Tech Forum : Shifter bushing change

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - Shifter bushing change
g323   Posted Sunday, Jan 14th 11:51pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 81

California
323i 1982
I bought everything to do half the job, every part on the cup that attaches to the rod that goes into the tranny,
see
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=1831&mospid=47174&btnr=25_0096&hg=25&fg=05

I ended up not using the Cup because it was different than the one in the picture, although I now realize I could have used it.

The parts that i used in the end were
1 new pad for the inside of the cup
the o-ring that goes on the cup/bar connection,
and a new clip for the cup/bar conection.

I tried getting in the other plastic washer and the new pin, but to no avail, its too cramped under my car!

I got the cup on, i spent an hour and a half trying to put the pin in, I really dont think from that angle i could have gotten it in with the full pad, so I cut the pad in half, battled a 1/2 hour more and got it on. All i changed in the end was the pad, and the clip, and the rubber o-ring. The shift is much much tighter now, It amazing what 7 dollars in parts can do...(even though i spent around 35 to get the neverused-cup too!)

I very much recomend anyone who wants a 1 hour job to improve shifting, to simply change the o-rings on the bar. I feel most of the play was reduced there, as the previous one had rotted away. It would be like 5 dollars in parts, the o-ring and a new clip. It is what I would do if I were to go back in time. IF you want to dedicate 2 hours, put have the pad in, god, putting that full pad in without taking out the dam down-tubes......i aplaud anyone that could do it!

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.