Tech Forum : ITB's on a turbo M10

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - ITB's on a turbo M10
bmw_m_320i   Posted Sunday, Dec 10th 10:36am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 736

Helena, Montana
none right now :(
I'm thinking of going to ITB's on my M10 Turbo since I'm fabricating an intake manifold for it anyways. I'll be running megasquirt which uses a MAP sensor, so with setup I would have to have a seperate vaccum manifold to supply the MAP sensor with a reliable signal. The main reasons I want to do this is for better throttle response, and so I can mount the bypass valve directly on the plenum. My theory is to mount the bypass valve as close the intake ports as possible so the smallest amount of air is discharged as possible hopefully reducing lag, since instead emptying the plumbing from basically the intercooler to the TB, I'll only be releasing pressure at the very end of the intake path so the system will pressurize quicker. I've got a set of 45mm ITB's which would be perfect for this engine. Anyone have thoughts on this?

ffmotorwerks   Posted Wednesday, Dec 13th 5:27pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

philly, pa
01 325 touring, 79 320
i am curretly doing the same set-up. i am using a custom manifold, hayabusa itb's (46mm) and a carbon fiber plenum. i will be running on megasquirt and using a t3/t4 48 trim garret. i am still currently waiting for the rest of my parts to arrive, i will update when i get somewhere with it. i like the idea of mounting the bov on the plenum, i may play around with that. my inspiration for the itb/turbo was my friends sr20det motor which is stock itb/turbo, dynoed at 200 whp, yet runs like 300, seems to be a hot set-up. and as a side note, itb's are just much cooler, and look much better than the stock m10 intake manifold.

bmw_m_320i   Posted Wednesday, Dec 13th 7:59pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 739

Helena, Montana
I've been working around building a custom manifold since I started this project, stock manifolds just arent suitable for a turbo in my opinion, the runners are way to long, and the plenum isnt large enough, except for on the early 3 piece manifold. I planned on making a carbon plenum also, but I dont wanna spend the money to do so until I've produced the final version of the intake manifold. My ITB's are off of a v6 Johnson outboard boat engine 45mm each, they are the perfect size. I'm running MegaSquirt N Spark Extra with COP

ffmotorwerks   Posted Wednesday, Dec 13th 11:57pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 4

philly, pa
01 325 touring, 79 320
wow, cool man, i never realized they used itb's on boat engines. here's a great link for making plenums http://www.rotaryeng.net/carbon-intake.txt

and also some good info on the design of the s14 cf plenum here http://e30m3performance.com/tech_articles/engine-tech/airbox_symposium/index.htm

bmw_m_320i   Posted Thursday, Dec 14th 11:35am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 740

Helena, Montana
I love the article on composites, Ive been to the E30 M3 site quite a few times also!

I also never knew that boats had ITB's until I found these on eBay a couple of years ago

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.