Tech Forum : Bleeding Is Turning Into Rocket Science

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - Bleeding Is Turning Into Rocket Science
marinersfan   Posted Monday, Jan 8th 12:14am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 63

Springfield, Missouri
78 320iS
I have searched hours of forums and google looking for answers and now I'm searching you all for some insight.

Here's the senario...as part of my engine rebuild I painted the engine bay. This means for a day or two I pulled the brake booster, and master cylinder.

As you can see I also removed the tranny. In several cases the hydraulic lines were disconnected as well for almost a year before things were reassembled. I did during reassembly have to remove the reservior.

I lucked out on Ebay and in the town where I live I found a Sach's Clutch Kit for $20. Yep, brand new, in the box clutch, pressure plate and throw-out bearing. I guess I should mention too that the clutch and brakes worked fine before teardown. I just figured that as long as I had it apart, I had the flywheel resurfaced and put the kit in. Yes, I even replaced all the pilot bearing components. The bearings nowadays are sealed and not needle-type.

The problem is when the engine is running I can't get the tranny IN gear. If I start the engine IN GEAR I cannot get it OUT of gear while the engine is running. At first I had a limp pedal and the only way to get resistance back on the pedal is to remove the slave and push the rod in a few times. I went and bought a MityVac Bleeder but I'm not real impressed with it at least for bleeding the clutch. Haven't tried to bleed the brakes yet. They do work but need to be bled. There also are NO leaks anywhere!!!

I've used the search function on 4 different forums as well as Google and this seems to be a problematic issue with our cars. It WILL shift through the gears without the engine running just not after it's started. I've removed the slave about 5 times and I'm kinda at a loss.

Can anyone here possibly offer some insight? I was worried that maybe the clutch got installed backwards. However something tells me that it's stamped on the clutch somewhere that says "THIS SIDE FACING ENGINE". Can anyone confirm this??? Beleive me the LAST thing I want to do is drop the tranny again....

I COULD limp it to a shop about 8 blocks away but I cant afford to pay $30-$40 to have the system professionally bled and have it not make any difference as I'm currently disabled and on a fixed income.

Thanks Guys!!

BruceH   Posted Monday, Jan 8th 12:37am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1082

Atlanta, GA USA
81 323 Baur, 85 745
You got the pressure plate in backwards. Ask me how I know.

marinersfan   Posted Monday, Jan 8th 12:57am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 64

Springfield, Missouri
78 320iS
You sure you don't mean the clutch disc??? I don't see how the pressure plate could be reversed. I don't think it's physically possible is it? Inquiring minds wanna know....

#1 is the pressure plate. #2 is the clutch disc.

bmw_m_320i   Posted Monday, Jan 8th 2:23am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 746

Helena, Montana
none right now :(
try bleeding it by removing the slave from the bellhousing and compressing the plunger in with the palm of your hand with the bleeder open and then closing it before decompressing it. repeat that several times, air gets trapped at the very end of the stroke. Thats the best way to bleed the system.

BruceH   Posted Monday, Jan 8th 2:53am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1083

Atlanta, GA USA
81 323 Baur, 85 745
Shouldn't drink and type....clutch disc is backwards. Had EXACTLY the same scenario. Ray Avena was there and will verify. Remember Ray?

myersport   Posted Monday, Jan 8th 3:18am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 184

east tennessee
'82 320iS. '91 327iC
I agree with Bruce. Actually he confirms what I mentioned on your thread on bimmerforums. I've been there before, no need to ask B how he knows. We went to the same school on this one!
--Dennis

BruceH   Posted Monday, Jan 8th 3:26am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1084

Atlanta, GA USA
81 323 Baur, 85 745
Yeah... Dennis, Ray and I should have read "clutches for dummies"

marinersfan   Posted Monday, Jan 8th 3:56am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 65

Springfield, Missouri
78 320iS
Can you BLAME me for actually choosing to be in denial? Tearing the tranny out is the absolute LAST thing I wanted to do. If I'm lucky I can do it without removing the header. Looks like she's going back up on the ramps. I can't BELIEVE I didn't triple check the placement of the plate but then chemo was doing weired things to my memory back then. I should be lucky it even runs as well as it does. I'm just surprised the pedal has 100% travel. I would think the pedal would stop half way down if the plate was in wrong. AlaskaBimmer mentioned the same symptom when he put his in backwards....

imaradiostar   Posted Monday, Jan 8th 7:49am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 982

Nashville, TN
81 323i, 82 525i, 85 524td, 90 535i
don't the clutch discs usually say "oben" or "out" or something?

jamie

BruceH   Posted Monday, Jan 8th 3:27pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1085

Atlanta, GA USA
81 323 Baur, 85 745
Apparently not marked well enough. I admit that I am an amatuer wrench but Dennis is a pro.

imaradiostar   Posted Monday, Jan 8th 5:02pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 983

Nashville, TN
81 323i, 82 525i, 85 524td, 90 535i
Even for pros this happens- one of the guys at work put a clutch in an E46 not too long ago and the the disc was reversed. We almost couldn't get it apart because the disc got stuck in the fingers of the pressure plate!

jamie

marinersfan   Posted Tuesday, Jan 9th 2:42am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 66

Springfield, Missouri
78 320iS
You were ALL wrong! Sorry fellas. Nope the clutch master wasn't bad and neither was the slave. Even after spending 2 1/2 hours today to remove the header pipe, driveshaft and evenutally drop the tranny even the clutch was installed in the correct position. But the next time you guys try to help someone with the similar situation as mine? Be sure to ask them if the installed more than ZERO bolts to attach the pressure plate to the flywheel. Yup! You heard me right! While I had the whole thing on the engine stand I mounted the tranny without even bothering to put a single bolt to hold the pressure plate.

I don't even feel as though I deserve a beer for tearing it down and making this ridiculous discovery.....

I proclaim self nomination for this years Darwin Award...what a way to start the year...

GO SEAHAWKS!!
GO BUCKEYES!!

BruceH   Posted Tuesday, Jan 9th 2:49am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1086

Atlanta, GA USA
81 323 Baur, 85 745
Oops... Oh well, fix it and move on.

myersport   Posted Tuesday, Jan 9th 2:59am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 184

east tennessee
'82 320iS. '91 327iC
At least we got you to the right area. It definately sounded mechanical and not hydraulic. Glad to hear you got it figured out! That's why we're all here.
--Dennis

Oh yeah, Buckeyes rule!!
--Dennis(Ohio State Veteran)

marinersfan   Posted Tuesday, Jan 9th 3:09am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 67

Springfield, Missouri
78 320iS
Getting me to the right area you guys definitely did!! Thanks to you all fellas!!

Yeah Dennis even though I'm a west coast kid I did my high school years in Mansfield, Ohio during the Woody Hayes era so I've always been a Buckeye fan.

Greg323i   Posted Tuesday, Jan 9th 3:39pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 283

Melbourne, Australia
1982 Hennaröt 323i
marinersfan wrote:
Yeah Dennis even though I'm a west coast kid I did my high school years in Mansfield, Ohio during the Woody Hayes era so I've always been a Buckeye fan.

My high school years were done in Ashville, Ohio. Go Vikings!!

myersport   Posted Wednesday, Jan 10th 12:49am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 184

east tennessee
'82 320iS. '91 327iC

Quote:

Oh yeah, Buckeyes rule!!
--Dennis(Ohio State Veteran)

High school in Cleveland, College in Wild, Wonderful Columbus, along the banks of the Olentangy!
--Dennis

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.