-mixed with its own clear coat?

Is painting panels off the chassis kosher? Doesnt that cause small differences in paint spray density at the seam that make it look like different shades of paints?

How would you break down those 80 hours? What did you spend them on?

I am thinking about doing this myself, but I am very afraid of what the finished paint will end up looking like. I will sandblast and prime it myself, since taht can look like crap.........but I am aprehensive about doing the finished paint. I may very well paint the trunk and the engine compartment first with flat black to see how that turns out.

Bill in MN   Posted Thursday, Dec 7th 12:04am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 55

Minnesota USA
Mayan

The factory Henna was a single part finish. PPG now makes a base/clear to the factory 052 specs so I used the two part stuff. It can still be had in single part as well.

I had all of the panels on the car for final fitment, the body work (fillers) and the filler primer. It then came apart for the wet sanding process. It's a lot easier on the back and knees to sand panels that are lying flat on a bench. It's also easier to tell if there are ripples or low spots if you can actually get at eye level and site down the panel. If I weren't being picky on this one they would have stayed on the car.

Most resto shops will prefer to do the panels off the car. The chances of damaging the fresh paint while reassembling the rest of the car is pretty great so they are the last thing to go back on.

There is no issue with the paint taking on a different shades between various panels. The paint is all from the same batch.

I never really kept track of where the time went. I just know I've spent about 6hrs a day for the past 3 weeks on it. I'd guess the majority was into blocking it out and fixing 25 years of dings and such. There's no doubt a trained professional could have done it in 1/3 the time it took me. I make no claims to be an ace at this!

MayanArch   Posted Thursday, Dec 7th 4:56pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1213

Florida, USA
Is PPG the actual name of the brand, or is that short for something?

What exactly do I ask for when I go to the paint rep?

How many gallons did you use? and did you paint the trunk, engine compartment, and interior?

I like the idea of deeper more lasting colors......obviously. I too am no sticker for originality. The Baur is a mod. Why bitch about doing mods to a mod?

My Baur is going to be the dark silver that they put on the E46 M3's.

However, I am thinking of Hennarot for my E30 Baur.

Bill in MN   Posted Friday, Dec 8th 12:08am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 57

Minnesota USA
PPG is a brand name. It took about 2/3 gallon of base coat and about the same of the clear. I got a gallon of both and have leftovers just in case. When you go to a paint shop just tell them what paint code you are looking for and they can take it from there. I found list of the colors/codes over on Jeroen's site but any dealer ought to be able to provide you with them as well.

The trunk and engine bay got painted but the interior didn't. It wasn't neccessary since it's all covered up. I was primered, however.

MayanArch   Posted Friday, Dec 8th 12:35am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1214

Florida, USA
Bill,

I am sure I can do the primer and wet sanding. I have a pretty sensitive touch for surface inconsistencies, and am pretty good at sculpting.

I am afraid of the final spray. Did you do this yourself? Was it hard to get consistent coverage? Was it hard to avoid bubbles and or specs of dust landing on fresh paint? I see that you painted it in your garage.

What kind of gun did you use?

Bill in MN   Posted Friday, Dec 8th 2:33am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 58

Minnesota USA
I hired a guy that helped out from the very first coat of filler primer all the way to its finish (hopefully we're done tomorrow).He came in after I had done all of the body work and had it in primer. He did most of the spraying and has been there for the stuff I know I don't know how to do, like make the damn thing look great! He also provided all of the equipment needed, a godsend since I don't have good stuff.

I found him through the local auto shop where I got my paint. I simply asked if they knew of any freelance painters and they set me up with 4 different names. I had each of them come look at the project, got their prices and made my decision based upon how well I got along with him and by checking references. I am lucky in that I found an experienced craftsman that got bored after he sold his shop and retired. He is getting off on this project and loves old European stuff and is egging me on to tackle an E9 project I've always wanted to play with. This is dangerous!

My advice would be to find a guy like I did. It's not all that expensive in the long run and I have learned much during the process.

MayanArch   Posted Friday, Dec 8th 11:04am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1215

Florida, USA
Great idea. I will ask the local paint supply store.

Bill in MN   Posted Saturday, Dec 9th 12:14am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 59

Minnesota USA
We got the whole thing buffed out today, a big job. Thes photos don't do it justice and hopefully it's warm enough tomorrow to pull it outside for better pics.

Next up is to "fine tune" any blemishes and mistakes as well as paint the rockers and spray schutz in the wheel wells. This'll take another day and then its officially done.

sunbeam***   Posted Saturday, Dec 9th 5:03pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 218

wirral UK
1982 323i
Lookin' good Bill, why have you not painted the front screen top rail..is this covered by a trim for the baur?

Bill in MN   Posted Saturday, Dec 9th 5:21pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 60

Minnesota USA
The front of the "roof" section is covered by the same fabric that covers the fiberglass panel and the convertable top. It's glued directly to the metal.

BruceH   Posted Saturday, Dec 9th 6:37pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1061

Atlanta, GA USA
81 323 Baur, 85 745
Bill,

Speaking from experience here..... have fun gluing the new cloth in place.

B

myersport   Posted Saturday, Dec 9th 7:51pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 184

east tennessee
'82 320iS. '91 327iC
Bill-
I LOVE the color. The car looks great. Hopefully you bought the new dash like we discussed! This car is definetly worth it.
--Dennis

Ladd   Posted Saturday, Dec 9th 11:37pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 60

OR - USA
1981 320i E10
MayanArch wrote:
Is PPG the actual name of the brand, or is that short for something?

What exactly do I ask for when I go to the paint rep?

Hey Mayan,

PPG stands for Pittsburg Paint & Glass and here in Oregon they have their own stores as well as distributors, not sure about Florida.

Tell them the year, make & model and they can tell you all of the colors it came in.

I have a Toyota that I am going to paint the same charcoal grey that the early 80's Porsche 928S came in.

If you see a color of car you like, given that it is a factory color, they can get you the paint.

MayanArch   Posted Sunday, Dec 10th 2:39am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1218

Florida, USA
BruceH wrote:
Bill,

Speaking from experience here..... have fun gluing the new cloth in place.

B

Tell us your experience Bruce. Several of us have fun with that to look forward to.

BruceH   Posted Sunday, Dec 10th 6:23am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1063

Atlanta, GA USA
81 323 Baur, 85 745
It is a fussy 2 man job. You are trying to get a piece of fabric that has been coated with contact adhesive to sit perfectly on a compound curve that has contact adhesive. No special trick just frustrating. Then trimming the fabric at the gutter is no picnic either.

The targa panel is relatively easy tho.

MayanArch   Posted Sunday, Dec 10th 5:59pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1219

Florida, USA
BruceH wrote:
It is a fussy 2 man job. You are trying to get a piece of fabric that has been coated with contact adhesive to sit perfectly on a compound curve that has contact adhesive. No special trick just frustrating. Then trimming the fabric at the gutter is no picnic either.

The targa panel is relatively easy tho.

I guess my fear would be getting an uneven stretch to the fabric.............and having the texture of the fabric show it.

I can see how it is like handling box tape.....and having it tend to stick to itself. That definetly is a two man job.

How stretchy is the fabric once soaked with contact cement?

Who did you source the new top from? I have seen some people advertising it on ebay.

AlaskaBimmer   Posted Thursday, Jan 4th 9:18am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 15

Anchorage, Alaska
1981 323 Baur, 1978 320i, 1979 320i,
I don't post as ofton as I should over here, but nice car, it's nice to see another Baur in the states.

I need to re paint mine someday but I lack the space or the skill to tackle that project on my own.

BruceH   Posted Thursday, Jan 4th 3:37pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1081

Atlanta, GA USA
81 323 Baur, 85 745
Mayan,

I missed your post. The fabric doesn't really get saturated with the contact cement. Doesn't give very much either. Just fussy two man work.

B

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.